Week 12 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, those are nuanced details any young CB will improve on with more experience. Spoon still has issues staying in-phase, out of his jam when in press-man.... neither guy is perfect every snap. Overall though, I believe some of the catches Moseley has given in the last 3 weeks has been a by product of the types of QBs he's faced and less about his ability or technique. Maybe not on that particular route highlighted above. But overall in trying to contain two very slippery QBs who buy alot time with their feet to locate secondary targets when coverage breaks down.

Trust me, I'm VERY happy with Moseley's play and of course Spoon will allow some catches himself. But just saying, lately Moseley HAS started to allow a decent amount of catches....While at the same time making his fair share of plays. It's exciting knowing that Spoon/Moseley when they have played have been two of our best players on the entire team. 

They had no answers for No. 90 in gray: the lanky, powerful disruptor for the Seahawks, whose speed, power, and unrelenting will eventually broke the 49ers. Jadeveon Clowney dominated that contest in a way defensive ends rarely can in the modern NFL, and he did it with just one official sack. The Packers have chaos agents of their own who could follow a similar path, but Green Bay has an advantage the Seahawks did not: Mike Pettine has two. In week 10, Pro Football Focus charted Clowney with 11 pressures and 4 QB hits.  Mike McGlinchey and Joe Staley each gave up 7 pressures in the contest on a night when Jimmy Garoppolo never found comfort or rhythm in the pocket. According to NFL’s NextGen Stats, Jimmy Garoppolo was a paltry 3/18 for 59 yards and a pick on 10+ yard passes against the Seahawks, the lowest completion percentage (16.7%) by a QB this season with at least 15 attempts. He also posted one of the worst performances in terms of air yards per pass of the season.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/11/19/20972415/packers-49ers-week-12-pass-rush-preston-smith-zadarius-smith-brothers-sunday-night-football

200.webp?cid=790b7611a93f2e118791702bd90

I don't expect pristine pockets or 5+ seconds of protection all game long, or even often. 

Just protect your bod the best you can, and PROTECT THE FOOTBALL, Jimmy. 

18 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

200.webp?cid=790b7611a93f2e118791702bd90

I don't expect pristine pockets or 5+ seconds of protection all game long, or even often. 

Just protect your bod the best you can, and PROTECT THE FOOTBALL, Jimmy. 

Don't get me wrong, the Pack's version of the Smith Bros can cause us problems. But I thought Carolina's D was going to murder our O-Line but they held up pretty well. We've faced great pass-rushers all year. The game Clowney had was aberration and not how our O-Line normally performs in pass-protection.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

. The game Clowney had was aberration and not how our O-Line normally performs in pass-protection.

I think you're probably right. I petitioned that Clowney be immediately drug-tested after that game, but never heard back. 

I also demanded that Joe Staley and McG be tested, but for very different reasons. :P 

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I think you're probably right. I petitioned that Clowney be immediately drug-tested after that game, but never heard back. 

I also demanded that Joe Staley and McG be tested, but for very different reasons. :P 

We inserted two OTs, coming off lower leg injuries, into a highly competitive, playoff-like atmosphere. They were rusty and not as prepared for the intensity as most would have hoped....stranger things have happened. I wouldn't bank on that happening twice if I were a 🧀head though...

Edited by 757-NINER

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

I’m a little concerned with our pass rush with Ford and Blair out. Buckner and Armstead will need to be on top of their game because Bosa won’t be enough. If they can get pressure, which I expect them to, then it’s a double digit win. 

I think it needs to be even more than just those 3. DJ, Moore, or Solly need to bring it. Maybe a surprise tfl or two from julian taylor too

13 hours ago, rudyZ said:

You should try telling Richard Sherman he's lost a step. And that Rodgers is going to pick on him.

Rodgers has historically been scared of even throwing it Sherman's way.  When he played for Seattle, there were games where he didn't throw a single pass at any receiver Sherman was covering.  It seems like the key to beating Rodgers is to keep him in the pocket, rush with just your front four, and drop people back in coverage.  He will wait and wait in hopes of seeing Devante Adams open.  Make sure Adams is blanketed and keep Rodgers in the pocket and he shouldn't do too much damage.

Is Kittles going to be back in action this week?  If he is, you should win.  TE's are a big achilles heel to the Packer defense.  They often do some damage.  A guy like Kittles should feast on them.

Best of luck, and here's hoping you give the Cheese a good beat down!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Rodgers has historically been scared of even throwing it Sherman's way.  When he played for Seattle, there were games where he didn't throw a single pass at any receiver Sherman was covering.  It seems like the key to beating Rodgers is to keep him in the pocket, rush with just your front four, and drop people back in coverage.  He will wait and wait in hopes of seeing Devante Adams open.  Make sure Adams is blanketed and keep Rodgers in the pocket and he shouldn't do too much damage.

Is Kittles going to be back in action this week?  If he is, you should win.  TE's are a big achilles heel to the Packer defense.  They often do some damage.  A guy like Kittles should feast on them.

Best of luck, and here's hoping you give the Cheese a good beat down!

Yeah, Rodgers didn't even look Sherman's way last year at all. Maybe threw his direction once when he was playing off coverage on a quick hitch route. 

Kittle is going to be a game time decision. Shanny said he's doing better than he's done the past few weeks, but still isn't practicing so I wouldn't hold my hopes of him playing. I was really wishing he would be back this week but even if he's not, we should be fine if Sanders is able to go and finish the game unlike last week.

If Ford was healthy, then I'd be confident our front four could get pressure on Rodgers but with him out and then his back up Blair out, it gets a bit more tricky. But Moore looked pretty explosive last game and had a nice preseason so he may be able to do some damage himself. 

Excited for the game! 

• Like 1

But this is not the Sherman of old. He's definitely lost a step and will give up underneath routes....especially when he's playing off. 

But with Spoon coming off a injury, he'll most definitely see the majority of passes coming his way. He and Saleh should expect as much. Williams will be busy in the slot as well.

The key will be if their O-Line can contain our front four and if our run game shows up on offense. If we can get back to running the ball and chewing up TOP,  keeping Rodgers on the sideline, it could be a long night for them.

Edited by 757-NINER

22 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But this is not the Sherman of old. He's definitely lost a step and will give up underneath routes....especially when he's playing off. 

But with Spoon coming off a injury, he'll most definitely see the majority of passes coming his way. He and Saleh should expect as much. Williams will be busy in the slot as well.

The key will be if their O-Line can contain our front four and if our run game shows up on offense. If we can get back to running the ball and chewing up TOP,  keeping Rodgers on the sideline, it could be a long night for them.

Sherman is playing better than he did last season and Rodgers still didn't look his way. Really the only three QBs that have targeted him have been Winston, Mayfield and Murray. Even Wilson didn't look his direction much at all. The man is on pace to allow under 300 yards which is pretty insane. 

Spoon will definitely get more targets as Rodgers will want to test him since he will likely be some what rusty. But I'm fine with that. QBs are either 6-19 or 5-18 throwing in his direction this season. He may even come up with a INT if Rodgers tries to go at him one too many times. Honestly, I expect our secondary to play well. What it's going to come down to is how much we can contain both their backs in the run and pass game. The Packers KILLED the Chiefs with a bunch of quick passes to Jones. Being without Alexander, we are a bit vulnerable in that area. If we limit the run we should A-okay.