Week 12 GDT: The OJ's vs The Broncos

Trentwannabe

Playoff football is right around the corner. Can the Bills actually be in the tournament for the second time in three years? Sunday is another test that comes on the brink of a brutal December. 

Last 5 Games:
2017: Denver 16 @ Buffalo 26
2014: Buffalo 17 @ Denver 24
2011: Denver 14 @ Buffalo 40
2008: Buffalo 30 @ Denver 23
2007: Denver 15 @ Buffalo 14

Bills have won 3 of the last 5 and lead the all-time series 21-16-1.
Home team has won the last 3 meetings.

Same Faces, New Places:
Bills WR Isaiah McKenzie was drafted by the Broncos in the 5th round in 2017. 
Broncos RB Coach Curtis Modkins was the Bills OC from 2010-2012 under HC Chan Gailey

Fun Facts:
The Bills had a trade in place with Denver during the 2018 draft that Denver later decided against because they wanted to select DE Bradley Chubb. The Bills took QB Josh Allen two picks later.
Bills CB Tre White recorded his first career INT against Denver in 2017.
Bills K Stephen Hauschka kicked 5 EXP and 2 Field goals in a win in Super Bowl XLVII against the Broncos.
Bills WR John Brown and Broncos WR Cortland Sutton lead the AFC in WR receiving yards. 

Analysis:

The magic number for the Bills is likely 10. Ten wins and they'll be looking good to get back to the playoffs for the second time under HC Sean McDermott. The Bills sit at 7-3 with a home record of 3-2 while the Broncos sit at 3-7 and a road record of 1-4. Seems pretty simple right? Well That Bronco defense may say otherwise and this team is not to be taken lightly. I expect an all out dog fight on Sunday with both offenses struggling for long portions of the game. Bills QB Josh Allen is coming off arguably his best game as a pro but being able to sustain that and his impressive streak of a minimum two touchdowns per game and no INT's will be tested here. The Broncos don't give up many passing yards (5th best in the league) and they are no slouch against the run (11th). Brian Daboll will need to have another game plan like he did last week that finds and exploits the defense's weakness. 

On Defense the Bills have been tinkering with a few positions. Star and Levi Wallace are playing less and Jordan Phillips and Kevin Johnson are playing more. Expect to see that trend continue on Sunday. We've seen Tre White lock down receivers all year and outside of one play and some garbage time stats, he did the same last week. I would expect him to be manned up on Cortland Sutton most - if not all day long. Denver losing their FB last weekend in a gruesome injury is going to effect their ability to run. Did the Bills finally solve their issues against the run last week, or is Miami that bad? Royce Freeman and Phillip Lindsay will give us an answer one way or another.

In the end, though the records are drastically different, I see two very talented defenses and two offenses capable of big plays and potential play makers. The main difference? Josh Allen compared to Brandon Allen/Joe Flacco. That edge goes to the Bills. As does home field. With that I say the Bills pull one out against a tough opponent who in future years will cause some headaches for a lot of teams.

Bills 21
Broncos 13

• Like 1

You could argue this might be the biggest game of the season sitting at 7-3 with (2) teams right behind us at 6-4. 

With Dallas, Baltimore and the Pats coming up, we really need to take advantage of the Broncos, Steelers, Jets games to get to 10-6. I don't think it's out of the question to beat one of those (3) teams (pats, dal, balt) but getting to 10 wins gets a lot harder if we drop this game and go to 7-4.

Edited by The BILLievers

To me this game is a must win. The bills fans going to the game need to be hyped and scream as the opponent Allen is going to be playing his #2 game on the road and communication was said to be difficult for them while on the field last week. The dline needs to bring what they brought to Miami last week and shut the run down while wrecking Allen. 

As for the bills offense continue to try grinding the ball on the ground and allow Allen to make shorter throws with few deep passes. I still would like to see more screens either to singletary or mckenzie.

I would also be interested in seeing both Duke and Yeldon active. I know special teams is important but Foster sitting this one out might be best as well as perry. The offense needs these guys more so then special teams.

10 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

To me this game is a must win. The bills fans going to the game need to be hyped and scream as the opponent Allen is going to be playing his #2 game on the road and communication was said to be difficult for them while on the field last week. The dline needs to bring what they brought to Miami last week and shut the run down while wrecking Allen

As for the bills offense continue to try grinding the ball on the ground and allow Allen to make shorter throws with few deep passes. I still would like to see more screens either to singletary or mckenzie.

I would also be interested in seeing both Duke and Yeldon active. I know special teams is important but Foster sitting this one out might be best as well as perry. The offense needs these guys more so then special teams.

This post contain the 3 things I wanted to say. I absolutely would love to see a big body (Williams) and a safety valve (Yeldon) for Allen active and allowed to contribute. We need options on the field, to keep opposing D's, especially one as formidable as Denver's, guessing. Daboll likes to surprise and be unpredictable, but I'd rather see him call a game similar to last week's Miami game and just have more weapons on the field. Josh can target them in the passing game, but just having them on the field will force their defense to account for more players...yielding more one-on-one situations we could exploit. Our D-line does need to make their QB nervous by constantly get in his face. Lost in Denver's terrific defensive performances this year, is an offense that can occasionally put up a decent amount of points in a short period of time. We can't let them get comfortable or confident. And lastly, yep, this IS a must-win game. The Jets are no longer a sure thing, as they have been playing much better since we defeated them. I want to believe we can handle the Cowboys, but the Turkey Day game is their legacy. Their fans will have the day off and they will be there supporting them loudly...in what will likely be a must-win game for them. Straight up, I have no faith in us beating the Ravens and until we show we can be consistent, I still think the Pats have to be favored in that game. If we lose to the Broncos, we likely will not play a respectable game in the playoffs either, assuming we even make it. The Steelers game is the only one left I feel completely confident about, so hopefully it's not going to be a trap game!  IMHO, our playoffs start this weekend.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Not really on here but Bronco fans and media members online have to be the most confident and cocky 3 win team I have ever seen O.o

My wife and I are down in Buffalo this weekend. Her and I haven't see a loss at the Ralph since we were in high school in 2009 so I am confident. 

confident and cocky is an understatement. The funny thing is the media allows them to boast about how they will beat the bills. So if bills lose they say they are pretenders. If bills win they say they beat a 3 win team again and have nothing to show for it. No matter what happens it is still Buffalo vs Everybody like every other weekend. Continue to be the underestimated team with a cake schedule even though the world had us pegged at 6 wins max this year before the start. Lets  continue to beat what our opponent is on schedule and hope that they come through as it would be a great game on turkey day being 8-3.

Edited by soflbillsfan