The Season - an outlook after week 1

KC_Guy

Wow, that was a great game. And it probably inflated hopes. So here's my outlook:

Week 2: Philadelphia @ Arrowhead: Will be interesting to see Reid trying to outscheme his former disciple. Both teams suffered a tough injury loss week 1.But with a long week to prepare, at home, I definitely think the Chiefs will win this one.

Week 3 - 5: @ Chargers, Redskins at home, @ Houston: I consider them all doable. Chargers might be the toughest team amongst those three.

I really think the Chiefs may start the season 5 - 0.

Week 6 - 9: The toughest stretch of the year: Pittsburgh, @ Oakland, Denver, @ Dallas. I don't think Denver is a good as they were last year. Dallas may depend on the availability of Zeke, but they are really good especially along the OL. Oakland is absolutely dependent on Carr, although they've got some nice building blocks around them, especially on the front 7. Pittsburgh: Uggh .. I hate to have to face them. Bell gives me the jitters, and Big Ben is who he is. I'd be ok if the Chiefs get a 2 -2 out of those four games.
A bad thing: The Oakland game is a Thursday night game, and includes travel to the west coast, thus little time to prepare after a definitely tough game. I'd probably consider flying from Pittsburgh to California and set up camp there for the week.

That might give the Chiefs a 7 - 2 going into the bye week (love it to be somewhere in week 9 - 11, so great timing this year).

After the bye it's @Giants,  Bills, @Jets - could be 3-0, or 2-1. Let's be conservative and pick the latter.

The final stretch: Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, @Broncos. Three games against the division. Decisive in a potentially close division. Good thing: The Chiefs will have three games at home. I'll go conservative again: 2-2.

That gives me a 11-5 season. Will that be good enough to win the West? Not sure. But it could go better or worse, especially if the Chiefs are unable to compensate the Berry injury or suffer injuries to other key players. That said: any news on Tyreek? He hobbled off the field last week ...  

8 hours ago, jimmydee said:

I think Hill was cramps..... shud be ok

This was in fact the official word. Steven Nelson and Eric Berry should be our only notable injuries going into week 2.

Honestly, I think week 1 was a very a very encouraging week for us. I was very underwhelmed by the NFC East, which was supposed to be the toughest chunk of our schedule according to some. Both Washington and Philly looked one dimensional in favor of the passing offense, but both also made key mistakes in the passing offense against less opportunistic defenses than ours. The Giants just looked lost offensively. Granted no OBJ, but still. We knocked out New England, and the rest of the AFC East really isn't that frightening. Pittsburgh was surprisingly close with Cleveland, but admittedly, divisional games can do that. Houston was just a mess.

Which leaves our division. Who all more or less performed as we would expect them too. But we've had a strong run in the division, so hopefully that can continue.

I would've said 11-5 before the season. With one unexpected win already, I'm thinking higher now.

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This was in fact the official word. Steven Nelson and Eric Berry should be our only notable injuries going into week 2.

Honestly, I think week 1 was a very a very encouraging week for us. I was very underwhelmed by the NFC East, which was supposed to be the toughest chunk of our schedule according to some. Both Washington and Philly looked one dimensional in favor of the passing offense, but both also made key mistakes in the passing offense against less opportunistic defenses than ours. The Giants just looked lost offensively. Granted no OBJ, but still. We knocked out New England, and the rest of the AFC East really isn't that frightening. Pittsburgh was surprisingly close with Cleveland, but admittedly, divisional games can do that. Houston was just a mess.

Which leaves our division. Who all more or less performed as we would expect them too. But we've had a strong run in the division, so hopefully that can continue.

I would've said 11-5 before the season. With one unexpected win already, I'm thinking higher now.

I can easily see us going 5-0 to start the season this year.

Hey good job this season so far guys. IMO you guys are definitely the best team in football. My pre season prediction was Packers over Chiefs in the SB. Might come true. 

I'll be at the Chief @ Raider ThursdayThursday Night game coming up though and cheering my butt off for the Raiders ;)

One of us will be in the Super Bowl. No more Pats this year. 

Archived