Offseason Work to do

mwalker

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

A little disappointed in the Hilliard WR coach hire. I was really happy with the news it would be that dude from SC that had both a running game background and some OC duties under his belt. 

Nothing against Hilliard personally, but I really wanted coaches who could call plays added. 

I'll take the other side on this.  As a huge SEC fan, I was disappointed when it was announced that McClendon was the hire.  He was not fought for my Kirby Smart to keep on the UGA staff, and couldn't even keep the OC job at SC.  I know he has experience with calling plays, but not successfully.

I'd rather have a specialized WR coach to make our WR's better and that's it.  I am sure that Hillard will make some points in offensive meetings, but his primary role will be to make our young WR corps better, not get mixed up in schemes and whatnot.

I was nervous about a too many cooks situation... I feel on the offensive side of the ball we have a lot of dudes who are good at coaching positions and making their dudes better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kurgan said:

I'll take the other side on this.  As a huge SEC fan, I was disappointed when it was announced that McClendon was the hire.  He was not fought for my Kirby Smart to keep on the UGA staff, and couldn't even keep the OC job at SC.  I know he has experience with calling plays, but not successfully.

I'd rather have a specialized WR coach to make our WR's better and that's it.  I am sure that Hillard will make some points in offensive meetings, but his primary role will be to make our young WR corps better, not get mixed up in schemes and whatnot.

I was nervous about a too many cooks situation... I feel on the offensive side of the ball we have a lot of dudes who are good at coaching positions and making their dudes better.

Didnt realize McClendon lost the OC duties. He has had a lot of success where he has gone looking at his history still and in various roles - RB Coach, running game coordinator (for a really successful running game), assistant head coach, OC, WR Coach, etc. There was a lot to like, I think. Ultimately, the only thing that really attracted me to him was his work as an OC and Co-OC within a running game background. If he isn't successful there, that's a completely different thing. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Matt Canada is the guy who can call plays. I like the Hilliard hiring.

You would hope, but its more about just having 1 guy available that can call plays (thought is super nice to know Ficther COULD actually be fired now, because someone else could step into his duties unlike last year).  But my want all along has been a complete transformation of offensive coaching room, with an emphasis on game builders. Its not going to matter how good our talent is or how much Hilliard improves our young guys if the game plan is made to fail. We cant go out on 3rd and 7 and call 4's across the board and wonder why no one gets open, like we did so often last year. It wont matter how pinpoint DJs footwork is when there is no nuance to your design and defenders are just sitting on the sticks. 

We cant open a game with a first down. That's tragic. I want more people to help build that plan and outline of attack. I want more people to throw their hand in the preparation for run game design. I want people who have found ways to use motion, false reads, and route combos to help the talent. If Ficther wasnt such a weak point, I would really like the move. But I cant help but see it as a missed opportunity to build that room out a little more completely. 

Maybe Matt Canada and Fichtner can do all of this stuff together, I dont know. But I know that I love the fact that they went out of their way to bring 4 coordinators together into our defensive room in order to improve. I'm afraid they think that Ben alone makes things better. 

Although this might get deleted, I would like to thank Mike Tomlin for ripping ESPN and OTL a new one in defense of Rudolph.  If you have not seen the interview he did on First Take, look it up on youtube. ESPN would ruin Rudolph's career/reputation for clicks and views with less than zero proof.  All Steeler fans should be proud to have Tomlin as a coach.

source.gif

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Although this might get deleted, I would like to thank Mike Tomlin for ripping ESPN and OTL a new one in defense of Rudolph.  If you have not seen the interview he did on First Take, look it up on youtube. ESPN would ruin Rudolph's career/reputation for clicks and views with less than zero proof.  All Steeler fans should be proud to have Tomlin as a coach.

source.gif

ESPN is a joke. The fact all of this has been made out to be what it has is because Rudolph is White. If he wasnt, if he was ANYTHING but White that card wouldn't have gotten played 

👔

16 hours ago, wwhickok said:

ESPN is a joke.

I have made several comments about the lack of integrity in sports journalism. In fact, it does not seem to exist in mainstream media anymore either.  Some in the media create their own stories simply to get people to click, read or buy.  The "anonymous source" card is heavily played by members of the media as well. ESPN was created to be an around the clock news source for everything sports. They were known for being cutting edge, fun, brash and stylish in their reporting.  Chris Berman and the late Stuart Scott reported stories with panache! They did it in a fun but always in a credible way.  I hope ESPN and a lot of other news sources get back to that. The clickbait and hype stories are a deliberate smack in the face to every sane and educated person.  

The fact all of this has been made out to be what it has is because Rudolph is White.

I know that politics, religion, and race are frowned upon here in this forum. It should also be heavily frowned upon in sports.  Despite some of the early segregation and separation (racial and sexes), sports has been the one place that athletes can simply be athletes.  Sports united all people and all cultures.  I remember being in downtown Pittsburgh after the Steelers defeated the Vikings in SB IX in January 1975. I saw my hometown united and partying like never before. It was rich, poor, black, brown, red, white, yellow, and polka dot (lol) all united and celebrating the Steelers first Championship. In my humble opinion that is the way, things should be.

What saddens me more is to see a man of color (Miles Garrett) falsely utilize "the race card" without realizing the consequences that it has to legitimate concerns of people of color. Unfortunately, hatred, division, sexism, and racism exist in this world. At the end of a Steelers-Browns game, it should not have even been brought up and based on the evidence presented, IT WAS NOT SAID. 

I honestly believe that IF that happened, Garrett would have said something right away and disciplinary actions would have hopefully and rightfully been taken. His teammates would have said something and Coach Tomlin would have said something IMMEDIATELY. Again, this was a football game between rivals and actually took away from a strong statement Cleveland Browns win. This should never go personal and definitely was WRONG on Garret's part and distasteful for the ESPN media to stir the pot so to speak. Nuff said and rant over.

If he wasn't, if he was ANYTHING but White that card wouldn't have gotten played 

I hope to help put this sorry topic to bed so to speak. Let's leave the "Race Card" stuff alone.  I believe Garrett made that claim in an attempt to try to prevent getting suspended and losing some serious $$$.  In my opinion, he made another mistake by not owning up to it. And now has made another mistake by standing by this falsehood instead of owning up to it, realizing the consequences of his actions were far more reaching than just a Steelers-Browns rivalry and have consequences in the credibility of issues concerning people of color.  He is young and someone needs to pull him aside and school him of the severity and IMPACT of making a false racial claim. ESPN should not add any fuel to that.

Miles is a great football talent but I lost some of my respect for Miles Garrett the young man.  His character and integrity are now up for scrutiny and question. There are enough problems in the world and it certainly does not need anything else to contribute to the volatility and separation that exists in this country. I think Coach Tomlin stepped up as a coach and a man by his actions to call out the media and defend his player.  We have had countless debates and discussions about Coach Mike Tomlin, but I think no one can question his character and integrity by his actions. Hats off to Coach T for doing the right thing. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the new CBA is in place the 30% rule goes away, right?

IIRC yes...which would greatly help the Steelers with the restructures that would allow them to sign a FA or two.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jebrick said:

source.gif

ESPN is full of race baiting activists.  I forget her name, but there was that dumb black chick who was fired from ESPN for constantly playing the race card.  They also had that one clown who callec out lack of diversity in coaching and ownership and insinuated it was racist to fire Hue Jackson, a coach who went 1-31.

Bottom line....ESPN is just another lying mainstream media outlet who cares more about money than the truth, and controversy and drama generate more money.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Did he gain weight?   Havent seen him.

he looked fine in the last pic I saw of him a few months ago

the giant beard and coats he was wearing on the sidelines made him look fat, but wearing a T--shirt and jeans he looks like a healthy 6'5 250 dude

this was taken about a week ago

EQ1jvUPWkAIwiJO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by August4th