Offseason Work to do

mwalker

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just want more play callers in the room. We were not going to move on from Fichtner. But we can add more knowledgeable people into the room. 

No Salary cap on coaches in the NFL. Hire, Hire, Hire. 

this

do what they did on the defense when they hired Austin to help the secondary. Hire a guy to be the "offensive assistant/QB coach" it can't hurt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Cole Kmet moves to the top of the class.  I am interested for Thad Moss if he comes out.  Both of those would be worth the 2nd.  Hopkins is a weapon but not a blocker.  Would be Jesse James all over again.

I have a friend who has said that of the 5 really good RBs( Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, Swift and Etienne)  in this draft, at least 1 will be there when the Steelers pick.  I would have a really hard time taking any RB in this draft even though any of those 5 are really good.  This is a pretty deep class in RB.  I like Eno Benjamin in the 3rd but I would have a hard time justifying taking him.  Which RB do you cut?

IMHO, the Steelers need a deep threat WR, TE, IOL.  Assuming they sign Dupree, EDGE depth.  This draft class is really good in WR, RB, OT, IDL.  So do you take a TE or IOL at #49 because the class is so weak?  Or close to 1st round talent at WR because of the depth of the class?  I like Nick Harris, C, Wash.  I also like Jalen Reagor WR, TCU.  If pushed I would take Harris but there is many months before the draft.

The thing is that a RB probably makes the biggest year 1 impact. A TE probably close  behind especially in terms of snaps....I’m assuming Finney or Feiler at LG in this scenario.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Fichtner staying shouldn’t surprise anybody.

Exactly.  He was always going to get a mulligan after Ben went down and even moreso after injuries to Juju and Conner.

Not that he should...but I had no doubt he would get a pass.  At the very least, at least there is SOME logic to support that decision.

The retaining of Danny Smith, however, is just gross incompetence in the front office.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Chieferific said:

As far as the TEs...If you're talking about taking a TE with the 1st pick (#49) the only one worth that spot (imo) is Hopkins.  Pickney and Kmet MAY be there with the 3rd Comp and Parkinson should be and will perhaps be even into the later rds.  Given the talent difference between Pickney/Kmet and Parkinson, I'd wait a round and take Parkinson.  Then grab another need with that 3rd Rd Comp pick (DL Elliott or OG Breedson...etc.)  I like Hopkins best but I'm not sure if that's the best investment with the 1st pick.  I know I'll be called crazy but (assuming Dupree is resigned) I'd take Cam Akers with the 1st pick and I wouldn't blink. 

Ah yes. I forgot about Hopkins. You're right. I also really like your mid round suggestions - Elliott at DT and Bredeson the OG.
While we're at it, another dynamic 'move TE' might also be Washington's Hunter Bryant. He's really more like a very big WR, but he's
a potential match up nightmare.

As far a running backs go, I'd say this...our backs are all too similar, broadly.
We need an injection of speed on our O at WR and RB. Now they may not be our our most
pressing needs, but this offense really needs some separation and open field dynamism 
if we want to be more explosive. I think JuJu is great on one side, Dionte might be, but at the slot.
Then I think Washington is solid player, but if we could land a real separator at the other wide
to pair with JuJu and Dionte, we'd have some scary weapons. J.Reagor would be interesting.

I also really like Lynn Bowden as a later round weapon. I think he'll be a great utility type receiver
at the next level. Big time athlete.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The thing is that a RB probably makes the biggest year 1 impact. A TE probably close  behind especially in terms of snaps....I’m assuming Finney or Feiler at LG in this scenario.

Who are you going to cut?  If you are drafting a RB in the 2nd you are giving up on either Conner, Samuals or Snell.

Edited by jebrick

I would cross RB off the list, personally. The only way I would go down that road is if its a great value late with KR ability. 

You want value from RBs based on contracts. Connor, Samuels, and Snell are all still on rookie deals. Ride it out this year and see what happens. Taking a RB now would make little sense to me as Connor is still the Bell Cow when healthy, and while that's an issue you already have Snell in the room to carry the load if that happens. When Samuels was healthy he was pretty good in that 3rd RB role. 

If you were taking a back, you would just have to explain their role to me moving forward. You have to be ready for injuries, but you don't just straight plan for them. You could take a RB and have Connor be healthy for 16 games and you are just sitting there with a wasted draft pick in either of the last 2-3 years. 

This isnt the year to do it. See how Connors health/LT contract work out, see how Snell responds after a full off-season, and see the kind of role that those three carve out together with Ben back. 

I can see them taking a back late, but they could look at whyte as that late rd back. they just got him a season earlier. whyte can be our full-time KR who can get carries to change up the pace sine he's easily the fastest guy in the RB room. that should have value. I can samuels being cut if whyte has a great preseason

Edited by August4th

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Who are you going to cut?  If you are drafting a RB in the 2nd you are giving up on either Conner, Samuals or Snell.

Let Samuels and Snell battle it out...just mid round picks...best man win.

I know Snell could go LevBell and lose a bit of weight etc etc but Samuels seems to be limited to 3rd down ditoes(good in pass pro).

I’m looking at this in a more short term way...the fastest path to help the Steelers for 2-3 years as in the same way the GM is constructing this team.