Offseason Work to do

mwalker

11 hours ago, August4th said:

Bill, troy and maybe faneca getting in the hall. I like our shot at playing in the HOF game..also might be on hard knocks

Could be wrong, but dont teams need to agree to be on Hard Knocks?   Not sure we would.  Would be interesting, though.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Could be wrong, but dont teams need to agree to be on Hard Knocks?   Not sure we would.  Would be interesting, though.

The exemptions are having a first year head coach, making the playoffs within the last 2 years and if you were on hard knocks the last 10 years. So the Steelers will be eligible and it’s mandatory if they are selected.

• Like 1

Here is my updated mock: 

2. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
3. Neville Gallimore, NT, Oklahoma
4a. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
4b. Evan Weaver, ILB, California
5. Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty
6. Zack Shackelford, C, Texas
7. Julian Blackmon, S, Utah

29 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Here is my updated mock: 

2. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
3. Neville Gallimore, NT, Oklahoma
4a. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
4b. Evan Weaver, ILB, California
5. Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty
6. Zack Shackelford, C, Texas
7. Julian Blackmon, S, Utah

I really think that’s a reach for Albert O. He’s not very good. He looks awesome, but he’s not a very good football player. Old school Mizzou comp, but he reminds me of Martin Rucker. Looked great at catching wide open passes and was built like a tank. Bad at everything else.

PFF just released a story that said Bud is one of the most overrated free agents. They say his pressure rates were bad and he’s not as good as his raw sack number so indicated. I want everyone to remember that PFF said the exact same thing about T.J. Watt after his rookie year. Yes, they said it about Vic Beasley and they turned out to Ben right, but remember that they’re not always right. If Bud keeps at it I think this past year will be a good baseline for him. 

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

PFF just released a story that said Bud is one of the most overrated free agents. They say his pressure rates were bad and he’s not as good as his raw sack number so indicated. I want everyone to remember that PFF said the exact same thing about T.J. Watt after his rookie year. Yes, they said it about Vic Beasley and they turned out to Ben right, but remember that they’re not always right. If Bud keeps at it I think this past year will be a good baseline for him. 

People forget he was recovering from surgeries the past few offseasons IIRC.

Overall I’d be amazed if he’s not a Steelers come September wether it’s on the Franchise Tag or IMO, a long term deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hate PFF and dont care what they say, but I am nervous about giving Bud a long term deal.  He played great this year, but how much of that was contract year-itis?  We are supposed to pay him elite money based on one year?

This feels like the type of situation where Steeler fans will champion and support a new huge contract, but if it doesnt work out, they will bash the front office for doing it.

Its a tough situation.  I expect we will keep him, but Im going to be cautiously optimistic at best, and if its too much, I probably wont be happy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I hate PFF and dont care what they say, but I am nervous about giving Bud a long term deal.  He played great this year, but how much of that was contract year-itis?  We are supposed to pay him elite money based on one year?

This feels like the type of situation where Steeler fans will champion and support a new huge contract, but if it doesnt work out, they will bash the front office for doing it.

Its a tough situation.  I expect we will keep him, but Im going to be cautiously optimistic at best, and if its too much, I probably wont be happy 

Well I’ll eat my crow if it doesn’t work out. I always do. Sometimes players take longer than others. I think TJ and Heyward are good leaders and will keep on Bud and make sure he stays on top of his game. Also, it seems like guys that get big contracts on a really good defense rarely regress horribly. Seems like guys that play on bad teams are more likely to get contract-itis. At least that’s something I’ve noticed, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Well I’ll eat my crow if it doesn’t work out. I always do. Sometimes players take longer than others. I think TJ and Heyward are good leaders and will keep on Bud and make sure he stays on top of his game. Also, it seems like guys that get big contracts on a really good defense rarely regress horribly. Seems like guys that play on bad teams are more likely to get contract-itis. At least that’s something I’ve noticed, I could be wrong.

My issue isnt keeping Bud, but his price skyrocketed after this season.   One year doesnt convince me he deserves top money.  Im not saying he will suck if we resign him, but do I have faith he will continue playing at a top level?  Not necessarily.  One great season doesnt dismiss how mediocre he was before that.

Maybe he turned a corner...or maybe he just had a career year the year he was playing for a new contract.

That scares me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, DR43 said:

Here is my updated mock: 

2. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri MOST have a Mid-Rd grade on him.  There's others I'd prefer and with a later pick.
3. Neville Gallimore, NT, Oklahoma May go in the 1st.  As much as I'd despise taking a DT with the 1st pick, you can't pass on him. I'd run to the podium.
4a. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State Ranked a little high imo and I think they are content with AL/Chuks/Banner and I don't feel he's better then any of them tho he could provide depth.
4b. Evan Weaver, ILB, California Solid replacement for VW but Baron needs to be replaced and it isn't gonna be by him. 
5. Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty A wasted pick imo. Yeah he's big but that's it. There isn't a roster spot for a player that only catches jump balls. 
6. Zack Shackelford, C, Texas Great value here if you can get it
7. Julian Blackmon, S, Utah Nice developmental player