Offseason Work to do

mwalker

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I like the Matt Canada hire. I have a feeling that when Ben Calls it quits 

AV, Pouncey,  Heyward, Haden Tomlin, Butler, Fichtner, and Colbert will do the same. When that happens it would not surprise me if Matt Canada becomes the future OC and Austin the future DC under whomever becomes the next HC

anything to remove fichner unless somehow he is great with ben at QB but that wasn't the case last year either.  That looks like a dark age above once all those players are gone, lets see how they continue with a good roster after all those players are gone, it won't be easy

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I like the Matt Canada hire. I have a feeling that when Ben Calls it quits 

AV, Pouncey,  Heyward, Haden Tomlin, Butler, Fichtner, and Colbert will do the same. When that happens it would not surprise me if Matt Canada becomes the future OC and Austin the future DC under whomever becomes the next HC

None of this comment makes much sense.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

What I'm suggesting is that there is a large group of guys that are going to retire with Bem and that the Canada hire is as much about the future as it is..the present

Meh, Tomlin is still in his 40's. I don't see him going anywhere. I don't think it's exactly a Hot Take to suggest players in the 30's will be gone in the next year or 2.  Nor is Canada taking over for Fichtner if his struggles continue.  But I agree, when Ben retires it will trigger some other changes. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

What I'm suggesting is that there is a large group of guys that are going to retire with Bem and that the Canada hire is as much about the future as it is..the present

I know what you're saying, but I dont see the logic.   Players and coaches aren't going to retire en masse just because Ben retires.  

Now, you could say that most of them will not be far be behind, but not because of Ben.   They are just getting up there.

Tomlin and Colbert's current contracts end the same time Ben's does (after 2021).   If we have a couple of bad seasons, they may not be retained.  However, Tomlin is still young for a coach.  He isnt going to retire unless he wants to take the Cowher route and get into broadcasting.  I doubt it though.   If he leaves, he will very likely be a coach elsewhere.

As far as Canada, he has proven very little, and nothing in the NFL.  Nothing wrong with liking this hire, but its totally jumping the gun to believe he might be our future OC.  Certainly not out of the question...but if Colbert and Tomlin left, the entire front office will be overhauled with likely no holdovers.

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Colbert's contract ends after the draft this year.  Will they extend him?  I am guessing so but I would guess he might have one more year in him.

He made reference that he would like 1 more year and get to leave when he wants to.  I think him and Tomlin are basically year by year, and if I had to put my gut on the line, they'll stay 1 year after Ben, Ben and Pouncey retire together.

On 2020-01-17 at 8:58 AM, warfelg said:

He made reference that he would like 1 more year and get to leave when he wants to.  I think him and Tomlin are basically year by year, and if I had to put my gut on the line, they'll stay 1 year after Ben, Ben and Pouncey retire together.

while your gut is on the line, do we make the playoffs next year, possibly their final year? Or will is be a 3peat of missing the post season?

Edited by 3rivers

Kyle Shannahan laughs at the people that thought the offensive line was the problem and not the offensive play caller for the Steelers this year. 

The seemingly simple I-Form run to the right behind a lead blocking FB, which ends in a playfake, wide receiver reverse from the slot with the FB who stated right pulling around to the outside left? Yikes.  Fichtner doesn’t that have mentally in the bag. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Kyle Shannahan laughs at the people that thought the offensive line was the problem and not the offensive play caller for the Steelers this year. 

The seemingly simple I-Form run to the right behind a lead blocking FB, which ends in a playfake, wide receiver reverse from the slot with the FB who stated right pulling around to the outside left? Yikes.  Fichtner doesn’t that have mentally in the bag. 

fichner has ben telling him what to do, did you forget?