Offseason Work to do

mwalker

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I still have Kmet as #1.  Moss helps the TE draft but he still has his warts.

As do all.  I like his inline ability more and while neither are overly dynamic I give Moss the slight edge.  Depending on how the Board fell, I'd be fine with either.  

They need an impact offensive skill player going into next year...whether it’s in the draft or somehow FA.

Draft is loaded at WR and RB....TE is dog poo.

Starting to think they’ll try to keep MacDonald by asking him to a pay cut....if he doesn’t he gets cut outright and they resign Vannett for sure(they may regardless)

15 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Starting to think they’ll try to keep MacDonald by asking him to a pay cut....if he doesn’t he gets cut outright and they resign Vannett for sure(they may regardless)

This is the train that I have been on. I think McDonald is back, but (hopefully) on a different deal. I think their best option is to have McDonald and Vannett both on roster and still try to get a TE in the draft with potential to be the new #1 moving forward. Tight end is a really bleak position in general, so I am okay with continuity at a better cost and a hope to upgrade in the draft. 

McDonald doesnt have a good enough career to garner a ton of attention on the open market. His career highlight is ending Chris Conte's career (and that 1 play accounted for 12% of his yards on the year).

I don't know, I always try to think of this stuff from an agent/front office leverage perspective and Vance has none. Injuries and fairly weak production would have me hoping he would be willing to take a prove it type of deal with Big Ben back in the fold and hope he could get one more decent contract as he turns 31 next off-season. I would think his worst case would be to hit FA as the 4th or 5th best guy and end up in a poor situation that essentially ends his career with bad QB play. 

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

They need an impact offensive skill player going into next year...whether it’s in the draft or somehow FA.

Draft is loaded at WR and RB....TE is dog poo.

I'm not sure we'll have a chance to get an impact player on offense in the draft. Maybe a RB, but I doubt it. I am, however, very hopeful that we'll see massive improvements in our existing skill guys. I think Diontae Johnson and James Washington will take major steps forward. Also, I'm not sleeping on the potential of Deon Cain. I think plugging Ben into our offense reignite the engines. Plus we'll hopefully have a full strength Connor and JuJu. I'm not arguing that we could use some talent, because we absolutely need a TE that can do something, but I won't be devastated if we don't grab any top tier weapons. I think O-line will be addressed early and often.

• Like 3

considering how many teams have lots of cap space, I expect Dupree and Hargrave to get deals in UFA from other teams that the steelers won't match.  With the would be cap space from a Dupree signing, would you let Ola and Skipper play out this season (maybe draft player too)  and sign a player in the $15M range? This would be similar to what some expected Dupree to sign for, so would you sign say AJ Green instead? Or an OL? Maybe a slot CB or a CB and move Nelson to the slot. 

JJSS not staying healthy was a concern moving forward, especially since it's his knee. I see a new WR on the team either in UFA or a higher draft pick.  Not AB either, he will be in jail by then

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

There is no cap space from losing Dupree.  Same as there is no cap space from losing Hargraves.  If you are going to spend $15M on a player it might as well be one that is not washed up(A.J. Green)

Green has the injury concern. Saved cap space as it the cap used to sign players on top of the existing team total cap as it stands. They might have $20M to spend's, or less considering rookies. The colts will have around $90M, somehow some teams have all this cap remaining every year. I was surprised because I thought every team would almost max out their cap annually. 

On 1/21/2020 at 6:15 AM, jebrick said:

This is a very good draft for centers as well.  I could easily see them getting a really good player there

Yea, Cushenberry and Biadasz or both really solid. I also think despite the down year D.Williams will be a player too.

• Like 1