Offseason Work to do

mwalker

On 1/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

They need an impact offensive skill player going into next year...whether it’s in the draft or somehow FA.

I am not so sure that is the root cause of the offensive skills position woes as much as no Big Ben at QB.  I think that getting a some interior OL help is what this offense needs more than anything else.  They need some guys who can generate a push downhill and block more to James Connors downhill style of running that Lev Bell's bob-weave and go style.  Our OL's are typically better pass blockers, but they could use some guys to help get the run game going better. Big Ben helps the OL as well because he called out many of the line calls as well.

Draft is loaded at WR and RB....TE is dog poo.

Certainly if someone is there grab one if they are the top player on your board. But, I think they have some good developmental guys like Deion Cain and Karyth White. If WR is as deep as they say it is then they may be able to grab a quality big man or fast man in 4th, 5th or even 6th round.  As far as the TE position, we need some help.  Vance is a better than average TE. he has a better than average salary cap $$$.  I think Vance is on a tier below the elites like Kelsey and Kittle.  Some may say two tiers below, but with a better than average QB, he is pretty darn good and effective.  Vance can put up numbers in the right offense and with the right QB. I think that Vannett has the potential to be a Mark Bruener type of TE for the Steelers. I think he can block fairly well and is capable of catching 45-55 balls in our offense. 

You need either someone like Gentry or CSW to take the next step or draft someone. Yes the pool is not talent rich, but their are some who can give you slid blocking orr solid receiving. We don't see the next Kittle in this class....But you never know as Kittle was not a #1draft choice, but a #3, I believe. 

Starting to think they’ll try to keep MacDonald by asking him to a pay cut....if he doesn’t he gets cut outright and they resign Vannett for sure(they may regardless)

I would re-sign Vannett regardless.  In fact, I would start their at TE.  If Vance took a pay cut or salary restructure cool.  I doubt it because he would be a great pick-up for a team like Green Bay catching passes from A-A-Ron!  

On 1/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, jebrick said:

This is a very good draft for centers as well.  I could easily see them getting a really good player there

I think that myself and some others have discussed or lobbied for the drafting of a Center for a few years.  The team had Finney and felt secure, but now, they need some young guns. Their are some good centers from what the early dratf buzz is on the position.  While we like the pass blockers, we need some guys who can outright bull some people over. Go Big and McNasty or go home!  We may be able to get a starting caliber Center who can rotate on the OL as back-up for a year or two or compete as a LG. Ben is getting older and while I still think he can light it up passing, he would be well served with a consistent rushing attack and a great defense (a la Denver and Peyton Manning and Elway late in their careers).  Ben's talents haven't eroded as much as say Peyton's late in his career, but that rushing attack would do wonders for our offense and Randy Fitchner would start to look like an offensive genius. :D

On 1/20/2020 at 3:04 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not sure we'll have a chance to get an impact player on offense in the draft.

As I stated earlier the impact player on offense should be an interior OL. If the Steelers can consistently run downhill, look-out. Our passing game will be better simply by virtue of a healthy Big Ben. We don't need a WR to make an impact as a rookie like DK, Deebo or even Dionte next year if everyone stays healthy.  Unless a big time RB falls in round, two, three or four, I would prefer to potentially sign a veteran o compete and for stability. 

Maybe a RB, but I doubt it. I am, however, very hopeful that we'll see massive improvements in our existing skill guys.

Agreed: Growth from getting to play as rookies, OTA's, and training camp growth year two, and Big Ben. 

I think Diontae Johnson and James Washington will take major steps forward. Also, I'm not sleeping on the potential of Deon Cain.

Iagree. Don't sleep on Ju Ju either.  I loved what I saw of Cain early and a full year with Big Ben with help as well. The wideouts may be a urprising strength in 2020, especially if the OL can get the run game going more consistently.

I think plugging Ben into our offense reignite the engines.

Bingo!!!!

fbf9e48fe748b6c0532332892f1c11f5--psycho

Plus we'll hopefully have a full strength Connor and JuJu. I'm not arguing that we could use some talent, because we absolutely need a TE that can do something, but I won't be devastated if we don't grab any top tier weapons. I think O-line will be addressed early and often.

While we may not have a Big Ben, Bell and AB of 2017 on our roster, our offense can be just as good, if not better with the following:

1. An improved OL that can consistently run the ball.

2. Our consistent and improving defense, gettting even better with a run stuffer inside to help stop the run inside.

3. Big Ben is back!

4. Improvement at TE.

5. Edmonds takes the next step forward at SS and some safety depth. 

While the Steelers don't have a ton of cash to sign their own F/A's  let alone get a high impact one or two from elsewhere, they can get some key parts from the draft and the mid to lower tier free agent.  Pass rushing DT's will cost more than the run stuffing guys because they don't put up sexy stats, but they help you win chanpionships.  Early in the year it is typically stop the pass, but come play-off time, you better be able to run the ball, stop the run, score points and control the clock.  This team really isn't that far off.  Easier and less expensive to get solid inside blocking than 100 catch and 1200 yard receivers or 1300 yard rushers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

While we may not have a Big Ben, Bell and AB of 2017 on our roster, our offense can be just as good, if not better with the following:

1. An improved OL that can consistently run the ball.

2. Our consistent and improving defense, gettting even better with a run stuffer inside to help stop the run inside.

3. Big Ben is back!

4. Improvement at TE.

5. Edmonds takes the next step forward at SS and some safety depth. 

While the Steelers don't have a ton of cash to sign their own F/A's  let alone get a high impact one or two from elsewhere, they can get some key parts from the draft and the mid to lower tier free agent.  Pass rushing DT's will cost more than the run stuffing guys because they don't put up sexy stats, but they help you win chanpionships.  Early in the year it is typically stop the pass, but come play-off time, you better be able to run the ball, stop the run, score points and control the clock.  This team really isn't that far off.  Easier and less expensive to get solid inside blocking than 100 catch and 1200 yard receivers or 1300 yard rushers. 

1. No way the OL is comparable to when Munchak was here

2. pass defence is much better but run defence has major issues. Tuitt could solve that but it's something to observe as the season goes on

3. we don't know if ben will be the way he was a few years ago, wait and see. Lets hope he doesn't throw teammates under the bus if it doesn't go as planned

4. hopefully, and most important is being healthy / reliable. Too bad Vance can't stay healthy, time to move on

5. I will have to see it to believe it.  I am a skeptic on this comment

Might as well add Connor staying healthy, but can we rely on that? I  hope whyte gets more chances.

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

1. No way the OL is comparable to when Munchak was here

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say the OL is as good as when Coach Munchack was here. I was saying that our entire offense can be as good if not better with the following improvements that I listed below.  Interior OL help is needed to jumpstart the rushing attack. OL is better at pass protection and the style of running that Bell did as oppossed to the downhill smash-mouth style of Connor. 

2. pass defense is much better but run defense has major issues. Tuitt could solve that but it's something to observe as the season goes on.

I agree completely.  I have been saying run stuffing NG for first and second down.  You need to have both run stuffers and pass rushers. 

3. we don't know if ben will be the way he was a few years ago, wait and see. Lets hope he doesn't throw teammates under the bus if it doesn't go as planned.

I am not expectig Ben to be Ben of age 29 or 30, nor do I think he has to be.  Time to balance the offense.  Instead of throwing 40 - 45 passes a game, it is time to get better at running and ball control with our defense improving. In a perfect world a 35 - 25 run pass ratio on average would be pretty effective for the offense. You had other personalities and issues that I believe contributed to that. Not saying Ben handled his part well, but the locker room stuff and internal bickering will wear on people.  I think Ben has grown. I look at how he handled the AB situation after AB was gone. I am not too worried about Ben's behavior at this point. I would be more concerned that he does not lose too much in his arm talent (strength and accuracy).

4. hopefully, and most important is being healthy / reliable. Too bad Vance can't stay healthy, time to move on.

Definitely need some help at TE. Vance has a high $$$ cap hit.  Can they draft and or someone else step up at the position?

5. I will have to see it to believe it.  I am a skeptic on this comment

You are certainly allowed to be. I respect your right to agree to disagree.  I think despite the injuries with a decent QB and improved rushing attack, this team may have been able to imulate what the Titans did in the play-offs although I think the Ravens game would have gone differently (I.E. they would not have taken the Steelers lightly because of the history). 

Might as well add Connor staying healthy, but can we rely on that? I  hope whyte gets more chances.

You can never predict health. We said the same thing about Bell early as well. He kept getting hurt early in his career. I am a Connor and Ju Ju fan and I think they bounce back big in 2020 with some help on the OL and ole #7 coming back to lead the team. I think we are all intrigued with Whyte's speed and the fact that he offers a much different style than anyone else on the roster or what we have had at RB in a long time. 

It looks like the TE class is improving with every day. A bunch of guys showed up at the senior bowl. I wonder if college offenses just don't utilize TEs as well as they should. Seems like every year there are TE prospects that seems very average by their college numbers and then come to the NFL and become very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It looks like the TE class is improving with every day. A bunch of guys showed up at the senior bowl. I wonder if college offenses just don't utilize TEs as well as they should. Seems like every year there are TE prospects that seems very average by their college numbers and then come to the NFL and become very good.

i disagree for what the Steelers look for in a TE.  All of the TEs in this draft are projects

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

i disagree for what the Steelers look for in a TE.  All of the TEs in this draft are projects

Agreed.  This year's crop of TEs are the Flex TE type (little to no blocking ability). Basically a big WR with little to no inline ability. That hasn't been the Steeler M.O. for the position.  Pickney and Parkinson and a couple other later Rd picks (my guy Cooley) are more their style but the list is short. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Agreed.  This year's crop of TEs are the Flex TE type (little to no blocking ability). Basically a big WR with little to no inline ability. That hasn't been the Steeler M.O. for the position.  Pickney and Parkinson and a couple other later Rd picks (my guy Cooley) are more their style but the list is short. 

Thad Moss is rugged type guy. Cole Kmet is a guy that can probably block more than he was asked to. Trautman looks like he could be a dual role TE. I think the class doesn't have an elite guy, but it is deep. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Thad Moss is rugged type guy. Cole Kmet is a guy that can probably block more than he was asked to. Trautman looks like he could be a dual role TE. I think the class doesn't have an elite guy, but it is deep. 

I agree about Kmet and Moss. One could be there @ #49 but this class is not deep in terms of "Steeler" TEs. Imo anyway. 

• Like 1

I think Pinkney and Parkinson (maybe Trautman or Okwuegbunam) are the most Steelers-like, if past characteristics are what we're looking for.
So many of these TEs are really move or h-back types: T.Moss, C.Kmet, H.Bryant (UW).

H.Bryant (FAU) who won the Mackey, appears to have the size we look for, but from what I have read, is still less of an inline blocker. So similar to B.Hopkins.

I don't think we have the draft capital to do it, but you could argue drafting two contrasting types - H.Bryant - UW (big receiving type) and C.Parkinson (good blocker),
could transform our offense in the future. Kind of like a poor man's Gronk and Hernandez tandem.

Moss is closer but still has 1 year of production but he can block which is what the Steelers like. And I want to see Randy waving a terrible towel.  The Steelers missed out on him by one pick.  Stephen Sullivan, the other LSU TE is another fit for the Steelers but they can get him in the 7th.  Charles Woerner from Georgia and Nate Wieting from Iowa. Woerner might get drafted late and Wietling is a UDFA but they'd be useful #2 or #3 TEs.

• Like 1