Offseason Work to do

mwalker

What are your top draft/free agent priorities for the Steelers right now?

Here's what I think:

1. Interior OL (G or C) - - Finney and or Foster will be gone. Need a powerful interior guy. Although I now like the idea of keeping DeCatro and Feiler on the right side and moving huge Zach Banner to LG.  He can't pull as well as Foster or Finney, but man is he a road grader.  It would also help hide some of his pass blocking by being inside.  He would fit Connor and Snell's downhill style.

2. Safety Depth -  - Davis may be gone and then only Dangerfield and Allen are back-ups.  Not to mention that there are some questions that Edmunds will need to answer.  If they can re-sign Davis, it is a little less of an immediate priority. It may be wise to try to sign Davis to a one year deal to see if he grows and he probably won't command starter money after sitting out most of the year and not having great numbers when he has played.

3. Tight End - - Salary is the problem with keeping Vance. I would try to come up with a more cap friendly number, but he could probably get some looks elsewhere and still make some money.  I think Vannett is a keeper, so re-sign him and insert him as #1. CSW and Gentry would battle for #3.  My hope would be to draft someone to be a developing #2 to eventually start in a year or rotate with Vannett.

4. ILB & depth - - ( I would cut Mark Baron due to $$$). That would leave Bush and Vince as starters.  Dirty Red is special teams if he re-signs, so help is needed here either way.  

5. OLB depth - - Ola and Skipper seem promising, but not sue that I can completely trust them in that role, especially if there were an injury or Bud didn't re-sign.  Need some talent here.

6. CB depth - - Best starters in Haden and Nelson that the Steelers have had since the 90's.  Lane takes Burns spot and hopefully Hilton is re-signed. If not Cam is the slot CB, but a body or two will also be needed if they lose one or two here.

7. WR Depth - - Great draft for WR's. You can't ignore that.  I like the young guys the Steelers have though. I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers selected a WR at some point this draft.  They seem to be very good at finding and drafting WR's.

8. Back-up RB - - This is not as big a priority, but if a good player falls or is the highest rated in a particular round, it may be hard to pass him up. They have a solid nucleus of RB's, but there are also a lot of questions with them all: Connors and Nix - - Can they stay healthy? Snell - - Can he be a potential RB1 if Connor goes down?  Samuels - - Can he be more than a third down receiver?  Whyte - - He has great speed, but can he be more than a potential #3 or #4? 

9. Back-up or development QB -  -  The Steelers organization says publicly that they are fine with Mason as the back-up and Duck and Paxton growing and competing for the #3.  What happens if a good QB is sitting there at #49 or in the third round?  

1 hour ago, August4th said:

sounds like cutting Vance and bringing him back on a cheaper deal is the best thing they could do at the TE position for 2020 season. I think he could still help in the receiving game with a healthy Ben.

But will Vance go for that?  I would think that there are a few other teams with cap space and that would be willing to pay him more in the neighborhood of what he is looking to make (which is more than what the Steelers can afford).  It would be great if we could get him for a cheaper salary, but not so sure he would take a discount or would have to take on to play.    

Because of his age and salary demand/request, Foster may not sign elsewhere if no one is willing to shell out comperable $$$ to what he wants. 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

sounds like cutting Vance and bringing him back on a cheaper deal is the best thing they could do at the TE position for 2020 season. I think he could still help in the receiving game with a healthy Ben.

how   is it a better deal or even a good deal if he can't stay healthy.  Better off getting a player that is reliable and overall is of more value to the team. 

24 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Better off getting a player that is reliable and overall is of more value to the team. 

do they have the cap space or draft capital to get that guy, tho?. I think they can get a upgrade from Vance, but I'm not sure if they have the money to do so. They would have to get lucky and hope some bargain bin FA guy or rookie TE breakouts for us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think we have to face it that our TE situation is still going to suck next year.

My prediction...

Vannett

Jesse James

Rookie/Gentry

That’s what my prediction was like a month ago but James contract is weird....according to overthecap the Lions would only save $3 mill but eat $7 mill for cutting him. 

Pretty much a given at least 1 of Vance or Vannett will be back next year....I would like to get Ebron but that’s doubtful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August4th said:

do they have the cap space or draft capital to get that guy, tho?. I think they can get a upgrade from Vance, but I'm not sure if they have the money to do so. They would have to get lucky and hope some bargain bin FA guy or rookie TE breakouts for us.

probably not, but what else is now, they never have cap anyways, so get used to it as fans

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think we have to face it that our TE situation is still going to suck next year.

My prediction...

Vannett

Jesse James

Rookie/Gentry

This is how I see it, no real issue at TE. We don't have a pro bowl type TE, so will have to score and mov the chains in other ways, thats where coaching and once upon a time HOF QB, and OL need to have a say

TE is way down the list from what I expect.  I see colbert signing dupree (overpaying of course) and then there's no cap left after rookies are signed and some left if in season  trade is required .