Offseason Work to do

mwalker

A rookie TE even a 2nd rounder probably doesn’t contribute a ton year 1.

In terms of a WR, I’m starting to like the idea of throwing another mid rd pick at it due to the great depth of this WR class....especially if it’s in the Martavius Bryant mold of raw size/speed project who main strength is downfield threat.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:38 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

What are your top draft/free agent priorities for the Steelers right now?

Here's what I think:

1. Interior OL (G or C) - - Finney and or Foster will be gone. Need a powerful interior guy. Although I now like the idea of keeping DeCatro and Feiler on the right side and moving huge Zach Banner to LG.  He can't pull as well as Foster or Finney, but man is he a road grader.  It would also help hide some of his pass blocking by being inside.  He would fit Connor and Snell's downhill style.

2. Safety Depth -  - Davis may be gone and then only Dangerfield and Allen are back-ups.  Not to mention that there are some questions that Edmunds will need to answer.  If they can re-sign Davis, it is a little less of an immediate priority. It may be wise to try to sign Davis to a one year deal to see if he grows and he probably won't command starter money after sitting out most of the year and not having great numbers when he has played.

3. Tight End - - Salary is the problem with keeping Vance. I would try to come up with a more cap friendly number, but he could probably get some looks elsewhere and still make some money.  I think Vannett is a keeper, so re-sign him and insert him as #1. CSW and Gentry would battle for #3.  My hope would be to draft someone to be a developing #2 to eventually start in a year or rotate with Vannett.

4. ILB & depth - - ( I would cut Mark Baron due to $$$). That would leave Bush and Vince as starters.  Dirty Red is special teams if he re-signs, so help is needed here either way.  

5. OLB depth - - Ola and Skipper seem promising, but not sue that I can completely trust them in that role, especially if there were an injury or Bud didn't re-sign.  Need some talent here.

6. CB depth - - Best starters in Haden and Nelson that the Steelers have had since the 90's.  Lane takes Burns spot and hopefully Hilton is re-signed. If not Cam is the slot CB, but a body or two will also be needed if they lose one or two here.

7. WR Depth - - Great draft for WR's. You can't ignore that.  I like the young guys the Steelers have though. I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers selected a WR at some point this draft.  They seem to be very good at finding and drafting WR's.

8. Back-up RB - - This is not as big a priority, but if a good player falls or is the highest rated in a particular round, it may be hard to pass him up. They have a solid nucleus of RB's, but there are also a lot of questions with them all: Connors and Nix - - Can they stay healthy? Snell - - Can he be a potential RB1 if Connor goes down?  Samuels - - Can he be more than a third down receiver?  Whyte - - He has great speed, but can he be more than a potential #3 or #4? 

9. Back-up or development QB -  -  The Steelers organization says publicly that they are fine with Mason as the back-up and Duck and Paxton growing and competing for the #3.  What happens if a good QB is sitting there at #49 or in the third round?  

I agree that S, TE, OL are top priorities -- in whatever order you believe and who is available on draft day.  I prefer TE with the top pick, but I understand the options aren't great. 

On 1/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, AlanFanecaFan said:

In terms of a WR, I’m starting to like the idea of throwing another mid rd pick at it due to the great depth of this WR class....especially if it’s in the Martavius Bryant mold of raw size/speed project who main strength is downfield threat.

He might catch some TDs on the goal line. Remember when Matt Spaeth caught like 6tds in his first 5 games? Lol

On 1/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Heath Miller begs to differ. I know he was a 1st rounder, but he was drafted at #30.

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

Heath Miller begs to differ. I know he was a 1st rounder, but he was drafted at #30.

That’s an outlier....not the norm. Plus we’re talking 50 picks in.

The only way a rookie plays a significant role in year 1 is if they cut MacDonald/dont sign a vet TE and only roll with Vannett and said rookie..

35 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The only way a rookie plays a significant role in year 1 is if they cut MacDonald/dont sign a vet TE and only roll with Vannett and said rookie..

Yeah you're right on this one. TE is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL. I would assume it's because they have to learn blocking schemes and actual route running all at the same time.

The RBs or IOL in this draft can make an impact year 1 because the draft class is so deep.  They will be able to get 1st round talent in some positions in the 2nd round.  TE is not one of them.  I would expect that anyone who needs a Te to trade infront of the Steelers to get their favorite.  This is not a class to take the #2 TE in the 2nd round.  This class is LOADED with centers.  They do need one and they could play OG/OC for a year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The RBs or IOL in this draft can make an impact year 1 because the draft class is so deep.  They will be able to get 1st round talent in some positions in the 2nd round.  TE is not one of them.  I would expect that anyone who needs a Te to trade infront of the Steelers to get their favorite.  This is not a class to take the #2 TE in the 2nd round.  This class is LOADED with centers.  They do need one and they could play OG/OC for a year.

I am going to try my hand at an early mock over the next day or so.  Who do you like at C?  

1. C/G Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin.  6’3”, 321 lbs.  - - The name alone gets me. He sounds like a Steeler.  I have began looking at some film on him and I like what I see thus far.

2. Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 6'5 310 lbs. - - I love the size and potential

3.  C/G Ceasar Ruiz, Michigan 6'4 320 lbs. - - Michan OL's are usually pretty darn good. Typically #2 to the big Huskies linemen, but this kid looks like he can open some holes and develop into the next level.

4. C Matt Hennessy, Temple. 6'4 303 lbs.  - - An unpolished Pouncey type.  He is decent at run blocking and better at pulling and pass protection. Not ideally what I would want, as I think we need a mauler or two on the OL for the rushing attack. He seems smart and he is Temple tough!

10 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am going to try my hand at an early mock over the next day or so.  Who do you like at C?  

1. C/G Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin.  6’3”, 321 lbs.  - - The name alone gets me. He sounds like a Steeler.  I have began looking at some film on him and I like what I see thus far.

2. Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 6'5 310 lbs. - - I love the size and potential

3.  C/G Ceasar Ruiz, Michigan 6'4 320 lbs. - - Michan OL's are usually pretty darn good. Typically #2 to the big Huskies linemen, but this kid looks like he can open some holes and develop into the next level.

4. C Matt Hennessy, Temple. 6'4 303 lbs.  - - An unpolished Pouncey type.  He is decent at run blocking and better at pulling and pass protection. Not ideally what I would want, as I think we need a mauler or two on the OL for the rushing attack. He seems smart and he is Temple tough!

No Cushenberry? Biadasz would take pick #49 so that's a big investment (especially if Pouncey and Foster are kept). Out of that list, I'd take Ruiz and he can be had later.  Fun fact: Ruiz is the cousin of a co-worker/friend of mine. 

• Like 1

Cushberry and Ruiz can both play OG.  i would guess Biadasz could as well.  Humphrey is going back to school or he would be my #1.  you do not even havev Nick Harris on there who would be one of the better OCs but better for a zone blocking scheme

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Cushberry and Ruiz can both play OG.  i would guess Biadasz could as well.  Humphrey is going back to school or he would be my #1.  you do not even havev Nick Harris on there who would be one of the better OCs but better for a zone blocking scheme

My instincts on Harris have been  - great technician for his age - really under sized and weak. I think that's accurate.
He was really pushed around this past week. Agree on Cush and Ruiz. And Biadasz. Also like D.Williams later on.

22 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

And that is likely to happen. I think if they intend to re-up Bud Dupree, McDonald is going to be a cap casualty.

Also, I am not saying any rookie TE they bring in will be the next Miller. Just that you cannot make a blanket statement that one cannot make an impact year 1. There were several last year for other teams who did just that.

14 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

And that is likely to happen. I think if they intend to re-up Bud Dupree, McDonald is going to be a cap casualty.

Also, I am not saying any rookie TE they bring in will be the next Miller. Just that you cannot make a blanket statement that one cannot make an impact year 1. There were several last year for other teams who did just that.

I never made a blanket statement...my original post said probably doesn’t contribute a ton year 1...which turned out to be true.

Hockenson didn’t do much but without looking up snap counts, probably played a solid amount...but again he went 9th overall. 

Fant did better than expected but IIRC struggled with drops. Irv Smith didn’t do much.

Some 2nd year guys stepped up...Andrews and Gesecki come to mind...IIRC Higbee and Jonnu Smith played well but they off the top of my head are 2nd or 3rd year guys as well.

I realize TE is a need...however even if a rookie plays a solid amount, he probably doesn’t do a lot for the team year 1...that’s all I’m saying.

3 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I never made a blanket statement...my original post said probably doesn’t contribute a ton year 1...which turned out to be true.

Hockenson didn’t do much but without looking up snap counts, probably played a solid amount...but again he went 9th overall. 

Fant did better than expected but IIRC struggled with drops. Irv Smith didn’t do much.

Some 2nd year guys stepped up...Andrews and Gesecki come to mind...IIRC Higbee and Jonnu Smith played well but they off the top of my head are 2nd or 3rd year guys as well.

I realize TE is a need...however even if a rookie plays a solid amount, he probably doesn’t do a lot for the team year 1...that’s all I’m saying.

Fair enough. Seems I misread your previous statement as a definitive. My apologies.