Offseason Work to do

mwalker

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t see the problem with keeping him. Not everyone can be John Henderson. It would be great if Dan could have developed into something but he didn’t. I just don’t think we need to spend money on his replacement because he plays one of the least important roles in football.

Not asking him to be John Henderson, but to give me than he has. He is an upgradeable player. I am not saying to replace him with Aaron Donald.  I am not suggesting spending big bucks because I think that he can be replaced with someone in his salary range or a promising rookie. Again, I am not opposed to him competing. If he wins out as he did, then alright, but give him some competition. He is very upgradeable in my humble opinion. And yes, I am disappointed with his play. I am not expecting him to be great, but to be the best that he is capable of. He has too much natural ability and talent to be what he has been. To Chief's point, that is why he was down on him. I drank the kool-aid on him. I was wrong.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Not if it costs us improvement at more important positions. Filling holes becomes more nuanced when you have a QB making this much money.

You keep going back to money.  I believe he can be upgraded at similar price.  BFN is making about 1.5 Million a year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

You keep going back to money.  I believe he can be upgraded at similar price.  BFN is making about 1.5 Million a year. 

So we need to cut a guy who is average, to sign a guy who is average to a similar deal to play a position that is not important? It seems like you want to make a move just to make a move. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

So we need to cut a guy who is average, to sign a guy who is average to a similar deal to play a position that is not important? It seems like you want to make a move just to make a move. 

No.  I want to cut a guy that is terrible and bring in a Rookie that could be better and cheaper.  He offers NOTHING.  Why keep him?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Because he isn’t terrible. He’s average. There’s a difference.

That's where we disagree my friend. I don't think that he is average. I am not suggesting using the top pick on a pure NG with other needs, but after some of today's signings Ebron, Wiz, and Wormley, the Steelers have some options. Looks like Safety depth may be next on the books in terms of pure need perhaps. I am not suggesting spending top dollar to replace him and I wasn't willing to do that to keep Hargraves either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That's where we disagree my friend. I don't think that he is average. I am not suggesting using the top pick on a pure NG with other needs, but after some of today's signings Ebron, Wiz, and Wormley, the Steelers have some options. Looks like Safety depth may be next on the books in terms of pure need perhaps. I am not suggesting spending top dollar to replace him and I wasn't willing to do that to keep Hargraves either. 

I’m fine with taking a plugger with one of our later picks. It is just low on my list of things we really need. If we could have gotten someone like A’Shawn Robinson for cheap, I’d have been all over that. I just don’t value the position in our current defense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m fine with taking a plugger with one of our later picks. It is just low on my list of things we really need. If we could have gotten someone like A’Shawn Robinson for cheap, I’d have been all over that. I just don’t value the position in our current defense.

This is what I was suggesting.  We're on the same page here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

This is what I was suggesting.  We're on the same page here.  

I just don’t know how much better a late rounder will be than McCullers. I liked the kid from OSU, Hamilton, in the 5th but I don’t like him at all in the 2nd. I think there are more important positions to fill in the draft, but I wouldn’t be upset to see someone brought in. But, like someone said, with all the FA signings we will probably draft a NT.