Offseason Work to do

mwalker

58 minutes ago, kurgan said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/03/report-steelers-sign-2019-xfl-sack-leader-dt-cavon-walker/

Interesting signing.... another high upside, young 5 tech/subpackage A/B gap player.  We are investing heavily in this slot right now.

I still think Alualu is in trouble if Tuitt is healthy.

With all the stuff going on in the world today. The nfl season seems like it was years ago. I thought Alualu did a good job, I can’t remember fully, though. Another thought with the new 55 man roster, maybe they want more linemen on defense?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Displayname said:

With all the stuff going on in the world today. The nfl season seems like it was years ago. I thought Alualu did a good job, I can’t remember fully, though. Another thought with the new 55 man roster, maybe they want more linemen on defense?

He did fine... but, he is old and expensive.  We didn't trade for Wormly and going to pay him $2 mil to sit.  Buggs did well in his 75 snaps, and needs to develop.  All of this, and you have to keep a NT (Either Dan or a draft pick).  Add in the fact that Heyward and Tuitt play 80+% of the snaps, and you have a lot of money spent on DL, and someone is gonna sit.  It makes no sense to play Alualu over Wormley or Buggs, IMO.

Again, this is if Tuitt is healthy.  Not saying it is gonna happen, just someting that crossed my mind.  Now, adding another young 5 tech that was the XFL sack leader is more writing on the wall for me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Thoughts on Grant Delpit? I could see him being a guy that slides a little on draft day. Already has gone from a mid 1st rounder to an early 2nd. 2019 tape wasn’t great. 

I actually would run to the podium to pick.  He is a true centerfielder-Free Safety type.  His pass defense is amazing, but his run is spotty.  He has some ankle stuff, so he did not test at the combine but if he slides to us, he could be a long term answer, IMO.

• Like 1

Ebron deal is backloaded...only counts $3.5 mill this year but $8.5 mil next year...they would save $6 mill if they cut him next offseason.

One of him or McDonald won’t be here next year more than likely.

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Thoughts on Grant Delpit? I could see him being a guy that slides a little on draft day. Already has gone from a mid 1st rounder to an early 2nd. 2019 tape wasn’t great. 

Yeah, like @kurgan said. I think his tape looked worse this year because of his ankle. I also think LSU players have a bit of a culture of only showing what they have to to get to the NFL. Look at how much better Greedy Williams tackled for the Browns. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, like @kurgan said. I think his tape looked worse this year because of his ankle. I also think LSU players have a bit of a culture of only showing what they have to to get to the NFL. Look at how much better Greedy Williams tackled for the Browns. 

Similar to both Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey. Both had monster sophomore seasons followed by “disappointing” junior seasons before entering the draft. Can’t say I blame them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Similar to both Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey. Both had monster sophomore seasons followed by “disappointing” junior seasons before entering the draft. Can’t say I blame them.

I don’t blame them either. I mean one bad hit, one wrong fall and you’ve never lost your livelihood. I understand taking it easy can get you hurt too, but I don’t blame them.

I’m in the boat of not viewing WR as a top need. JuJu, DJ, and JW are all young and should keep improving with Ben coming back. However, the more I watch of Jalen Reagor the more I think he is exactly what this offense/team needs. If he’s there at 49 I hope we take a good look at him. Here is a good breakdown I just found

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jalen-reagor-underrated-2020-nfl-draft/

32 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m in the boat of not viewing WR as a top need. JuJu, DJ, and JW are all young and should keep improving with Ben coming back. However, the more I watch of Jalen Reagor the more I think he is exactly what this offense/team needs. If he’s there at 49 I hope we take a good look at him. Here is a good breakdown I just found

I want to see a WR taken that has traits and skills we do not have. I feel like Reagor is a cross between JW and Diontae. That’s definitely a nice player. I just feel like we should be looking at someone like Michael Pittman or Claypool. Someone with some real size. Ebron might take that role, though. Either way, I’m on that Chase Claypool hype train. So much untapped potential.

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I want to see a WR taken that has traits and skills we do not have. I feel like Reagor is a cross between JW and Diontae. That’s definitely a nice player. I just feel like we should be looking at someone like Michael Pittman or Claypool. Someone with some real size. Ebron might take that role, though. Either way, I’m on that Chase Claypool hype train. So much untapped potential.Pittman does have 2-3 inches on JuJu but I feel like they have similar play styles as possession receivers.

DJ is a great route runner and terrific after the catch but he doesn’t have that long speed that will make defenses respect him as a deep threat.

Washington is a good deep threat because he can track the ball and is great at contested catches.

Reagor is a little different because he has that long deep speed that can make a defense change the way they play their coverages ala Brandin Cooks, Desean Jackson etc. He would open up things for JuJu, DJ, and Ebron underneath while also being a threat to take any screen, handoff, or reverse to the house.

Even though Pittman Jr has 2-3 inches on JuJu I think they bring similar play styles to the table as possession receivers.

Claypool is redundant to Ebron IMO in terms of play style even though Claypool>>>>Ebron.

Now I would be happy with both Claypool and Pittman, especially Claypool but IMO Reagor brings something we don’t currently have compared to them.

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

DJ is a great route runner and terrific after the catch but he doesn’t have that long speed that will make defenses respect him as a deep threat.

Washington is a good deep threat because he can track the ball and is great at contested catches.

Reagor is a little different because he has that long deep speed that can make a defense change the way they play their coverages ala Brandin Cooks, Desean Jackson etc. He would open up things for JuJu, DJ, and Ebron underneath while also being a threat to take any screen, handoff, or reverse to the house.

Even though Pittman Jr has 2-3 inches on JuJu I think they bring similar play styles to the table as possession receivers.

Claypool is redundant to Ebron IMO in terms of play style even though Claypool>>>>Ebron.

Now I would be happy with both Claypool and Pittman, especially Claypool but IMO Reagor brings something we don’t currently have compared to them.

Everything for me +1.  I cannot agree any more.  Reagor is the classic "top off the defense guy."  He will open up so much for guys underneath.

I wouldn't be mad, under the right scenario, with Pittman or Claypool (more Claypool).  But, Reagor is just.... different.

• Like 1

My main problem without Reagor is we’re going to have to get him at 49. I think our needs at IOL are bigger than WR, though I do like his speed. Tbh, I didn’t realize Reagor was as fast as he is. But sometimes I do questions Ben’s deep ball. Maybe his new elbow will get him back to his old days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

he's been my #1 want (that *might* somehow) fall to us since the offseason started. I even posted 4-6 weeks ago they should trade up to get him in the 30-35 range if they need to.   he has never played with anything resembling good QB play.  his athleticism is off the charts, I don't care what his combine 40 was. his pads-on play speed and acceleration are a mismatch nightmare anywhere on the field. Anyone who can hit him in stride on a crossing route will feed him TDs

Edited by SlevinKelevra
  • Like 1