Offseason Work to do

mwalker

32 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Against your point about his time at OU... I mean he did finish 2nd in Heisman voting, scored 53 touchdowns, and led them to the CFP. They didn't miss a beat transitioning from Kyler Murray to Hurts last year.

I agree that Alabama's offense looked better with Tua but A) Tua is a generational talent and guaranteed 1st overall pick without injuries and B) Hurts looked like a different player last year compared to his time at Bama. He took his game to a completely different level last season and he was clearly motivated by being cast aside for Tua at 'Bama.  So we are comparing him to the past two #1 overall picks (talent wise). 

Again, I'm not fan of taking him at 49 because of our situation but I do like him a lot as a player. If we had a 1st round pick, I would be more than happy to pick him at 49. 

I guess I was mistaken about OU. I still don't love Hurts' traits. His accuracy and touch are kind of bad. His deep ball is good, but I don't love taking a QB with bad accuracy and touch.  

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

MAYBE if we had a 1st rdr I'd be "ok" taking him @49 (prolly not tho) but no way with our 1st pick.   

The draft would have to fall horribly for the Steelers...hell I’d rather have them draft a pure slot CB to replace Hilton next year(rather than paying him) instead of going QB.

Maybe even another TE cause at least 1 of Ebron/Vance isn’t on this team next year due to cap hits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The draft would have to fall horribly for the Steelers...hell I’d rather have them draft a pure slot CB to replace Hilton next year(rather than paying him) instead of going QB.

Maybe even another TE cause at least 1 of Ebron/Vance isn’t on this team next year due to cap hits.

Yeah, there really isn't any scenario where I'd be happy with him @ 49. 

Hurts is not very accurate.  Of the 3 things I look for in a QB, accuracy, decision making, arm strength, he as 1 which is arm strength.  Again, I would go with Morgan out of Florida International over Hurts and Herbert.  Morgan is accurate and makes quick, good, decisions.  His arm strength is average but could be corrected with some technical changes.

Most QBs are missing something.  For some reason, people tend to fall in love with arm strength and ignore the others(Eason and Herbert).  Fromm has fallen due to a total lack of arm strength but he makes good decisions.  He just needs to speed up his clock.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

I am not sure of the national media's infatuation with mocking us QBs.

The Draft Dudes did a whole pod where they used last year's draft slot to pick this year's players.  So, a world in which we picked 10th this year.  And with Kinlaw, Chaisson, Queen, all the Safeties, hell even Andrew Thomas, we got.... Justin Herbert.

Kiper gives us Hurts.  I've seen others with Love.  I don't get it.  I would be so pissed off.  Angry even.  Trade down, anything... 

1 minute ago, kurgan said:

I am not sure of the national media's infatuation with mocking us QBs.

The Draft Dudes did a whole pod where they used last year's draft slot to pick this year's players.  So, a world in which we picked 10th this year.  And with Kinlaw, Chaisson, Queen, all the Safeties, hell even Andrew Thomas, we got.... Justin Herbert.

Kiper gives us Hurts.  I've seen others with Love.  I don't get it.  I would be so pissed off.  Angry even.  Trade down, anything... 

WTH, is the point of that?  

Dane Brugler did a full 7 round mock draft for the Athletic. Here’s what he had for the Steelers:

2.49 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB LSU

3.102 - Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

4.124 - Troy Dye, LB Oregon

4.135 - Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky

6.198 - Broderick Washington, NT Texas Tech

7.233 - Trevon Hill, Edge Miami

While it’s not my favorite mock, it’s pretty realistic and seems like a Steelers typical draft. He did a pretty good job for doing a full 7 rounds. Gandy-Golden is a classic Steelers WR pick.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Dane Brugler did a full 7 round mock draft for the Athletic. Here’s what he had for the Steelers:

2.49 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB LSU

3.102 - Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

4.124 - Troy Dye, LB Oregon

4.135 - Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky

6.198 - Broderick Washington, NT Texas Tech

7.233 - Trevon Hill, Edge Miami

While it’s not my favorite mock, it’s pretty realistic and seems like a Steelers typical draft. He did a pretty good job for doing a full 7 rounds. Gandy-Golden is a classic Steelers WR pick.

Actually not a terrible draft, other than the glaring hole I see at S.

I'd be OK with CEH and AGG, as I think they help in Year 1.  Dye is sneaky good and was waaaay gone in FFMD by now, but would be a good Barron replacement.  Stenberg is mean, and can play all 3 IOL positions... Washington is not a scheme fit, but is more a gap shooter and less than 300lbs.  But, he is a Steelers type guy that plays more like Hargrave than I am used to.  Hill is about the same athletically as what we already have.

I do like it, I do not love it.  Clearly, in my mind, we are missing a Safety but it is better than most I have seen.

51 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Interesting article showing the players the Steelers have reported to have met with plus their estimated draft position.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/3/9/21168474/a-look-at-the-rankings-for-the-prospects-the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-met-with-to-date-nfl-draft

To me it shows trading back is the way to go

They’ve shown interest in a lot of mid rd edge guys...while I think the rd2 pick will be an offensive player, I’m gonna be surprised if they don’t leave rd4 with an Edge for depth and possibly starting next year.