Offseason Work to do

mwalker

A super off the radar guy I’m excited to see this offseason is CSW, our rugby TE. This year we’ll actually have to use a spot for him on the roster if he’s kept. He’s made massive improvements in the last two off seasons. He’s huge and athletic, he plays at a position of dire need, he should know the system. I know this is extremely over optimistic, but he could make the team as the #3 TE. Vannett or McDonald(whomever is cheaper)/Gentry/CSW. That’s not a great group, but it’s better than relying on the one decent TE prospect to slip to us and actually contribute their rookie year.

Players I'm looking into...

1) Cam Akers RB FSU (Seen enough. Yes please)

2) Joshua Uche Edge Michigan

3) Solomon Kindley OG Georgia

4) Chazz Surratt LB UNC

5) Jordan Elliott NT/DE Mizzou

6) TE: Brycen Hopkins Purdue is the cream of the crop and may go early so...Mitchell Wilcox South Florida or Adam Trautman Dayton or Matt Bushman BYU

7) Denzel Mims WR Baylor

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, August4th said:

maybe they can get him on a cheap 1 yr deal

He has always had drop issues but can really impact the passing game over all. Absolutely would be an upgrade to our pass game but he does not block. He only runs about 1/3 of his snaps as an inline te. Im curious to see who throws money at him this offseason.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Enron is a guy I mentioned about a month back as a FA that would help a lot and more importantly...fit in cap wise.

Cut Vance, resign Vannet, sign Ebron...boom.

Sign Dupree, Hargreves, Hilton, Feller, Canaday, and Banner.  I really do not see much money to sign "name" FA

I am skipping signing Big Red and Dangerfield ( you know they will sign them).

Edited by jebrick

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Sign Dupree, Hargreves, Hilton, Feller, Canaday, and Banner.  I really do not see much money to sign "name" FA

I am skipping signing Big Red and Dangerfield ( you know they will sign them).

I’m not counting on them resigning Hargraves. After looking into it, they possibly could especially with they always have a really low year 1 base salary.

Still, even if they did, Ebron is coming off a 2 year 14 mill deal from the Colts...with him having s off year, I’m thinking we could go get him on a similar deal and have the cap hit be something like yr1 $4-5 mill and year 2 $8 mill or so.

Just spitballing.

Just signing their RFA puts them $10M over the cap.

there is not enough money to sign Feiler, Banner, Hilton, Finney and Vannett.

Hilton is an RFA, to keep him they will have to place a 2nd round tender of $3.3 million on him.
Feiler is an RFA, to keep him they will have to place a 2nd round tender of $3.3 million on him.
Banner is an RFA, to keep him they will probably place the lower tender on him of some $2.4 million.

Vannett, good #2 TEs, the market the past couple years has been 3 years, $14-18 million. The Ravens pay their #3 TE, Nick Boyle 3 years, $18 million with $10 million in guarantees. So, Vannett could have a first year cap hit of $3 million if he signed a similar sized contract.

Finney, I can see some team willing to pay him a 4 year, $16 million deal, again, Finney could have a first year cap hit of some $3 million. The Steelers are going to have to overpay to keep Finney.

So, you add up those 5 players right there and that is $15 million, and that is being conservative.

Add 2.4M for Dangerfield and lets say 2M for Big Red.

Now you are saying but we are cutting Foster, Chickillo, Barron, McDonald, Switzer, and Holton!  That gets the Steelers 23M in cap space!  So where are they going to sign Dupree

You would love the cutting part to happen BEFORE march 18th when they must tender and declare their tags.  They DO NOT want to tag Dupree.  That cost 12M( transition) or 16M(franchise).   So between now and March 18th they need to cut some players and extend others while negotiating with Dupree and (perhaps) Hargreves.  Neither Dupree or Hargreves agents have any incentive to have a deal done before they hit FA unless the Steelers WOW them.

Cutting Chickillo, Barron, Pouncey (if the injury is serious), McDonald gives us around 20M cap space according to OTC 

While they say Dupree is a priority that doesnt mean they get something done. They wont get both Hargraves and Dupree back and idk that i personally find it necessary to bring back Hilton.

Feiler is an EFA so he isnt gonna eat up a tom of cap space. So there is room for an FA, just not a lot.