Offseason Work to do

mwalker

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think any actual rebuilding can be done while paying Ben as much as we are. I agree with everything you said pretty much. AV is mediocre, Foster is too, Pouncey is way overpaid. But we’re not flushing this turd until Ben is ready.

Okay, I do agree with that logic now that I understand where you're coming from

On 2019-11-26 at 11:40 AM, wwhickok said:

It makes me sick to think we passed on Lamar Jackson for Terrell Edmunds.

ok, lets not bring this up EVER again! Not a good pick in edmunds at all in RD1 or RD2 IMO, but Jackson is changing everything and cool be MVP  as a 1st year starter.  This tidbit really burns   

Not much is going to change in 2020.      We will likely resign Dupree, but I am not sold on that.   He has played well this year, for sure.    I have a feelings its partly contract year-itis.    I certainly dont have faith he will live up to a Zadarius Smith style contract.

Aside from the obvious cuts in Barron and Chickillo, they really need to get rid of Pouncey.   Make excuses for him all you want, he is not good.    Im not saying whoever we get will be an upgrade, but based on his play this year, I think we can somewhat easily find a lateral move in terms of quality for half the price.  

Others have suggested Foster and AV, which Im not against moving on from, but Pouncey would be the first player I move on from, simply because of his cap hit.     We need to start dumping the cap.

2021 is the year I could see major changes coming, but realistically, 2022 is probably the year.

Unless Ben has a really good 2020 with no injuries, he SHOULD be gone after next season.   However, they likely wont cut him.    I guess a trade COULD be possible, but very unlikely.    

No matter what, the team needs to get out from under the weight of Ben and Pouncey's contract.    The defense has alot of talent, and we need to retain TJ and Minkah at all costs.   They are the backbone of this defense going forward.

As far as offense goes....thats looking like the area where a complete rebuild is now necessary.     Ben is old.   Connor isnt dependable as a starter.    Juju is good, but doenst deserve top money.     We have nothing at TE.   OLine will be a work in progress.

I certainly dont have all the answers, but my first 3 moves in the offseason would be to dump Barron, Chick and Pouncey, then go from there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I certainly dont have all the answers, but my first 3 moves in the offseason would be to dump Barron, Chick and Pouncey, then go from there.

and from there, if Hargrave is at a reasonable price, perhaps keep him which has a trio for a rotation on the interior of the DL (Tuitt, Heyward and Hargrave). That should be top tier for another 4  years.  If Dupree gets a higher than reasonable priced deal elsewhere, then Skipper/Ola get their chance but maybe trade for Carl Lawson  or perhaps a UFA. I don't know if this draft will offer much at Edge though.

Agree that they spend whatever to keep Watt and Minkah, THATS A MUST.  Ben and Pouncey should be off the books by then, as well as AB's cap etc, there should be room but wait and see.  Watt could get a mega deal and Minkah might be near the highest paid FS but I think Bens cap is 2X just for reference.  Maybe rework Heyward and eventually Tuitt, DDC and others, keep the better players under contract.

I would like them to inactive chickillo for a few games and let Ola and Skipper have a try now.

Here is who we will take in the draft:

2. Albert Okwuegbunam TE Missouri
3. Collin Johnson WR Texas
4a. Jaylen Twyman NT Pitt
4b.Jedrick Wills OT Alabama
5. Hamilcar Rashed Jr. OLB Oregon State
6. Richie Grant S Central Florida
7. Mohamed Barry ILB Nebraska

If Dupree signs to a different team, would either of these 2 be there in RD2 when we pick:

T. Lewis - Alabama

J. Okwara - ND

Burns should be gone, but I expect Sutton to step up and then they need a replacement for Burns on ST which can be found in later rounds or maybe UFA 

16 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Dont want a TE in R 2, 3 or 4. We dont use them anyway.

We dont really have any talent there, and the backup QBs arent really getting the ball to anyone except Jaylen Samuels.

Vance McDonald was used pretty extensively last year in the same offense.

Bottom line, we absolutely need talent at TE.   Im not saying we absolutely have to take one early, but if the talent is there....

I think we will bring Vannett back on a cheap contract, draft someone, and sign TE3.     Vannett and the drafted guy will compete for TE 1 and 2.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We dont really have any talent there, and the backup QBs arent really getting the ball to anyone except Jaylen Samuels.

Bottom line, we absolutely need talent at TE.   Im not saying we absolutely have to take one early, but if the talent is there....

I think we will bring Vannett back on a cheap contract, draft someone, and sign TE3.     Vannett and the drafted guy will compete for TE 1 and 2.    

I think they’ll give Gentry every chance to win a spot. I think you’re right about TE being a need, though. 

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree that we dont have talent there but unless we change our OC I'm still not confident they'll be utilized. 

I'd love us to manage to sign Hunter Henry in FA but that's a pipe dream.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree that we dont have talent there but unless we change our OC I'm still not confident they'll be utilized. 

I'd love us to manage to sign Hunter Henry in FA but that's a pipe dream.

how did the last injury-prone TE from the Chargers work out for us?

• Like 1

Just now, DR43 said:

Even someone of the caliber of Albert Okwuegbunam?

IF A.O is there I'm not against drafting him. I'd just be stunned if he makes it out of the first round. I mean if you have the chance to take him, you almost have to.

My issue isnt that I think TE isnt a need, its that I think OLB, NT, and possibly ILB could all be bigger needs, depending on if they cut Barron.

I also feel they need to address the OL, though I expect them to.

If someone like Herbert were to shockingly fall to our 2nd round pick, I'd take him over a TE.