Offseason Work to do

mwalker

Just now, wwhickok said:

IF A.O is there I'm not against drafting him. I'd just be stunned if he makes it out of the first round. I mean if you have the chance to take him, you almost have to.

My issue isnt that I think TE isnt a need, its that I think OLB, NT, and possibly ILB could all be bigger needs, depending on if they cut Barron.

I also feel they need to address the OL, though I expect them to.

If someone like Herbert were to shockingly fall to our 2nd round pick, I'd take him over a TE.

Why ILB?  We typically run with one ILB more than 1/2 the time.  

Right now I don't know where to begin with the offseason thread.  I see the end of the OL at times, it could use a make over. Then if Johnson keeps being a penalty waiting to happen, I would trade him despite the talent. Pouncey should be traded and then fichner should be fired but ben picked him so he is here no matter what as long as ben is here.  

I know he's the new hotness, but if Duck continues to play well, I'd look into attempting to trade him in the offseason. He's not the long term replacement for Ben. Mason isn't either, but right now we have two backups that are marginally different. I'd try to trade the hot hand and maybe some dumb team will give up some valuable picks for him. 

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

doubt this happens, but it would be funny if Duck did end up being a good starting QB for us for years, considering how we found him.

Kinda reminds me of a poor mans Ryan Fitzpatrick. Dude who doesnt have high end physical traits, but really isnt afraid to throw the football and be aggressive. Fitzmagic (of Pickspatrick) has had a long career being that guy. Wonder if Duck could follow suit. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Kinda reminds me of a poor mans Ryan Fitzpatrick. Dude who doesnt have high end physical traits, but really isnt afraid to throw the football and be aggressive. Fitzmagic (of Pickspatrick) has had a long career being that guy. Wonder if Duck could follow suit. 

want to see what he can do with a full offseason in this system with more reps

he's limited physically, but he's so far exceeding expectations. He might be a one yr thing or like you said another fitzpatrick type QB. I'll be rooting for him

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I dont disagree about trading Duck. 

Also I'd make a point to play Rudolph alot in preseason, hoping he looks good and trade him for the best offer. Bring in a UFA and a draft pick for QB

I agree about trading Mason. He just hasn't been the same after the concussion, might as well let him have a chance somewhere else. Keep Duck though, I mean this season is just getting started and Duck doesn't have his WR1 and RB1 so lets see how this goes once they are back. I expect a game similar to the Chargers game but better with more reps with he first team . 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

want to see what he can do with a full offseason in this system with more reps

he's limited physically, but he's so far exceeding expectations. He might be a one yr thing or like you said another fitzpatrick type QB. I'll be rooting for him

How about getting a solid rushing attack to help  him but also healthy at WR with JJSS and perhaps another WR1 like AJ Green? I doubt it happens but if it does, it could really help Duck.  I still think fichner is holding the offence back but we will see in the next few weeks if that changes and how Duck responds. I expect JW to keep playing at a high level but Johnson might end up on the sidelines if he keeps playing like he did vs the browns. 

The time has come.

For me to admit that most likely, it appears I was wrong about Bud Dupree. After 4 years of deserved frustration, Bud Dupree finally became the player we had hoped he would be all along. It turns out that he was worth the 9.25M and that I find myself hoping we find a way to keep him and Hargrave. While I'm still slightly cautious about whether or not he will drop off after getting paid I've been among the most critical of him. I've enjoyed my crow this season tbh. I'm a man of integrity and with that, have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and this appears to be one of those times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The time has come.

For me to admit that most likely, it appears I was wrong about Bud Dupree. After 4 years of deserved frustration, Bud Dupree finally became the player we had hoped he would be all along. It turns out that he was worth the 9.25M and that I find myself hoping we find a way to keep him and Hargrave. While I'm still slightly cautious about whether or not he will drop off after getting paid I've been among the most critical of him. I've enjoyed my crow this season tbh. I'm a man of integrity and with that, have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and this appears to be one of those times.

You weren't the only one but I always said he didn't forget how to be athletic. Remember the Ricky Bobby reference?  If he wasn't first off the line he was last.  I knew it was one of three things....Motivation, Coaching or Intelligence.  It would appear to me it's motivation.  That should scare you, me and the FO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The time has come.

Hey, most here are eating crow because of this, and lets say it's a new meal served almost weekly in 2019 :$ . I am most happy for Bud, most improved player and he really has the FF going which is serious improvement for me anyways. The spin move also is new and helps, so as long as Bud and JJ  TJ learn and improve together, this front could be formidable for the next 4 years.  What I liked most about Bud in 2019 is that he NEVER threw anyone under the bus and was a total professional. Maybe Tomlin has had the control of the team and Bud took to that, we won't know, but there is a difference that's for sure. I was up there with the most critical, but he has turned into a threat out there, and could continue to get better since he has the freakish athleticism.  

58 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

You weren't the only one but I always said he didn't forget how to be athletic. Remember the Ricky Bobby reference?  If he wasn't first off the line he was last.  I knew it was one of three things....Motivation, Coaching or Intelligence.  It would appear to me it's motivation.  That should scare you, me and the FO. 

He has learned the FF, perhaps that was coaching to a degree.  Slow off the snap was an issue, but this year it's usually good, sometimes really good and still lacking at times, but are you saying the previous 4 years were motivation related  mostly ?  I hope not, especially if they sign him to a 4 year deal, but we will wait and see. Maybe a contract with incentives and bonuses will keep the motivation or perhaps the ring that the champs get ;)  It looks as though the S/FF total for this duo Watt & Dupree will surpass 2008 JH92& LW56 :o

16 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Just as easily as you are sure it was motivation, I could point at coaching. His coordinator was Joey Porter his entire career. Look at the improvement of BOTH Watt and Bud when he left.