Offseason Work to do

mwalker

7 hours ago, kurgan said:

Agree to disagree.  If there is a FA QB that can keep us in games if Ben goes down, it ain't Winston.  Sure, he can throw the deep ball, but as many INT as TD... I'll pass.

I might rather take a chance with Joe Flacco than Jamies.  Or Blake Bortles... Or Josh McCown.  Or Drew Stanton.

Flacco and McCown are both completely cooked, no thanks. And Jameis would 100% be better options than Stanton and Blake freakin Bortles.

I’m not mad we didn’t sign him but Jameis was definitely the best QB on the market for us. I think he would flourish in an offense designed to run the ball, control the clock and use play action. He was asked to sling the ball all over the field in Tampa with 0 running game to speak of. Not exactly the best strategy with a QB who has questionable decision making and really bad literal vision (which is fixed now).

Cam is still out there...and while I know its a probably less than 5% chance we sign him it sure would be exciting and make me feel better about heading into the season. TV and media analysts seem to love the idea.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kurgan said:

Agree to disagree.  If there is a FA QB that can keep us in games if Ben goes down, it ain't Winston.  Sure, he can throw the deep ball, but as many INT as TD... I'll pass.

I might rather take a chance with Joe Flacco than Jamies.  Or Blake Bortles... Or Josh McCown.  Or Drew Stanton.

Really?

if you’re willing to say those names, then yea it’s agree to disagree.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kurgan said:

Im not Winstons biggest fan, but come on....he is easily better than any of those guys, and unlike all of them, still has upside.

I dont think Winston will ever be a great starter, but Id take him over all of those guys without even thinking about it.

I mean...Drew Stanton?  Really???

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Really?

if you’re willing to say those names, then yea it’s agree to disagree.

Yea I would take Mason let alone Jameis over all those names besides MAYBE Flacco.

I may be one of the few who still has faith in Mason. I really think that shot from Earl Thomas and then later the whole Myles Garret fiasco messed up his confidence and decision making. He looked really good in pre-season and showed some flashes in the regular season before those events occurred.

Mason had passer ratings of 92, 81, 124, 100 with a 7:2 TD-INT through the Ravens game

After that was 84, 84, 85, 36 (Browns meltdown), 40, and then 104 (looked pretty good against the Jets until he got hurt). 6:7 TD-INT ratio during this stretch.

So you can see he did pretty well for himself to start the season under some pretty bad circumstances. Let’s not forget this was a 3rd round pick who we all knew was going to need a few seasons to develop getting thrown into the fire in his 2nd season. Then after a strong start he has TWO traumatic events happen. I’m willing to give him another shot to be the long-term backup or bridge QB after Ben, but if he can’t rebound and looks like crap at all this year it’s time to start looking at QBs early in 2021.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I dont buy that.  

I have ZERO doubt that if we are in position to get a franchise caliber QB, we will take one.

Problem is, we very well might not be anytime soon.

• Like 4

upside in being the steelers and potentially having a elite defense for yrs with the young core we have , I think we would be at the top of the list for any good vet QB FA

I bet we would of ended up with Brady or Rivers if ben was off the roster and we were interested in them. hopefully the QB market has a good vet QB available when Ben is done

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont buy that.  

I have ZERO doubt that if we are in position to get a franchise caliber QB, we will take one.

Yea, probably just a vote of confidence for Mason from KC. He needs it.

• Like 1

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah.   There is absolutely no reason to declare otherwise right now.  

100% agree... he has to have the vote of confidence until otherwise.

This is why I was a proponent of trading Duck.  He will be compared to him from now on because of last season.  I hope he gets every chance to succeed long term.

28 minutes ago, kurgan said:

100% agree... he has to have the vote of confidence until otherwise.

This is why I was a proponent of trading Duck.  He will be compared to him from now on because of last season.  I hope he gets every chance to succeed long term.

I don’t think Duck is going to make the team. Lynch is a better #3 than Duck. At least Lynch has attributes that could be developed. Duck has no redeeming qualities of a professional QB. Maybe mentality? Either way, not enough to be an NFL QB.

• Like 4

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/bouchette-steelers-open-to-moving-chukwuma-okorafor-to-guard/

Well... this is interesting.  Never thought of this.  I knew Banner was in the convo, but not Chuks. Last I heard about Chuks, he was being looked at as LT for the future.

Me thinks that this is another clue that Feiler is staying at RT.  Wiz, Chuks, Banner, Gray and even Dotson compete for LG spot.

I don't like that both are FA after the season, but why not...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kurgan said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/bouchette-steelers-open-to-moving-chukwuma-okorafor-to-guard/

Well... this is interesting.  Never thought of this.  I knew Banner was in the convo, but not Chuks. Last I heard about Chuks, he was being looked at as LT for the future.

Me thinks that this is another clue that Feiler is staying at RT.  Wiz, Chuks, Banner, Gray and even Dotson compete for LG spot.

I don't like that both are FA after the season, but why not...

I would take anything Bouchette says with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont buy that.  

Agreed, if Ben retires after this year I think for sure the Steelers will be drafting a QB in round 1 next year - or even sign a vet like Cam Newton or Jameis Winston if they are available - rather then just rolling with Rudolph.

If they draft a rookie, that rookie QB may not start the season, but I’d have to envision at some point that that rookie will take over for Rudolph unless Rudolph really, really improves and has the team with a winning record the way Ben did as a young QB even though the offense was ground and pound until the Bus retired.