Offseason Work to do

mwalker

maybe a year off and an injury rehab has demotivated ben . Thats good, for now because we all know that if covid strikes, that's all she wrote. Maybe the QB's will be allowed to play thru it, I don't know what to expect.

If healthy, I expect Claypool to be the #1 target and be steelers rookie of the year and a major help for the offence. 

This team looks capable on paper to be a top team. I don't like the middle of the run defence, but that's not as important now as it was 15 years ago. Tuitt returning will be serious if he is as dominant as he was - top notch 5 tech . Everywhere else seems like the roster is solid. colbert has taken heat here, but he managed to put a good roster on the field IMO. 

I know that Fitchner didnt have much to work with last year, but he was still so bad.      He isnt a good OC, and relies way too heavily on talent to make him look remotely competent.      Im not saying an OC should be able to have success with garbage like we had last year on offense, but I just feel he is in way over his head as OC.

Oh well.    Just have to pray for the best.    If Ben can even be solid and Conner can stay healthy....this team could be a real threat this year considering the defense doesnt regress.    It would be nice to see how good this defense could be with an offense that occasionally took some pressure off of them and let them breathe a little on the sidelines.. 

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I know that Fitchner didnt have much to work with last year, but he was still so bad.      He isnt a good OC, and relies way too heavily on talent to make him look remotely competent.      Im not saying an OC should be able to have success with garbage like we had last year on offense, but I just feel he is in way over his head as OC.

Oh well.    Just have to pray for the best.    If Ben can even be solid and Conner can stay healthy....this team could be a real threat this year considering the defense doesnt regress.    It would be nice to see how good this defense could be with an offense that occasionally took some pressure off of them and let them breathe a little on the sidelines.. 

saw a stat that had our defense as the best 4th quarter defense in the NFL with 2 of the top 5 4th quarter defensive players(heyward and Watt0

they did this with a offense that was going 3 and out/turning the ball over all the time, so imagine how much better they would of been in the 4th with more rest

I think we would of made it to the AFC title game with a competent QB last yr ☹️

This is more about next off season but I am not very optimistic beyond this season. I have a strong feeling we are going to lose potentially 4 OL (Feiler, Chuks, Banner, AV), Cam Heyward and if he doesn't stay healthy, Cam Heyward.  I also think Mike Hilton moves on. This season might be our last best chance at a SB for quite some time.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

This is more about next off season but I am not very optimistic beyond this season. I have a strong feeling we are going to lose potentially 4 OL (Feiler, Chuks, Banner, AV), Cam Heyward and if he doesn't stay healthy, Cam Heyward.  I also think Mike Hilton moves on. This season might be our last best chance at a SB for quite some time.

I totally agree with your sentiments, but I cannot imagine that we would be out on all 3 OL.  (Chuks has one more year, 2021 is the last one).  I would guess that Feiler is a must sign at this point, since he can play 4 OL slots.  You also have Connor and Juju, and Cam Sutton.  If the cap is actually lowered, we are screwed unless there is some relief via a Ben extension, but that won't even be that much.  He is on the books for like 41 mil.  And Bud and Vance.

FWIW, I think there are some decisions made.  Sutton vs. Hilton, Banner vs. AV, Juju vs. Feiler.  It will take some very creative accounting.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Bud, Vance, VWill are as good as gone next season imo

If I have to predict today with the current salary cap, we will lose: Bud Dupree, Cam Heyward, Vance McDonald, Mike Hilton, AV, Alualu, James Connor and Daniel McCullers (3 DL)

We will keep: Feiler, Banner, Juju, Chris Wormley and Cam Sutton or we will be totally gutted (I don't know how).

Ebron and VWill are cut canidates, for sure.

If the salary cap goes down... 

1 minute ago, kurgan said:

If I have to predict today with the current salary cap, we will lose: Bud Dupree, Cam Heyward, Vance McDonald, Mike Hilton, AV, Alualu, James Connor and Daniel McCullers (3 DL)

We will keep: Feiler, Banner, Juju, Chris Wormley and Cam Sutton or we will be totally gutted (I don't know how).

Ebron and VWill are cut canidates, for sure.

If the salary cap goes down... 

I actually agre with that list, though I dont think we keep Banner either. I think the lack of offseason this year will prove to be a major setback

I probably say this too much about the cap. I’m not worried. We always think we are screwed, we always figure it out. 

They are fully aware of the cap situation next year and a potential cap explosion in the coming years. Sorry, Cam, we can only pay you $10M base next year, but $20m base in 2023. Signing our top guys is the least of my concern. Guys like Ebron, Vance, Vince, Villy, and Haden are the ones in trouble. Not Cam Heyward. 

Edited by Dcash4

The roster will def take a hit next offseason, but we'll still have some really promising young pieces to build around(Watt, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Tuitt, Johnson etc..)

colbert and the next GM will need to have some good drafts this yr and 2021 to fill out our depth tho

the progression of guys like  Bush, claypool, Mcfarland, Buggs, UG3, Hightower, Johnson, JW etc will be crucial

Edited by August4th