Week 12 GDT: Packers at 49ers (Adams or Bust Edition)

AlexGreen#20

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Just FYI, this is inaccurate to a degree. Arik Armstead was like the 17th pick in the draft. Deforest Buckner was the 7th pick in a draft that was absolutely stacked at the top. There are only 2 top 5 (actually top 3) picks on that defense, and that is Bosa and Thomas, and the latter has been a complete and total bust. Fred Warner was a third round pick. Dre Greenlaw was a fifth round pick. DJ Jones was a late 6th round pick. Ronald Blair (hurt now) was a 5th round pick, and Ford was acquired through a trade. On the back end, Moseley was an undrafted free agent and Spoon was a third round pick.  Ward was a late first round pick six years ago. Tartt was a second round pick, and Sherm was a free agent acquisition. 

And it's not like the 49ers intentionally tanked to get Bosa. Jimmy G tore an ACL in game 3 and we were riding it out with CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens last year. 

The 49ers have had 2 top 5 picks in the last 15 years, but they just happened to occur in the last 4 years (with one of them being a bust). He's definitely not a genius. He and Shanny have whiffed hard on some picks, but managed to break through by getting steals later on. Thomas / Foster / Pettis are all pretty big busts. CJ beathard was Shanny's handpicked QB, bust. Joe Williams the same thing at running back. They've offset this with Nick Mullens (UDFA), Matt Breida (UDFA), getting Kittle in the 5th round, etc. He's also whiffed on some big money FA signings. 

I'd still give Shanny more credit than Lynch, for sure. 

Thanks for that info. I'm too lazy to research those facts. To me it seemed like the 49ers have been drafting top 10 talent for the last 5 years.

Edited by St Vince

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Thanks for that info. I'm too lazy to research those facts. All I know is that it seemed like the 49ers have been drafting top 10 talent for the last 5 years.

Like any draft, it's a lot of luck, you know? I never have, and never will consider lynch to be a genius. He's not. At least not about that. I mean, if Kittle isn't a stud, his first draft is Solomon Thomas, Rueben Foster, CJ Beathard and Joe Williams. Like holy god that is bad LOL. He's also given huge deals to Malcolm Smith, Jerick McKinnon (will never play a down for us), gave 4 million guaranteed to John Cooper to not make the team lol. But we have hit on a lot of middle round talent with guys like Warner, Kittle etc. Most importantly...the coaching staff is so much better than it was before he got there. Like, guys are actually progressing now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Like any draft, it's a lot of luck, you know? I never have, and never will consider lynch to be a genius. He's not. At least not about that. I mean, if Kittle isn't a stud, his first draft is Solomon Thomas, Rueben Foster, CJ Beathard and Joe Williams. Like holy god that is bad LOL. He's also given huge deals to Malcolm Smith, Jerick McKinnon (will never play a down for us), gave 4 million guaranteed to John Cooper to not make the team lol. But we have hit on a lot of middle round talent with guys like Warner, Kittle etc. Most importantly...the coaching staff is so much better than it was before he got there. Like, guys are actually progressing now. 

Hey bro congrats on a great roster, no need to apologize. I was being a little facetious and a little jealous having flash backs of those Kaepernick butt whippings. Your teams the far superior team right now. If that game was played 10 times we'd probably win 3. Not mad that we loss, it was how we loss. That was an embarrassing performance after having two weeks to prepare. I hope we don't see you in the playoffs. Can't believe I'm saying this but I hope the Vikings get the 6 seed and upset you so we won't have to see you again. Good luck! Looks like you control your own destiny, 

Zach Kruse - One big reason why Aaron Jones hasn't gotten the ball as much in the passing game: Teams aren't covering him out wide with linebackers anymore. Those days are probably over. Teams are covering him with corners.

• Ben Fennell -  ...was it CB in man coverage? That’s rare.

Zach Kruse -  Whenever he split out wide on Sunday night, the 49ers matched him with a CB.

• Ben Fennell - That’s normal if they’re in zone... Interested if they put a CB on him in man coverage

Zach Kruse -  Yeah, I'd like to go back and look. He split out wide at least 5 different times

Zach Kruse -  I don't think they were covering him out of the backfield with a corner, if that's what you mean. 49ers just didn't have a LB following him wide when he motioned out

• Ben Fennell - Talking when the RB motions out. If no one follows him - it’s almost always zone. Hence why you’ll see a CB over him If someone (usually a LB) follows, its man coverage...

Zach Kruse - Look at that 3rd-and-8 before the two-minute warning. That looks like man-to-man, right? They put a LB on G-Mo and had the outside CB take Jones.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse - One big reason why Aaron Jones hasn't gotten the ball as much in the passing game: Teams aren't covering him out wide with linebackers anymore. Those days are probably over. Teams are covering him with corners.

Zach Kruse -  Whenever he split out wide on Sunday night, the 49ers matched him with a CB.

If true, who's covering the receiver(s)?  Exactly.  Rodgers needs to be seeing this.  He isn't.  Almost like the game is too fast for him now.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

If true, who's covering the receiver(s)?  Exactly.  Rodgers needs to be seeing this.  He isn't.  Almost like the game is too fast for him now.

I added to/edited the comment.

You might want to check out Nagler. He has  a depressing clip of the play where AR fumbled. Apparently (meaning, I didnt see it during the game) Davante realized SF was bringing a CB blitz - he waved at AR to get his attention and ran a hot read pattern - to no avail. AR didnt see Davante's signal and never hit him with the quick pass before getting sacked/fumbling.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Striker said:

All 22 of the TD. Looks like Alexander blew it.

I haven't seen the all 22, but from the views on the TV it doesn't look like a 3 deep shell to me.

That being said, it was a very similar play to the KC touchdown to Kelce, where there were a lot of moving parts.   It was a well designed play designed to confuse the young defensive backs.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

47 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I haven't seen the all 22, but from the views on the TV it doesn't look like a 3 deep shell to me.

That being said, it was a very similar play to the KC touchdown to Kelce, where there were a lot of moving parts.   It was a well designed play designed to confuse the young defensive backs.

It was on Alexander. Alexander got excited at the faked screen action going on in front of him and never saw Kittle coming across field.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Looking at the all 22 I can see the deep 3 shell.

Plenty issues on the play as the 49ers had plenty of poorly covered targets.

Ben Fennell -   Aaron Rodgers Downfield Passing

0/5 vs SF
0/5 vs LAC

Easily the two worst offensive games of the season for the Packers offense.
Haven't seen calculated route combinations off play action lately.
Too many low percentage perimeter 1-on-1's/double moves squeezed to the sideline.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, Joe said:

I wouldn’t promote from within. I’d go get Gus Bradley or Ron Rivera when they’re fired after the season. We need an aggressive defense,  it the finesse defense we currently run.

Also, we need a reliable RT and if it means burning a 1st on one, it means burning a 1st on one...

Mike Smith isn't exactly a Pettine guy, he was a high profile guy that had been considered as a DC candidate. I think that he would run the defense similar to what KC ran in 2018.

7 hours ago, Leader said:

• Ben Fennell - That’s normal if they’re in zone... Interested if they put a CB on him in man coverage

Zach Kruse -  Yeah, I'd like to go back and look. He split out wide at least 5 different times

Zach Kruse -  I don't think they were covering him out of the backfield with a corner, if that's what you mean. 49ers just didn't have a LB following him wide when he motioned out

• Ben Fennell - Talking when the RB motions out. If no one follows him - it’s almost always zone. Hence why you’ll see a CB over him If someone (usually a LB) follows, its man coverage...

Zach Kruse - Look at that 3rd-and-8 before the two-minute warning. That looks like man-to-man, right? They put a LB on G-Mo and had the outside CB take Jones.

Kruse shouldn't be discussing Xs and Os