Rams' S Eric Weddle won't give his new team the inside scoop on his former team, The Ravens

Dome

The Los Angeles Rams' safety faces off against the Baltimore Ravens Monday night in a pivotal tilt for both squads. Yet, after spending three seasons with John Harbaugh's team, Weddle won't be spilling any state secrets to Sean McVay about how the Ravens defense operates.

"I could tell them a lot of stuff, but that's just not who I am," said Weddle said, via ESPN's Lindsey Thiry. "So we're going to play it on the field, and the best team is going to win."

"It's totally at each person's individual approach," McVay said when asked if it's considered unfair to share info about a former team.

"I have a lot of respect for that place, not only how it helped my career and rejuvenated my career, how they treated myself and my family," Weddle said. "But it's a very tight-knit group, and what would I be -- what kind of man would I be if I just turned my back on all of them?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001079083/article/rams-eric-weddle-wont-share-inside-info-on-ravens

I just thought this was interesting. Not sure I believe Weddle's motives here, I think it's more likely he just doesn't have much of an inside scoop to begin with. 

If he does have an inside scoop that could help his team and he won't give it up, it's my personal belief that he's a bad teammate and employee. But again, I don't think he has the secret recipe. I think the whole idea of former players being able to foil their former team's game plan is overblown. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

Now the coaches will be forced to watch tape to see how the defense operates, instead of spending time with their families and watching their little kids bond with the new puppies and kittens they just got.  In short, Eric Weddle hates puppies and kittens.

My thoughts exactly....

I think Weddle is playing everyone because why would he come out and say yes he is telling the Rams about the Ravens publicly so they will know and adjust accordingly? So by him publicly saying he isnt going to tell the Rams about the Ravens then the Ravens will have less incentive to change things. Its the equivalent of a team saying there is a chance a star injured player will play so the opposing team can still game plan for that player even though that team knows that player isnt going to play. Weddle is fooling everyone. He is smart and has been around the block quite a few times. No way he is keeping quiet. If by some chance he is, then I can respect it. 

• Like 1

Weddle's a good dude who seemed to genuinely love playing for us so I appreciate the respect he's showing us publicly, even if is all just a ruse. But even if he IS sharing what he knows about us, who cares? Players switch teams every year and I'm sure coaches adjust accordingly. Hell, the Ravens made a player swap with the Rams this season so if anyone is going to have more up-to-date intel, it's going to be Kenny Young dishing on us and Marcus Peters dishing on them. 

Our offense is worlds different than it was last year, including having a new OC. He likely has some insights to share about player tendencies on our defense but even on that front, virtually half of our defense are new starters compared to 2 months ago, let alone last season. 

• Like 7