The Last Ride of Mitch Trubisky Offseason

WindyCity

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here is my off the cuff 2020 QB plan.  Thinking most won't like it.  

I bring in Nick Mullens and Kyle Lauletta and let them compete with MT for starting 2020 gig.  Actually, scratch that.  I cut MT.   He is going to need offseason shoulder surgery.  He will be worthless until late summer.  Not worth the effort or reps to bring him back and get him up to snuff.   

I let Mullens and Lauletta battle for top spot.  If no one shows starting or franchise potential I draft a QB in 2021.  You may get lucky and catch lightening in a bottle with one of them and found your guy.  If not you haven't lost any ground.   

I know that is not exciting.  But both players have shown flashes of being good in this league and they cost you virtually nothing.  

To me there is no point in bringing in a medicore or broken veteran to come in and play mediocre for 5 games and get hurt which is what always seems to happen.  And there is no point in drafting a 2nd round QB.  Your chances of hitting are so slim.   The amount of draft capital you would need to trade into high 1st round in 2020 would ruin Bears for an age.  

Only other alternative is swallow your pride trade your best asset (Mack) in offseason and draft a QB.  Maybe he has a no trade clause.  I don't know.

Mullens is not a free agent and Lauletta is a practice squad QB.

I agree with many of the points addressed by the OP especially with the philosophy of taking a concerted effort to rebuilding the offensive line. I also agree with that we shouldn't waste our 2nd round pick on QB unless there is true conviction on the talent of the QB. Taking a flier on a late round QB is a good idea because regardless if its a hit, we need a backup QB.

One position this team might want to look into is FB. With the right scouting getting a good FB is entirely possible in the last couple of rounds or even as a UDFA. This could improve our offense in the short yardage situations and help blocking in the run and pass game.

• Like 1

See to me Keenan, Dalton, Newton, Alex Smith none of these guys is going to do anything of note on any team going forward.

Keenan and Dalton just aren't very good.  Newton and Smith are broken and aren't going to last a year and even if they could they are shadows of their best.  And Smith was always kind of just okay anyway. 

Newton was amazing for a year or two and hasn't been anything close since.  He is actually less accurate than MT.  Fans would love him and then instantly hate him.  

Don't even get me started on Kaepernick who was really bad and benched when he left and hasn't played in many years now.

Bringing in one of these veterans is going to be a lot like Denver and Washington hype with same results.  Cousins is better than any of them.  Cousins.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If he wasn't hurt every third play I'd be all over him

@WindyCity @topwop1

Darren Fells is an UFA TE  too.  6'7 270 and leading the Texans TEs.  He is older at 33, but he is a monster late bloomer.  

Texans are really short on draft picks.  You could probably get one of their young ones for a mid rounder if they want to keep Fells.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

See to me Keenan, Dalton, Newton, Alex Smith none of these guys is going to do anything of note on any team going forward.

Keenan and Dalton just aren't very good.  Newton and Smith are broken and aren't going to last a year and even if they could they are shadows of their best.  And Smith was always kind of just okay anyway. 

Newton was amazing for a year or two and hasn't been anything close since.  He is actually less accurate than MT.  Fans would love him and then instantly hate him.  

Don't even get me started on Kaepernick who was really bad and benched when he left and hasn't played in many years now.

Bringing in one of these veterans is going to be a lot like Denver and Washington hype with same results.  Cousins is better than any of them.  Cousins.  

I don't think 60% passing, 16 TD's, 4 INT's and a 7 ypa is "really bad,"but now I'm arguing semantics because yeah, I wouldn't want Kaepernick. He's just not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

To me there is no point in bringing in a medicore or broken veteran to come in and play mediocre for 5 games and get hurt which is what always seems to happen.  And there is no point in drafting a 2nd round QB.  Your chances of hitting are so slim.   The amount of draft capital you would need to trade into high 1st round in 2020 would ruin Bears for an age.  

Only other alternative is swallow your pride trade your best asset (Mack) in offseason and draft a QB.  Maybe he has a no trade clause.  I don't know

I think this is the cold hard truth of our situation.

We aren't fixing QB with a pick outside the first round, or almost assuredly outside even top 10 (and even that that might not be enough depending on the how the QB class shakes out), and we have almost no ammunition to get into the top 10 right now.  Trading Mack has to be a legitimate consideration, and frankly trading Mitch should be a very strong consideration as well.

Of the potential available QBs, Nick Foles and Alex Smith (if he can even pass medicals) are the only two that move the needle for me (and I don't think Foles will actually be available, nor do I think Smith is coming back from that injury)..... Kaepernick and Newton are non upgrades over Mitch.

All aboard bringing Lauletta in, and I'd have already done that, considering Chase and Bray are both known quantities, and not worth keeping. We could use at least some of the remaining games to see what Lauletta has.

Beyond that, we need to sell on players we can get value for. Cohen probably has some value worth exploring... Allen Robinson is another even if he'd be a major loss. We already screwed up by letting Kerrith Whyte get poached when he could have been pushed to active roster and a bum like Shaheen been cut. We need picks desperately to recoup the draft capital we're going to need to get a QB/OL/TE this offseason.

The larger concern I have, is the hypothetical.... Even if we could acquire the resources to trade all the way up into the top 5 for some QB of choice.... Would Pace/Nagy even have the kind of latitude to make such a potentially major franchise decision anymore? I'd argue both of them are a season away from being fired, and I really doubt they'd get the "go ahead" from the McCaskys to risk the next 3-5 years of the franchise after blowing it so badly with our current team/Trubisky.  Basically, even if they see the perfect pitch (and that's a hypothetical in itself), I don't think this organization is going to have the balls to swing for it to try for the home run vs just trying to get on base. The problem with that, is this league is a home run derby, and 2nd place is just the first loser.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

@WindyCity @topwop1

Darren Fells is an UFA TE  too.  6'7 270 and leading the Texans TEs.  He is older at 33, but he is a monster late bloomer.  

Texans are really short on draft picks.  You could probably get one of their young ones for a mid rounder if they want to keep Fells.  

I would be very happy with him. A TE with a pulse is an upgrade, so one who catches TDs is a huge upgrade.

Non-1st Round Starters

Kirk Cousins

Tom Brady

Dak Prescott

Drew Brees

Jacoby Brissett

Nick Foles/Gardner Minshew

Russell Wilson

Jimmy G

Derek Carr

Non Top 10

Lamar Jackson

Big Ben

Aaron

Flacco

Deshaun

Haskins

You do not need to be in the top 10 to get a good QB.

Top 3 MVP candidates this season, 12, 32 and 75.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You do not need to be in the top 10 to get a good QB.

Top 3 MVP candidates this season, 12, 32 and 75.

You don't need to be in top-10 but usually good QB's are found within the first 4 rounds of the draft.  There are exceptions of course but normally they don't last longer than that.

That's why I am not sure about Nate Stanley in the 5th.  Give me a guy like Jake Fromm over him.