GDT Week 12: Broncos@Bills

jolly red giant

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

So, what do you do if at our pick the CB from Ohio State is on the board along with Wirfs? 

As much as I love a playmaking CB - I think Wirfs is a monster.   They're graded as both A- players to me (A- is a strong mark, btw), 82-83 type grades.   I'll go trenches in that scenario.  Right now, there are 2 90+ grade players - Chase Young and Andrew Thomas.   The rest are in the low-mid 80's.  It's hard to separate them at this stage.  

FWIW, a lot depends on where we pick.  At the 3-4 spot (Have to stay 3-13) we have a really good chance at Thomas.  At 4-12 we most likely pick 6-9 range.  At 5-11 we get to double digits.   Depending on where we are I normally don’t like trading back but I think it a team wants to move up from low teens to where we are (if they want Herbert for example), then the T class is deep enough it’s worth considering.    If we are in the 6-9 range, the difference between the 2nd/3rd T is so small, and they're in the 8-15 overall range, that I'd feel comfortable trading back, and accumulating more value.   After Thomas, the T class is very nice, but fewer standouts between the top non-Thomas tier (Wirfs is the most solid, Big-10 proven guy, but much like Ramczyk, ppl think he'd be an amazing RT, but just OK LT.   That's fine with me, but also someone I think we'd be able to get in the low teens too, and get more value by moving back - provided someone wants to move up, that's always the tricky part).

The guy I need to see more of against elite D's is USC's  Austin Jackson.    I wish he wasn't in the PAC-12 - so much harder to evaluate guys there.   It's pretty evident he's got the footwork and tools, and his play this year has been amazing.    He’s already getting a firm Rd1 projection and now we are seeing top 10-15 mocks.   It's just that he’s not faced much elite level competition, which raises concerns (but he was clearly progressing last year, which is good, success at early age is always something I feel better about than 1-year pop-up guys - it's also why Andrew Thomas is a true A+ level prospect IMO.  I'd give a kidney if we could get him).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t see how they go into the spring FA/draft period with the FO identical to what it is today. Some kind of a change needs to be made. 

Today on GMFB they were talking about how Jerry Jones, who owns a team that is in first place, is having to answer questions and explain things to luxury suite owners and corporate sponsors and that that alone may force his hand with Garrett sans a deep playoff run. Now, Dallas and us are different but I’m sure Ellis is having to answer similar questions (hopefully with the fire rightly trained at least partially in his direction) and thus even change for change’s sake is going to have to occur. 

Sandy Clough suggested Elway steps down as GM, remains as Football Ops President with final say, and the team brings in Adam Peters from SF as GM. Everyone here knows, trusts and respects Peters and he has experience building a team structured the way we want ours (Shanahan approach/influence). Elway would save face but the team would gain a serious voice in the room. 

Whether that exact scenarios comes to pass or not, I think something has to be done if for nothing other than PR sake. And let’s be honest, with Ellis in charge, PR has always taken precedence here. 

The guy most likely to take the fall IMO on merit besides Elway is Matt Russell.  He stood by while the 2013-17 Day 1-2 draft disasters were happening as Director of Scouting.    I just don't think it's going to be Elway until 2021, and that's only if we have a repeat year where we show no progress.  As you pointed out, Ellis runs this train, and he's behind Elway 100 percent, unless this latest set of decisions is a disaster..   

IMO there's zero chance the coaching staff is being given only 1 year with this talent gap we're experiencing.  Vance Joseph did a far worse job and Ellis stayed the course.   We’d do ourselves a disservice if prospective coaches worried they’d only get 1 year to turn us around.  We are definitely not a favored destination anymore.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Apparently Lock is getting 75% of the reps

It would be the dumbest move alive to go back to Allen now after giving that much work to Lock this week.  It’s not like Allen doesn’t need the scrimmage snaps if he’s starting.   

Edited by Broncofan

On 11/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, Broncofan said:

The guy most likely to take the fall IMO on merit besides Elway is Matt Russell.  He stood by while the 2013-17 Day 1-2 draft disasters were happening as Director of Scouting.    I just don't think it's going to be Elway until 2021, and that's only if we have a repeat year where we show no progress.  As you pointed out, Ellis runs this train, and he's behind Elway 100 percent, unless this latest set of decisions is a disaster..   

IMO there's zero chance the coaching staff is being given only 1 year with this talent gap we're experiencing.  Vance Joseph did a far worse job and Ellis stayed the course.   We’d do ourselves a disservice if prospective coaches worried they’d only get 1 year to turn us around.  We are definitely not a favored destination anymore.  

On merit, Russell deserves to go. He came over from New England as a lackey and yes-man for Mac. Elway should never have retained him in 2011 but on this I also think Ellis has a hand in his retention as he didn’t want someone with local connections (Russell being from CU) to go spill the beans to someone in the media. It’s why I don’t think he will be fired, he’s been around too long and thus (proverbially) knows where the bodies are buried.