GDT Week 12: Broncos@Bills

jolly red giant

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Maybe Lock should at least be promoted to backup QB, holding a clipboard first.

I see no point in doing this. The kid has to play at some point. If we wait until literally every piece is in place before trotting him out there, we'll be waiting forever. They've already burned one of his 4 years and have gotten no indication of his skillset. Without the 5th year option, if he does pan out, this ends up being a bigger issue for us. 

• Like 1

I’m trying to see why, after minimal action in three preseason games, so many fans are already writing off Lock. 

We knew Lock was drafted we knew he was going to require some seasoning and some patience. He has all the physical tools you could ask for but also has received exceptionally high marks for Intangibles like work ethic, energy, enthusiasm, commitment, willingness to accept coaching, etc. He’s also a fit for this offense with the arm strength and athleticism Scangarello called “non-negotiable” traits of his QB. 

Is this just part of the instant gratification society in which we live? If the guy doesn’t look like Peyton Manning in the first preseason game of his rookie year we write him off? Or is it because some hot-take artist on the radio says so? 

How about we see Lock play for five games, or better said, see him play five games this year and 16 next year hopefully with better talent and a more experienced play-caller before making a definitive judgment? 

Anyone who thinks we’re going to completely blow up the scheme and go all Lamar Jackson type college offense can forget it. They’re sticking with the Shanahan-inspired offense like it or not, through the end of next year at the very least. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I see no point in doing this. The kid has to play at some point. If we wait until literally every piece is in place before trotting him out there, we'll be waiting forever. They've already burned one of his 4 years and have gotten no indication of his skillset. Without the 5th year option, if he does pan out, this ends up being a bigger issue for us. 

I didn't really get across the point I was trying to make, that being, if he's not good enough to be the backup on a team woefully in need of a QB, why the hell should we think he should start?

He can't beat out Rypien as the backup and everybody wants him to start? I don't get it.

He's obviously not ready to make the next step, so let him continue to sit and learn. Maybe he'll be one of those guys that makes a great sophomore leap next year.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

If these are the discussions being had, I think we can officially say it's over for Garett. You can't say he wasn't given plenty of leash and a great opportunity to improve under Munchak. Thinking man's position and you pick this guy...

For me this move by Fangio is an indication that Lock might get a start.

Not quite sure what the benefits are of Lock standing on the sideline with a clip board. He’s essentially been doing this the past three weeks in street clothes. He needs to play and we need to see what he has to offer. The Bengals are actually making a wise decision in seeing what Finley had to offer.

52 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Not quite sure what the benefits are of Lock standing on the sideline with a clip board. He’s essentially been doing this the past three weeks in street clothes. He needs to play and we need to see what he has to offer. The Bengals are actually making a wise decision in seeing what Finley had to offer.

Dont ever say the Bengals make wise decisions every again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I didn't really get across the point I was trying to make, that being, if he's not good enough to be the backup on a team woefully in need of a QB, why the hell should we think he should start?

He can't beat out Rypien as the backup and everybody wants him to start? I don't get it.

He's obviously not ready to make the next step, so let him continue to sit and learn. Maybe he'll be one of those guys that makes a great sophomore leap next year.

Rypien has never beaten him out. Lock was the #2 QB on the depth chart prior to the injury. Rypien has simply been healthy so was available to help with scout team while Lock wasted away on IR. There's no need for Lock to "beat him out", this is all a waste of everyone's time. 

I think the issue with Lock is that he spent half the season on IR, which means he hasn’t been allowed to practice. He’s basically EXACTLY where he was during the pre-season + a couple weeks. Keep in mind, he was considered a raw talent when we drafted him, and he’s likely still just as raw today. That said, the hell with it. Dumb the offense down a bit and let him rip it. At this point, no one is expecting him to turn the season around or anything. If anything, this is as low pressure of a situation for him as you could ask for. I wanna see him throwing bombs to Sutton. A few of those 60 yarders, and it might just *gasp* start keeping defenses honest. 

4 hours ago, 1234567 said:

That said, the hell with it. Dumb the offense down a bit and let him rip it. At this point, no one is expecting him to turn the season around or anything. If anything, this is as low pressure of a situation for him as you could ask for. I wanna see him throwing bombs to Sutton. A few of those 60 yarders, and it might just *gasp* start keeping defenses honest. 

Exactly. Just let the kid play and stop overthinking it. We just threw for 80 yards in an NFL game - seriously, how can it possibly go downhill?

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone who thinks we’re going to completely blow up the scheme and go all Lamar Jackson type college offense can forget it. They’re sticking with the Shanahan-inspired offense like it or not, through the end of next year at the very least. 

I think that is the most frustrating thing - as you eluded to, he's a good fit for this Offense so we don't need to blow up the scheme. On early downs, its an Offense that tends to have predetermined reads in a levels concept (i.e you start at one level, then work your reads to a different level); that is the best you can hope for an inexperienced QB.

I honestly agree with the conspiracy theory that Elway is simply scared Lock is going to go out there and be awful, meaning there is going to be pressure to take a QB early next year. 

Drew Lock was sort of a perfect pick in that sense for Elway. As a 2nd round pick, you never have to frame it as "the guy" in a way that boxes you in. For people like me who don't like the player, we can justify it because of the value. It made a lot of sense, and it's also scared money. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You always get to say you planted the flag on Lamar in this Forums.    No one can take that away from you.

Our next GM might put together that mobile QB = good with OL = bad but idk we'll see. traditional football and all that