Redskins just aren't losing fans, they're losing young fans

turtle28

Rick Maese of the Washington Post with Doc and Galdi: Sustained Winning is the Only Way the Redskins Can Return to Being D.C.’s Favorite Sports Team

https://theteam980.com/129906/rick-maese-of-the-washington-post-with-doc-and-galdi-sustained-winning-is-the-only-way-the-redskins-can-return-to-being-d-c-s-favorite-sports-team/‬

Edited by turtle28

There is absolutely some recency bias here, but lets look at two things that happen here that have made it harder to attract younger fans.  

1.) The cost of attending a game, and getting there.  Sure, the tickets are now going for $4 to tomorrow's game, but on average, the Redskins are a pretty expensive ticket over the years (say 2005) with the exception of a few years.  Most of your games are Sunday afternoon, and to get there with public transportation is a bit of a challenge to say the least (especially before the days of Uber) and to park there is another expense.  Oh, and there are only 8 games. 

Meanwhile, public transportation drops you off right around the corner from the Nationals or Capitals.  There are 41 opportunities over six months to see the Capitals play at home, and 81 games that the Nationals play at home.  Not to mention, because of the volume of games, means that you are more likely to find a ticket deal (i.e. $5 seats for the Nationals.......as an aside, I bet that program is done this year.) .  Those games are also on weeknights, as well as weekends, and you can go with a group of friends after work and it's not prohibitively expensive.

So there are more opportunities to see the Capitals and Nationals, and it is much easier to get there and get home.  

2.) Winning cures all.  The Nationals came in and essentially did an earlier version of tanking, but since 2012 they've been all-in to put a winning product on the field and have division titles and now a World Series title to speak to that.  Since the Capitals drafted Alex Ovechkin following the lockout in 2005, they've been competing in the NHL for just about every year since, and have a Stanley Cup victory as well.  There is also a demand for tickets- if you don't have season tickets to the Capitals, you are essentially looking on the secondary market for them, and the Nationals have a strong crowd just about every game.  

Meanwhile, we have tickets for the Redskins going for $4 and $6 because we are so terrible, and club seats are being sold for under $20.  So why support a team that isn't winning, and doesn't have a clear direction on where they are going? 

• Like 2

Imagine this proud franchise being lesser favored amongst the demographic than the WNBA team. Not to say the Mystics aren't great, but the fact is sports have always been kind of a heavily male dominated demographic so that is rather surprising. I'm far less surprised by the Union because soccer has growing popularity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Imagine this proud franchise being lesser favored amongst the demographic than the WNBA team. Not to say the Mystics aren't great, but the fact is sports have always been kind of a heavily male dominated demographic so that is rather surprising. I'm far less surprised by the Union because soccer has growing popularity.

United*. The Union play in Philadelphia.

I think the thing that needs to be noted is that the world in general is more accessible than it was 20 years ago when I grew up. The local teams were the only ones you could watch the games for or really find coverage of, so even if I'd have wanted to switch it would have been a pain. Now with twitter, redzone, everything else, it's simple to track any team anywhere. Young people don't need to be beholden to a crappy team just because they were good 30 years ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

The Nationals...lol

Baseball....lol

They could become the Yankees historically in Championships & I would rather watch Bruce Allen make important football decisions.

Obviously, you don't like baseball. The sad thing is that most young fans are falling in love with them and the Caps bc they are winning.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Obviously, you don't like baseball. The sad thing is that most young fans are talking in love with them and the Caps bc they are winning.

I don't hate the game baseball.

But 162 games a season & working a full time job, makes it tough to be a true fan.

Living in Missouri, I'll follow the Cardinals if & when their in the NLCS & WS.

But I would probably dislike football too, if we had to travel to Dallas to face Dak & Zeke for game 4 of a possible 7 game series.

It's just too much...

Shorten the amount of games Baseball plays...?

Then I could get into it.

Makes it more meaningful...

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They only polled DC residents. This poll should’ve included NoVa and MD. Probably 70% of DC is transplants at this point. 

Because it asked questions pertaining to only DC. If it had included those fans I don't think it changes much tbh. Last time they did this poll before the caps and nats won their championships, the Redskins polled much higher.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Obviously, you don't like baseball. The sad thing is that most young fans are falling in love with them and the Caps bc they are winning.

As someone who has been with the Nats since baseball returned as I grew up a cubs fan to actually watch a team in this area go from being  the worse team year in and year out and build this team from the Strausburg and Harper years back too back too the trades and FA signings of Max and Corbin and the small signings of Kendrick’s and others this year it was nice to see a team take that journey along with growing up a Caps fans and all those years almost too the same drum after the Ovi pick. I have been a Redskins fan and would never quit on this team but too say that watching those two teams win hasn’t been the highlight of sports in my life would be crazy. In my lifetime I have Sean Taylor and Gibbs 2.0 and I have RG3!!! Never sustained. I was 2 for the last SB!!!!!!! I can understand this team losing its market share!!!! When you publicly trash a man who had a history of alcoholism as a basis to not pay him and you dog the best player you’ve had for 10 years who grinned his tail off through so many bad years you deserve pergatory as a sports team!!!! Maybe if they stopped trying to sell us history and preformed and ran this team the way we made history people would care again!!!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

As someone who has been with the Nats since baseball returned as I grew up a cubs fan to actually watch a team in this area go from being  the worse team year in and year out and build this team from the Strausburg and Harper years back too back too the trades and FA signings of Max and Corbin and the small signings of Kendrick’s and others this year it was nice to see a team take that journey along with growing up a Caps fans and all those years almost too the same drum after the Ovi pick. I have been a Redskins fan and would never quit on this team but too say that watching those two teams win hasn’t been the highlight of sports in my life would be crazy. In my lifetime I have Sean Taylor and Gibbs 2.0 and I have RG3!!! Never sustained. I was 2 for the last SB!!!!!!! I can understand this team losing its market share!!!! When you publicly trash a man who had a history of alcoholism as a basis to not pay him and you dog the best player you’ve had for 10 years who grinned his tail off through so many bad years you deserve pergatory as a sports team!!!! Maybe if they stopped trying to sell us history and preformed and ran this team the way we made history people would care again!!!!!! 

Which player are you talking about that they dogged? Cousins? RG3? JW. I think they dogged Cousins more personally, RG3 was treated like Royalty by Dan & Brice - even though his play after 2012 didn’t deserve it - Cousins was treated like a 2nd class citizen except for his franchise tags.

Edited by turtle28

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Which player are you talking about that they dogged? Cousins? RG3? JW. I think they dogged Cousins more personally, RG3 was treated like Royalty by Dan & Brice - even though his play after 2012 didn’t deserve it - Cousins was treated like a 2nd class citizen except for his franchise tags.

Trent

14 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I don't hate the game baseball.

But 162 games a season & working a full time job, makes it tough to be a true fan.

Living in Missouri, I'll follow the Cardinals if & when their in the NLCS & WS.

But I would probably dislike football too, if we had to travel to Dallas to face Dak & Zeke for game 4 of a possible 7 game series.

It's just too much...

Shorten the amount of games Baseball plays...?

Then I could get into it.

Makes it more meaningful...

Hopefully you enjoyed this years NLCS.

• Like 2