Any WRs as great as Julio that also struggled getting into the endzone?

Malik

After starting the season with 4 touchdowns in 3 games Julio hasn't reached the endzone since. His career high is 10 in a season with his next best being 8 a couple times. Sure there are a bunch of valid reasons here and there like some seasons he's had a paltry amount of redzone targets. I'm struggling to think of any WR in the modern NFL that is or was as talented as Julio, but never got into the endzone. Maybe Andre Johnson, but he also never played with a QB 1/10th as good as Matt Ryan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Andre Johnson comes to mind. Tory Holt, for as good as he was, also wasn’t a big TD guy.

Coming here to say AJ. He's basically the exact same player - huge, physical WR who was faster than just about everyone on the field, but didn't get the ball in the end zone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elky said:

Those are more indictments against Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub.

Goes further than that - both guys play in variants of Mike Shanahan's WCO. Both ceded looks in the RZ to either TEs or RBs on screens and flats.

• Like 2

Steve Smith didn't score a lot.  Not the physical specimen that Jones is though.   Jimmy Smith with the Jags is kind of in the same boat.   James Lofton didn't score often compared to his overall production.  Art Monk.  Keyshawn Johnson had a pretty infamous year where he found the endzone once on 180 targets and 106 catches in 2001 with Tampa.  I'd like to see a rec td to targets and rec ratio for some Hall of Famers/Fringe to HOF bound guys to see where he is actually stacking up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Michael Thomas hasn't had a double digit TD season yet. He's probably on target for one this season, but for the numbers he puts up everywhere else, I'd assume that he would have by now.

Is he deserving on this list?

I think that's more to do with the way Brees and the Saints run their offense now.  They've passed less since 2017, and run more in red zone situations.  Kamara and Ingram are also good redzone options apart form Thomas.

He had his lowest number of receptions in 2016 before the Saints changed their offense, and wound up with what is still a career high 9 TDs.

Edited by Jlowe22

9 hours ago, Elky said:

Those are more indictments against Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub.

Matt Schaub had pretty much 1, or arguably 2, great seasons. Roddy White didn't have a problem scoring with Matt Ryan and he was less physically dominant than Julio Jones

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Michael Thomas hasn't had a double digit TD season yet. He's probably on target for one this season, but for the numbers he puts up everywhere else, I'd assume that he would have by now.

Is he deserving on this list?

I’d say that it is on the low end. He seems to be pretty productive with his opportunities. He’s very good on the quick slant. 

Its probably largely a matter of sample size. He’s only in his 4th season. Through 3 seasons Andre Johnson was averaging 4 TDs/yr. Julio was averaging 6.9 TDs/yr. Fitzgerald had 8 TD/yr and CJ had 7 TD/yr. 

Thomas has averaged 7.6 TDs/yr his first three seasons. So he’s right in line with guys thought to be good TD guys. 

The problem is that after his first three seasons Julio fell off a cliff...especially considering his success. He’s only averaged 5 TDs/yr. Most receivers see an uptick in production between ages 26-31 but Julios TDs numbers got worse.