Could Julio Jones break Jerry Rice's receptions and receiving yards record?

Elky

Jones is currently in his 9th season. He's already nearly halfway to the receptions mark and he crossed the halfway mark for the yards last Sunday. His 95.9 yards per game I believe is an NFL record at the position. He turns 31 in February, but does anyone think he has a shot?

• Like 6

Julio hasn’t been the most durable player. Not to say he’s missed seasons but he’s been banged up throughout his career and IIRC the Falcons had to use analytics to get him the proper rest and such to allow him to last longer (can’t remember the exact story.) But my point is that he’s dominant and he’s probably more durable than Megatron, but I also think he’s not one of those freak athletes that just seemingly never get hurt... I think it would take that kind of athlete equipped with elite skills to break this kind of record.

Again, not saying Julio isn’t a great player or that he’s injury prone or something. Just saying I think he’s at best average when it comes to durability. He’s not freakish in that aspect.

• Like 2

Julio is a crazy good receiver, but he's not THAT type of receiver. You have to look at their WR style to see how it projects to longevity, and with Julio, at least 50% of his potency revolves around just how insane of an athlete he is. He's just bigger, stronger, and faster than virtually all of the DBs out there. Yes, he has more to his game than just pure athleticism, but I think, when you look at it, we've seen hobbled Julio time and again, and he just doesn't make the same kind of impact. Now think of his injuries over the years and the impact age makes on athleticism. Julio's game, out of probably ALL of the elite WRs currently in the NFL, projects the least to late-career success. Not saying that he's not capable of adjusting his game, just that his current game doesn't project well.

Now, I know this is crazy because it's still so early and so much can change, but Nuk has been a game-wrecker for years with a variety of QBs, offensive schemes (even though it's been pretty much one HC the whole time, BOB has changed his entire offense several times over), and HIS game projects really well to late-career success. He's never been an overwhelming athlete, he's a technician that does everything right. Similar to Larry Legend. Hopkins is a refined route-runner and literally creates separation with his body positioning. He's a developed hands-fighter who is immune to press most of the time. He has extreme body control. He has some size to him. He's quicker than fast, and that type of athlete always seems to last longer than the straight-line speed guys.

Based off of skillset and their game, the three WRs right now who stand the BEST chance of beating Jerry Rice's records would be Larry Legend, Nuk, and Michael Thomas, in my humble opinion.

Julio, production-wise, I think would, at best, project to more of a TO or Randy Moss kind of career (minus the TDs, because Julio hasn't been very good in the red zone for most of his career for some reason).

• Like 2

Julio would have to transition to a possession guy as his athleticism dwindles, play in an offense that could get him the ball, and most of all avoid injuries throughout his 30s. Very unlikely, there’s a reason Rice’s records are what they are. 

Nope.  Halfway there in year 9?  That means at 31 he needs to post about 4-5 more elite years, and then 4-5 more ok years.

The face that Larry Fitz has played 15 years, is still 6,000 yards away, and was as durable as they come should be telling.

The guy with the best shot, decided to take that shot and aim it at his own foot instead (Antonio Brown).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Nope.  Halfway there in year 9?  That means at 31 he needs to post about 4-5 more elite years, and then 4-5 more ok years.

The face that Larry Fitz has played 15 years, is still 6,000 yards away, and was as durable as they come should be telling.

The guy with the best shot, decided to take that shot and aim it at his own foot instead (Antonio Brown).

Brown relied on quickness that isn't going to hold up long enough to get close. needed 11000+ yards after turning 31. Julio has a better chance and his chances are less that 1% imo.

• Like 1