Could Julio Jones break Jerry Rice's receptions and receiving yards record?

Elky

41 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Michael Thomas is who we should be talking about for this.

I'd also take a look at Mike Evans. Quietly put up six 1,000 seasons in his first six years as a pro, only WR in history to do so.

Once the Bucs move on from Winston, it's completely reasonable to think he can improve in year 7-12... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

Nope.  Halfway there in year 9?  That means at 31 he needs to post about 4-5 more elite years, and then 4-5 more ok years.

The face that Larry Fitz has played 15 years, is still 6,000 yards away, and was as durable as they come should be telling.

The guy with the best shot, decided to take that shot and aim it at his own foot instead (Antonio Brown).

No to Julio. No to anyone in the league. You’d need to be a receiver like Keenan Allen where you run perfect routes in order to play that long. Then you’d need to hit the health lottery and have a long healthy career. Then you need to play on a pre salary cap team loaded with talent and two hall of fame quarterbacks.

I don’t see Rice’s records ever falling tbh. 

11 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The challenge is longevity. I mean...sure, if Michael Thomas plays until age 42 and keeps his current rate of production...he’ll shatter all the records. But it’s just incredibly difficult to keep it up that long. 

Yeah - I think people forget that Rice has this record because teams were willing to let a 35 year old WR play another seven seasons. 

Guys like Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald are exceptions. Most teams will cut bait with a WR past 33, unless you have a guy willing to play for pennies on the dollar and produce at a very high level. Even then, expect the target share to go down, like it did for Randy Moss his final few seasons.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The challenge is longevity. I mean...sure, if Michael Thomas plays until age 42 and keeps his current rate of production...he’ll shatter all the records. But it’s just incredibly difficult to keep it up that long. 

Oh, no doubt. That's why if someone isn't like 65% of the way there by 30 then there's just no shot. Thomas has had an amazing start his first 4 years, so that's why I brought him up. If you don't get a huge jump start, then you don't have a chance because Rice was too productive the 2nd half of his career to make up any ground later on.

Thomas could shred his knee, get stuck with awful QBs, etc. Just meant of anyone in the league right now with the best shot, it's him because of how productive the start of his career has been and the offense he plays in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Oh, no doubt. That's why if someone isn't like 65% of the way there by 30 then there's just no shot. Thomas has had an amazing start his first 4 years, so that's why I brought him up. If you don't get a huge jump start, then you don't have a chance because Rice was too productive the 2nd half of his career to make up any ground later on.

Thomas could shred his knee, get stuck with awful QBs, etc. Just meant of anyone in the league right now with the best shot, it's him because of how productive the start of his career has been and the offense he plays in.

Completely agree. I think that Rices TD numbers are pretty insane. That’s the number that would be more difficult to reach. Twelve 9+ TD seasons is pretty crazy. 

I think that Thomas has a fair chance to reach Rices reception total, just because he is catching at such a high clip and has been doing so since coming into the league. Rice only had four 100 reception seasons. Thomas will have three in his first 4 seasons. I do think that Thomas could very well end up being the greatest possession WR in NFL history if he keeps this up for another decade, which is possible. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have multiple 120 catch seasons throughout his career. Rice only had one. 

We all talk about longevity of Jerry Rice, but I think it's more than just that.  The man had 1,211 yards and 7 touchdowns at 40 years old.   His records remind me a lot of John Stockton's records(steals and assists) in the NBA.  Yeah, they played a long time, but they also kept their numbers pretty consistent over a very long stretch.  That's really, really hard to do.  

Could Julio(or anyone) break his records?  Sure, it's possible, but I wouldn't put any money on it.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ataal said:

We all talk about longevity of Jerry Rice, but I think it's more than just that.  The man had 1,211 yards and 7 touchdowns at 40 years old.   His records remind me a lot of John Stockton's records(steals and assists) in the NBA.  Yeah, they played a long time, but they also kept their numbers pretty consistent over a very long stretch.  That's really, really hard to do.  

Could Julio(or anyone) break his records?  Sure, it's possible, but I wouldn't put any money on it.  

Yeah, it’s not like Emmitt Smith. Rice is the greatest receiver ever...the longevity really was just insult to injury. Even if Thomas, Evans, or Jones breaks his records...Rice is still the greatest. 

• Like 1