POSITIONS OF ABSOLUTE NEED: 2020 TEs

dll2000

On 1/4/2020 at 10:31 AM, dll2000 said:

I'd like to take this time to point out that in 2016 I pounded table first for Conklin then when he went early for Tunsil and later for Hooper.

And I was against the Floyd pick. 

All players we would love to have now and would fill major holes on our team.  

Of course I am also guy who thought we were 2019 pre season SB contender.  

How about Mcklinety (sp) instead of Roquan? We had Nick K and Danny T and still chose another LB on a stacked defense instead of going for a solid RT. He's on the Niners now and helping them be the 2nd best rushing offense in the league.

Floyd was a boom or bust pick and he's actually a pretty good LB, he just sucks as a pass rusher. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

How about Mcklinety (sp) instead of Roquan? We had Nick K and Danny T and still chose another LB on a stacked defense instead of going for a solid RT. He's on the Niners now and helping them be the 2nd best rushing offense in the league.

Floyd was a boom or bust pick and he's actually a pretty good LB, he just sucks as a pass rusher. 

He is much better than solid as well.

Looks like the Chargers have a ton of cap space so I'm not sure how I see them letting Henry go (unless they don't want him).

Atlanta, on the other hand, is in a rougher spot so I think Hooper *should* hit the market.

Pace had better go get him.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2[43] TE

2[50] QB/OT/CB wherever the value falls.

4. OT/CB/QB

No OG huh?

I agree we need to draft a tackle but I am hesitant to think Pace will burn #50. Leno and Massie aren't going anywhere and are making too much $$$ to be on the bench/a swing tackle.

I think 43/50 will be a combination of TE and CB.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

No OG huh?

I agree we need to draft a tackle but I am hesitant to think Pace will burn #50. Leno and Massie aren't going anywhere and are making too much $$$ to be on the bench/a swing tackle.

I think 43/50 will be a combination of TE and CB.

You can bench Leno and Massie if the guy behind them is making a million dollars. At that point the cost is the same, play the best player.

I think OG is going to get addressed in free agency with a day 1 starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

The Roquan draft I didn't deep scout players.  If you were going to take a LB if I recall I was more in favor of the big LB that Buffalo took because of his upside over Roquan, but I didn't hate the Roquan pick.  

in 2016 I was pushing for top OTs on board rather than Floyd.  The number consensus 1 OT on everybody's board was there and he was falling because of marajuana which nobody cares about anymore and we passed on him.

Instead we took a project pass rusher.  I was really disappointed.  Not that we took a pass rusher, but that we took Floyd.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

2[43] TE

2[50] QB/OT/CB wherever the value falls.

4. OT/CB/QB

No. He has no idea right now.  He will try to get FA's he wants first and then prioritize his board after that.

He ideally likes to okay with starting 22 before every draft so he doesn't feel like he has to address a position if board doesn't fall way he wants.    That's his draft philosophy to enable him to take BPA.  

Whether he's right that players he has on roster are okay and serviceable is another story.  

He thought Davis could be a solid depth or even a starter if necessary I am sure.  But I think he went off his philosophical script here because he was going RB with his first pick come hell or high-water.   He made the classic GM mistake of thinking he was a RB away from a title.   So many have fallen into that trap over the years. *

He obviously thought Burton and Shaheen were good enough starters or would get healthy and that was definitely wrong and probably his widest gaff evaluation of offseason.

He thought starting 5 on OL was good for 2019 same as 2018 and that was definitely wrong.  That wasn't as unreasonable as TE though as same 5 were adequate as a group last year in a lot of ways and collectively fell off a cliff in 2019.  

*People never learn that running game is 70% O line and 30% RB or some such percentage.  Point is OL matters more than RB to running game.  Not to say that RB is meaningless or a talented RB can't help a team.

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The Roquan draft I didn't deep scout players.  If you were going to take a LB if I recall I was more in favor of the big LB that Buffalo took because of his upside over Roquan, but I didn't hate the Roquan pick.  

in 2016 I was pushing for top OTs on board rather than Floyd.  The number consensus 1 OT on everybody's board was there and he was falling because of marajuana which nobody cares about anymore and we passed on him.

Instead we took a project pass rusher.  I was really disappointed.  Not that we took a pass rusher, but that we took Floyd.

I liked the Roquan pick because it was sensible compared to some of Pace's other first rounders. I only issue with Roquan is the position he plays. ILB at the 8th pick is just too high for their impact in today's game. Offensive tackle is such premium  position.

4 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I liked the Roquan pick because it was sensible compared to some of Pace's other first rounders. I only issue with Roquan is the position he plays. ILB at the 8th pick is just too high for their impact in today's game. Offensive tackle is such premium  position.

Agreed.

Rare positions are QB, OT, CB, Pass rusher and ball hawking safety.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Agreed.

Actually Pace has stated this himself before.  Not sure if he put OT on list though.  

I know for sure he said others.  

Edited by dll2000

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.

I agree, but I would be willing to put any of the base 22 positions as 1st rounders, and transcendent talents as top 5 even. But those positions even "good" is worth a top 10 without hesitation. You hope for more than that, but I'd be content with hitting those positions period. 

On 1/6/2020 at 5:22 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned yet is the slight possibility that David Njoku gets released from Cleveland. I know Kitchens is gone now, but they have some other guys there who proved competent, so the new regime may elect to move on.

I don’t think Njoku gets released because if I recall correctly his salary next year is fully guaranteed as a 1st rounder on his rookie deal. His beef was reportedly with Kitchens and he’s gone now. That said, if they’re looking to move him I’d trade a later pick for him. LOVE his skill set, and so would Nagy.