Yankees Just Decide to Not Pay Jacoby Ellsbury Guaranteed Money

ramssuperbowl99

What are the rules regarding use of nonapproved outside doctors? If your contract says you can't use them or that you forfeit guaranteed money if they do a bad job (that would be an interesting fight) then I'm not going to blame the Yankees if they have a real case.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

What are the rules regarding use of nonapproved outside doctors? If your contract says you can't use them or that you forfeit guaranteed money if they do a bad job (that would be an interesting fight) then I'm not going to blame the Yankees if they have a real case.

Exactly right. What are the details and/or arrangement they were working under. Minus that info - characterizing events is nothing more than fanspeak. Teams try to do this all the time. If the basis is legit - they can sometimes recoup all or some of the cash. If not - they're told to take a hike. One or the other will apply here but till the facts are known.....

I dont hate Ellsbury - but - he represents the last gasp of George's "gotta buy a star" philosophy - and he was a bad talent eval and financial deal before he walked in the door.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The NYY are loaded and whats money to them. I got it.

It was bad business.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Exactly right. What are the details and/or arrangement they were working under. Minus that info - characterizing events is nothing more than fanspeak. Teams try to do this all the time. If the basis is legit - they can sometimes recoup all or some of the cash. If not - they're told to take a hike. One or the other will apply here but till the facts are known.....

I dont hate Ellsbury - but - he represents the last gasp of George's "gotta buy a star" philosophy - and he was a bad talent eval and financial deal before he walked in the door.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The NYY are loaded and whats money to them. I got it.

It was bad business.

Ellsbury sucking doesn’t invalidate spending big money on the right players. Will you ever understand this? Virtually no one here supported the Ellsbury deal because our window was closed and he was an injury-prone guy who had a skillset that ages poorly.

George’s problem wasn’t that he spent, it’s that he was obsessed with 33 year old bums who went 3-4 against us once. And he traded actual prospects for them for some reason.

39 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Ellsbury sucking doesn’t invalidate spending big money on the right players. Will you ever understand this?

You know Redsox, I dont know what fantasy world you live in but you continually misrepresent my views. I've never said the above. 

The only comments of mine put on this forum were from last offseason and centered around Harper and/or Machado. I expressed what I felt were the pro's and con's of each player's talents as they related to the current NYY roster and spending.

Outside of each players talents and "fit" in the current roster - I didnt want the team to get stuck in an extended contract that would pay the player well past time he was productive.

Been there. Done that. I never ends well.

But thats it. How you jump from there to "never wanting to spend money on the right player...."

A mystery....but so be it. Life's full of them.

NY Post:

On Friday, multiple sources told The Post, right after Ellsbury cleared release waivers, the Yankees sent a letter to the Players Association notifying them of their intention to convert Ellsbury’s contract from guaranteed to non-guaranteed, thereby liberating them from the outfielder’s $21 million salary for 2020 as well as a $5 million buyout of the $21 million team option for 2021. The basis of the effort is the Yankees’ contention that Ellsbury, who missed the entire 2018 and 2019 seasons due to multiple injuries, received medical treatment at Progressive Medical Center in Atlanta for multiple years without the Yankees’ authorization. The exact time period is in question, hence the uncertainty about how much, if any, of the $127 million the Yankees already have paid Ellsbury will be in play.

The union, livid with the Yankees’ maneuver, made clear it would challenge the team on Ellsbury’s behalf and hinted of a willingness to play offense as well as defense.

If Ellsbury, who is represented by agent Scott Boras, proceeds to file a grievance against the Yankees, an independent arbitrator would resolve the matter unless the two sides can come to a settlement. Baseball’s Basic Agreement mandates that a hearing take place within one year of the grievance filing.

The Basic Agreement also asserts, on page 59: “Any treatment a Player receives for a Work-Related Injury by a health care provider who is not affiliated with the Club must be authorized by the Club in advance of the treatment in accordance with Regulation 2 of the (Uniform Player Contract).”

That’s the edict the Yankees allege Ellsbury violated. How the Yankees might have violated their end of the bargain remains quite hazy.

The Ellsbury case brings to mind Carlos Beltran’s dispute with the Mets in January 2010, when Beltran underwent surgery on his right knee. The Mets argued Beltran, a Boras client at that time, did so without the team’s consent. Ultimately, the team backed down on its threats to litigate, as there had been contact with Boras and Mets officials about Beltran’s medical plans prior to the surgery.

///////////////////

Sounds like Ellsbury was dealing with an "out of network" outfit (so to speak).

I cant see how the team wouldnt know what he was up to. It's not like he was doing anything other than getting therapy. If the team advised him against using this outfit, but he persisted for some reason......oh well. 

I wonder if Ellsbury lives in / around the Atlanta area - didnt want to continually hang around the Tampa facility - so he started seeing that outfit in Georgia. Dont know/cant say. Pure conjecture.

Facts (details) still unknown. If the team doesnt have a leg to stand on - that happens - they'll lose and move on.

Edited by Leader

9 hours ago, Slateman said:

Wait, why would a player need permission to seek his own medical treatment?

The team's paying the player while he's getting hurt - including his medical expenses - hence, they have a vested interest in his medical care. Not just for "quality of care" issues (and getting the player back on the field as quickly as possible) - but also for insurance and mitigating / controlling costs.

Players can get second opinions on matters but whether there's an "in network vs out of network" mandate to those functions, I cant say.

It could be as simple as Ellsbury getting medical attention from this outfit in Atlanta wasnt covered by the insurance policy.

I read that (for some unspecified reason....) the insurance didnt cover next year. Since his contract clearly went that long, its not clear to me why that would be. Perhaps using this Atlanta company was a factor.

• Like 1