What games have gotten your previous head coaches fired

patriotsheatyan

What games have gotten your previous head coaches fired

Like, where your team 4-5 in the second year of your new coach and your fanbase still has some optimism, but your team is blown out 40-6 and suddenly, almost all confidence is lost. Even if he isn’t directly fired right after the game, it is clear that it was a point where he lost huge parts of the fanbase and possibly the management and team as well. 

What were the big games that you generally see as what caused a previous coach to lose it?

• Like 5

In 2006, Marty Schottenheimer got fired for infighting with G.M AJ Smith over hiring his Son on the coaching staff among other things. This all culminating in a embarrassing divisional round loss to Patriots as the #1 team in the AFC.

In 2012, Norv Turner got fired at the end of the season but you can point to the biggest collapse on MNF history as the reason. 24-0 lead on the Manning Broncos and the team loses 35-24 in the 2nd half.

In 2016, Mike McCoy went 5-11 after going 4-12 the previous year. You can point to practically any game as to when he should have got fired because he was a awful HC. I'll just point out that in his 1st game as Head Coach his team blew a 21-0 lead to washed up led Matt Schaub Texans.

• Like 1

The Bears are what we thought they were

They're what we thought they were 

We played them in preseason. I mean, who the hell takes the third game of the preseason like it's bull****? Bull****! We played them in the third game, everybody played three quarters...

The Bears are who we thought they were! That’s why we took the damn field! Now, *slaps microphone* if you want to crown them, then crown their ***! But, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!

• Like 7

Gary Kubiak was fired towards the tail end of the 2013 season - the Texans were already 2-10 on the year, and a lifeless team went out with a whimper against the Jags. Kubiak's insistence on going with Matt Schaub over Case Keenum was too much for a lot of the team, specifically S DJ Swearinger, who proceeded to rack up about five penalties on a single drive.

At that point, it was obvious that Kubiak and Phillips lost the team. Phillips took on HC duties for the final three games of the season before he was fired. Kubiak and Phillips made their way to Denver, where they quickly established the right groove on both sides of the ball and drove that bus to a SB victory.

2008 Week 16: With 2:00 left in the first half, and the Broncos leading (over the Bills) 13-3, Mike Shanahan decides to try a +50 FG in the cold instead of punting (and pinning Buffalo back). Prater misses, the Bills go down and score to make it 13-10 before half, and go on to win 30-23. A win would have put the Broncos in the playoffs, and Shanahan's job would have been safe.

Brian Billick "lost" the team with the Ravens who had a lot of prominent and vocal members on defense at the time. What truly was an issue was the lack of succes finding a solution at the QB position, and the team needed something new to turn the mentality around. Billick wasn't a strict leader, which turned against him as he couldn't control the personalities and coaching on the defensive side on the ball while he couldn't produce an offence.

If we are looking at one particular game - in 2016 Harbaugh and the Ravens front office reiterated they wanted to run the ball more. OC Marc Trestman responded with a gameplan that evolved around running the ball in the 1. quarter, to not running the ball at all in this game https://www.google.dk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRcjPQkNKC9-cbHwtbjGP63gzc5MQ%3A1574495412568&source=hp&ei=tOTYXdH7H5HamwX946rgBg&q=redskins+ravens+2016&oq=redskins+ravens+2016&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30.1337.4742..4879...1.0..0.77.1249.20....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i67j0i273j0i203j0i67i70i253.ZvE9PCuunCw&ved=0ahUKEwjRpY6-7P_lAhUR7aYKHf2xCmwQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#sie=m;/g/11dxb8drcj;6;/m/059yj;tb1;fp;1;;

And gone he was

Pretty sure we’ll point to the Panthers getting merked by the unimpressive Falcons as what finally did Riverboat in. And there are tons of reasons why that’s not gonna be fair, but Tepper has owned the franchise for a season and three quarters and the majority of that time has been embarrassing. I can’t see him being ok with that. 

8 hours ago, Classic said:

In 2006, Marty Schottenheimer got fired for infighting with G.M AJ Smith over hiring his Son on the coaching staff among other things. This all culminating in a embarrassing divisional round loss to Patriots as the #1 team in the AFC.

In 2012, Norv Turner got fired at the end of the season but you can point to the biggest collapse on MNF history as the reason. 24-0 lead on the Manning Broncos and the team loses 35-24 in the 2nd half.

In 2016, Mike McCoy went 5-11 after going 4-12 the previous year. You can point to practically any game as to when he should have got fired because he was a awful HC. I'll just point out that in his 1st game as Head Coach his team blew a 21-0 lead to washed up led Matt Schaub Texans.

Eh I'm not sure if any one game did Norv in. I think I (And a lot of other fans) wanted him fired for a long time before the 2012 season even began. People were surprised that he didn't get fired after 2011.

I know with Todd Haley it was a late season game against the Jets. Lost by like 30 points. It was a game that on paper should've been reasonably close. They were 7-5, we were 5-7. Both teams ended the season middle of the pack in the AFC. But instead we lost 37-10, looked lost, undisciplined, and uncoordinated, including an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Haley himself. Kind of sealed his fate. That season was loaded with blowouts though. Like 48-3 type blowouts. The one against the Jets, and how Haley acted during and after, just sealed it.

Romeo Crennell wasn't a single game. Just one of those, you end the season as the worst team in football, you're probably going to make a change. Worst point differential in Chiefs history, by like 70 points. I don't think KC has ever been worse than that year. And that team had talent, too. I remember getting ridiculed with other KC fans arguing that the team was actually above average in roster talent, just didn't have a coach or QB. The core of that team led us to the playoffs the next year though. Charles, Poe, Houston, Johnson, Hali, Flowers, and Berry. One of the rare years they were all healthy, too, and Crennell/Cassel wasted it.

Herm Edwards, similarly, wasn't really a single game. His last year was probably the worst year in Chiefs history prior to Crennell outdoing him. We were actually competitive in a lot of games in Herm's final year, honestly. As bad as the result was, it was actually a fairly enjoyable year of football to watch. Thigpen was an exciting QB despite all of his flaws, and Johnson, Charles, Bowe, and Gonzalez all had good seasons. A defensive coach leading a unit to only 10 sacks doesn't exactly look good, though. What really damned Herm though was the team moving on from Carl Peterson. You rarely swap GMs and then retain a losing head coach. There was no faith in Peterson as a talent evaluator anymore, and it just made sense to clean house.

Vermeil left on his own terms. Hated that we barely missed the postseason that year. One of those unlucky 10-6 wildcard teams. Sent Vermeil out on a high note though. Absolutely destroyed Cincy in week 17.

When we get as far back as Gunther Cunningham, that's when my memory just gets foggy. The whole hiring Vermeil thing had it's share of controversies and weird moving parts though. I remember it feeling more like we fired Gun to hire Vermeil than anything else. It wasn't like the team was bad under Cunningham, just mediocre. But then there were issues around if they even could hire Vermeil, and then it wound up being a trade, not a signing, because the Rams held his rights even though he had retired. Whole thing. But I normally cite 2002 as the proper start of my Chiefs fandom, so this is where we reach the edges of my actually following things at the time. Now sure, I could tell you why Marty "resigned" but I wasn't technically there for it, so we'll stop at Gunther.