Borderline HOF Players (Please Read Rules Before Voting)

goldfishwars

Which Players Are Future HOF (Vote Max Five)  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which five players from this list deserve to be future HOF over the others?

• Alex Mack - C
    • AJ Green - WR
    • Andrew Whitworth - OT
    • Bobby Wagner - LB
    • Cameron Jordan - DE
    • Cameron Wake - Edge
    • Chandler Jones - DE
    • Fletcher Cox - DT
    • Frank Gore - RB
    • Geno Atkins - DT
    • Harrison Smith - S
    • Jason Kelce - C
    • Jason Peters - OT
    • Johnny Hekker - P
    • Justin Tucker - K
    • Marshal Yanda - G
    • Ndamukong Suh - DT
    • Ryan Kerrigan - Edge
    • Terrell Suggs - Edge
    • Trent Williams - OT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2019 at 12:12 PM

15 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How Yanda only has 10 votes let alone not leading this poll with most votes baffles me. Hes been at worst the 2nd best guard in the league maybe 3rd if your just looking for an argument. Only guy I would say has passed him would be Martin and even he hasnt done it as long as Yanda has. 

Same argument could be said for Peter's but hes had more competition then Yanda has. 

This. You can't have Suggs over Yanda. Yanda's clearly the best at his position for an aggregated period of over a decade. Still playing at a very high level and he has been on historically significant teams. I think he's clearly above anyone on this list because he shouldn't be borderline.

Suggs had the DPOY season and has some great longevity but he was rarely at the very very top of his position.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

I voted for guys that I felt wouldn't get enough love, but are HOF-caliber players IMO. 

Trent Williams has been an ELITE left tackle his whole career. At worst 3rd-best in pretty much any given season, but there were guys like Joe Thomas and Tyron Smith that got more hype.

Marshall Yanda is EASILY an HOFer, but I didn't think he'd have many votes. He's been the best guard in the league over the course of his career. Yeah, there are guys like Zack Martin who was a better RG late in Yanda's run at RG, and Quenton Nelson is now the best LG in the league with Yanda playing at that spot, but Yanda probably has more seasons of being the best guard than any other player in the league right now, and has been as steady as they come. He's seriously been the engine for the Ravens' deadly rushing attack for YEARS, and is very reliable in pass pro.

Andrew Whitworth and Jason Peters have such great longevity at tackle. Peters gets in ahead of Whitworth, because Peters has been more acclaimed over the course of his run, but Whitworth is finally getting some recognition late in his career with the Rams after consistently being one of those guys that played incredibly but got snubbed from the Pro Bowl because he was an offensive lineman on the Bengals. He's always been a team leader, as well. Both are terrific players.

Fletcher Cox got my last vote. He's an easy selection but will get less votes because he plays IDL.

Now, as for guys that I DIDN'T vote for:

Bobby Wagner is such a no-brainer Hall of Famer. I think Terrell Suggs could easily get in, as well. It's my impression that while Harrison Smith wasn't a BAD safety early in his career, he didn't become an elite player until recently. However, with a few years of being the best safety in the NFL, he may deserve a spot in Canton. My opinion on Frank Gore is well-known and a lot of people seemed to agree with it in the thread about him. Yes, he's a Hall of Fame-caliber player. He's been so steady, and while he doesn't have a ton of ELITE years at the position, he hasn't really had any weaknesses to his game. He has always had good contact balance and power, good at shedding tackles but not the Darren Sproles, Alvin Kamara, Jamaal Charles type of runner that just makes people look silly. He's a solid receiver. He's been an elite pass protector for his whole career and one of the best locker room presences in the league. 

I mean, really and truly, everyone on this list has a case for the Hall. In fact, the player with the most years of being the best at his position is tied for the least votes. The only ones that I would say no to are Suh and Kelce. Jason Kelce is good, but just has never been THAT caliber of player to me, and he does have limitations to his game for his position. He's a reliable pass protector, has even had a few top-3 seasons in pass pro, and he's a mobile center, which is a boon for what you can do with your scheme, but he's undersized and gets beaten badly in the run game at times, as well. He HAS been one of the better centers in the league. Suh is a bigger name than player. Pretty much always has been. He's been a monster at times, but then disappears completely at others. He's not a high-motor type of player. He gives up a lot. And he's not a great locker-room guy.

Chandler Jones and Ryan Kerrigan are both guys that have been very underrated for most of their careers, and Jones has been one of the league's top sack leaders for years now but nobody cares because he plays for the Cardinals. However, I don't know that either are HOF worthy - yet. Both are borderline, though. Cam Jordan is pretty much in the same boat. He's gotten more acclaim lately with the Saints playing well, and he's been steady. I think any of these three need one HUGE season still, or three to four more double-digit sack seasons, before they have a serious case for the Hall. Geno Atkins has been pretty good for his whole career, and is part of that breed of interior pass rusher that can produce like an edge rusher, but ultimately, I think it will be hard for him to get in playing for the Bengals. AJ Green needs more years of steady production and probably a ring. Heck, people still argued that Larry Legend didn't deserve to get in until like the end of the season two years ago, and that was after incredible late-career resurgence in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Isaac Bruce still isn't in the Hall of Fame - AJ Green would be a ways behind him on that list, IMO. Heck, he'd probably be behind Torry Holt on that list. I know he's one of the most-beloved players in Bengals history, means a lot to his city, and the team wants to keep him around in the locker room. But he's not a Hall of Famer yet.

Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson are both players that should be on this list. Until he got off suspension this season, Patty P was widely-regarded as the best corner in football. He has years and years of shutting guys down. The corner opposite Patrick Peterson always looked uneven at best, and that's because they were targeted on pretty much every single play with him smothering receivers. And Richard Sherman defined an era. He was the biggest name on a defense of big names, and he lived up to it. And he's been fantastic this whole season as the primary leader on that 49ers' squad. Just watch the press conferences. It's clear that, out of all of the players, Sherman is the alpha on that team. Both are easy Hall of Fame choices.

My votes lines up almost identically to how I think things should be...

Hall of Famers: Andrew Witworth, Frank Gore, Bobby Wagner, Marshal Yanda, Terrell Sugs

Just outside: Jason Peters, Justin Tucker, AJ Green

Only difference between how I feel in reality vs this topic is that I feel Justin Tucker is a top 3 Kicker all time and will be a HoFer by the time his career ends.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

This. You can't have Suggs over Yanda. Yanda's clearly the best at his position for an aggregated period of over a decade. Still playing at a very high level and he has been on historically significant teams. I think he's clearly above anyone on this list because he shouldn't be borderline.

Suggs had the DPOY season and has some great longevity but he was rarely at the very very top of his position.

Suggs and Gore are easily over Yanda for me. Yanda really reminds me of Champ Bailey. An elite season here or there that carried his reputation so that when he had average or good seasons people still viewed them as elite.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How are people differentiating between Peters and Whitworth?

This. Their careers are almost identical with two major exceptions; Peters has a ring from a game he didn't play in whereas Whitworth lost in his only shot at a ring and Peters has more Pro Bowls which is to be expected given he was on more popular teams/had a more marketable story. For instance, Peters made Pro Bowls in seasons where he gave up 11.5, 6.5, and 6.5 sacks respectively, all of which were amongst the worst in the league that season. Whitworth has given up 6.5 sacks or more 3 times his entire career (and never more than 7) but never made the Pro BOwl during one of those seasons. They really should be going into the real HoF together the same year.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

How Yanda only has 10 votes let alone not leading this poll with most votes baffles me. Hes been at worst the 2nd best guard in the league maybe 3rd if your just looking for an argument. Only guy I would say has passed him would be Martin and even he hasnt done it as long as Yanda has. 

Same argument could be said for Peter's but hes had more competition then Yanda has. 

Yanda and Peters are very much the Champ Bailey's of this era. They had some elite years but in between them they had a lot of average to great years that people overlooked based largely on their name. Now, it's better to be consistently average or better in your career than to majorly fluctuate, but the argument that there weren't better people at their position better than them year in and year our is not really accurate.

3 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

I'm very tough on allowing entry to the Hall. I don't see any on that list I would include.

Please understand, I'm a Pats fan and huge fan of Pats CB Ty Law who was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and IMO, I would have said no to him too. 

THANK you. I'm very much a "Small Hall" person. I'm not just letting in anybody who was good for awhile. I only want the greats.

Nobody on this list immediately stands out, and I'd probably vote no for them all. Suggs stands out for his on-field work, but is a vile human being so if it was up to me I'd still vote no.

I understand people thinking guys like Wagner, Gore, Suh, etc, but I dunno....just not quite from me

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Suggs and Gore are easily over Yanda for me. Yanda really reminds me of Champ Bailey. An elite season here or there that carried his reputation so that when he had average or good seasons people still viewed them as elite.

He has been consistently stellar every game I've seen him in. I dont watch Ravens games every week but what I have seen is a player has been arguably the top player at his position for the majority if his career. The same cant be said for Gore and Suggs.