Everything Else

lumberjackchris

I know we used to have this thread going in the old forum, and needed somewhere to post.

Had our 2nd round matchup against Dickinson at NRG yesterday. Didn’t play near a complete game but won 46-27. Were back in NRG Saturday against Katy Tompkins who’s QB is committed to UT. Winner gets the winner of Katy/North Shore the following week in the Regional Final.

This area is loaded with talent. 

• Like 1

I guess this would be a good place to gloat about the best team in Texas again.  The 10-1 Big 12 Championship game bound Baylor Bears.  Bang your head into that Herman you giant overrated duuush canoe.  $75 million for "quality losses" with the real rape enabler, eh Aggie?  So Texas Monthly (aka Alumni Magazine) & ESPN (aka SEC/Longhorn Network) - why no follow up report on the fact that your contrived "scandal" still has yet to produce 1 single conviction of a sexual assault by a player who actually played a down of football at Baylor or a single sanction?  That would be 1 less murderer than Aggie produced and 2 less rapists than UT over the same period, but hey it pays to own a statewide periodical and have a network with an obvious and effective financial incentive to promote the SEC and UT and take down the program beating you with 1/4th the resources.  Still can't use all that power, media influence, money, t-shirt sales, and recruiting awards to actually produce a winning product???  You couldn't even do it after stealing your best players from us (Mond, Duvernay, etc) and us being left with that little table scrap UT didn't want in Big12 Player of the Year Charlie Brewer (gee, have you heard that his dad, brother, and grandpa all played at UT enough this season as if there isn't anything that matters in this conference but UT ties or Sam "we're baaack" Ehlinger who is now 0-5 vs. Brewer in his life). Aww - what's the excuse this time when even after the hit job and coaching hires, you're already back in the wake of the little private school on the Brazos just 3 years later.  Oh yeah - suck it Patterson you fat sanctimonious *** with your drug addled program that took on more "character" problems in your average season than Baylor did with Briles in a decade.  Let your towel girl dry your tears as you wallow in another 7th place finish and your funneled oil money.  Our goofy little Yankee coach hire that would never work in Texas out coached and out worked all your deep texas ties rebuilding a program from the ashes in a matter 3 years.      

See also, 2 loss Florida still somehow ahead of the 1 loss power 5's and Alabama will no doubt steal the #4 spot despite not playing in it's own conference championship game while Baylor WON it's conference but was left out of the playoff because the Big 12 didn't have one at the time (with an assist to the obvious tank job by Wisconsin vs. Ohio St as Alverez' parting gift to the Big 10).  Strength of schedule - yep mighty Bama hasn't beaten a top25 team all season but we're all impressed by the Western Carolina beatdown aren't we?  Funny how epic the narrow LSU win vs. UT was, yet Baylor curb stomping them was barely a ripple.  Yep, every loss is a quality loss in the SEC where you get 1 less conference matchup and November dates against FCS teams before rivalry games while the Big 12 and Pac 12 eat their own every year and in the Big 12 teams get a 2nd crack at you in the championship. Oh yes, 2 loss Michigan over Baylor as well two teams that pounded them in their own conference in Penn St and Wisc. is pretty special.  Baylor has 4 wins over teams currently ranked and 6 that were ranked at one point and lost to   Oklahoma on the final play yet Utah is the one staring at a possible playoff birth with it's whopping 1 win over a ranked opponent with 6-5 ASU and a loss against the laughably ranked 8-4 USC Trojans (second most contrived ranking next to Michigan's).

Hell, I don't even care anymore in the corrupt NCAA which if it were the NFL would just find a way to get the Cowboys to the final 4 every year.  In the games that were actually played on the field vs. fat cat blue blood boardrooms it's been such a fun season to watch my Bears show how gritty hard nosed well coached football without the hype or drama can be effective.  Oh yes, we also have the most academic all-american's in the country.  Suck it, Texas and Sic Em!    

Edited by Apollo Stallion

13 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Playing the defending 6A Champs, North Shore Saturday at 2 at CE King’s new stadium! 

North Shore is pretty tough, right? Zach Evans is their RB, right? 5 Star recruit, probably the top RB in the nation. That kid is going to be special...

Good luck!

• Like 1

So I live in a small Arkansas town. We play 2A basketball. Our girls team won the 2A championship last year, brought back 7 of their 9 rotation. Added a 6ft 2 freshman with D1 offers. 

several rankings have us #1 in the entire state, for app classifications, and max preps even has us ranked in the top 15 of the nation. 

we also don’t have a single senior who starts and only 1 in the 2 deep. They are incredible. Last year they won every game at the state tourney by over 20 points. 

we’ve only had 1 competitive game this season, we won by 8 against the 4th largest school in Arkansas. 

If we are playing an average team, we usually have a 40 point lead at halftime. We’ve literally Pulled our starters in the 2nd quarter of games.  They are fun to watch. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

North Shore is pretty tough, right? Zach Evans is their RB, right? 5 Star recruit, probably the top RB in the nation. That kid is going to be special...

Good luck!

Ya, he hasn’t been that great this year. Still Uber talented. Their QB who’s a Jr just committed to Va Tech. He torched Katy last week because they stacked the box to stop Evans. 

Word is Evans was about to commit to LSU Wednesday but met with Jimbo Fisher and staff Tuesday and delayed his commitment. 

58 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So I live in a small Arkansas town. We play 2A basketball. Our girls team won the 2A championship last year, brought back 7 of their 9 rotation. Added a 6ft 2 freshman with D1 offers. 

several rankings have us #1 in the entire state, for app classifications, and max preps even has us ranked in the top 15 of the nation. 

we also don’t have a single senior who starts and only 1 in the 2 deep. They are incredible. Last year they won every game at the state tourney by over 20 points. 

we’ve only had 1 competitive game this season, we won by 8 against the 4th largest school in Arkansas. 

If we are playing an average team, we usually have a 40 point lead at halftime. We’ve literally Pulled our starters in the 2nd quarter of games.  They are fun to watch. 

Wow, that sounds like an incredible group!

Question to my gamers here - I finally got a PS4 (Black Friday finally got me, got the $199 bundle with God of War, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn). I also got Mass Effect: Andromeda simply because the original Mass Effect trilogy is perhaps my favorite series of games.

So, my questions are as follows:

- Is Madden finally good again? I hated pretty much every version from the PS3, did they finally get Franchise Mode correct?

- Are there any good single player games? Seems like everything is online, and I'm interested in a good, single player driven story. 

- Any overall suggestions on games to get? I've got my eye on Star Wars: Fallen Order, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Are there any good racing sims out there such as Gran Turismo, Burnout or Need for Speed?

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Question to my gamers here - I finally got a PS4 (Black Friday finally got me, got the $199 bundle with God of War, The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn). I also got Mass Effect: Andromeda simply because the original Mass Effect trilogy is perhaps my favorite series of games.

So, my questions are as follows:

- Is Madden finally good again? I hated pretty much every version from the PS3, did they finally get Franchise Mode correct?

- Are there any good single player games? Seems like everything is online, and I'm interested in a good, single player driven story. 

- Any overall suggestions on games to get? I've got my eye on Star Wars: Fallen Order, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Are there any good racing sims out there such as Gran Turismo, Burnout or Need for Speed?

I loved Franchise Mode in Madden (and I stopped with the PS3 as well).  I am ectstatic they brought Madden back for PC (i mainly did franchise mode on the PC).

Sorry i didn't answer any of your questions - I was just interested to see a fellow Kempner Kougar who enjoyed franchise mode... lol

• Like 1

Just now, jch1911 said:

I loved Franchise Mode in Madden (and I stopped with the PS3 as well).  I am ectstatic they brought Madden back for PC (i mainly did franchise mode on the PC).

I still have my PS2 as well as Madden/NCAA 2005 and 2006. I found a guy selling NCAA named rosters on eBay, dropped $20 and have fully accurate rosters from the 2005 season.

It's fun drafting guys like Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson...

On 12/6/2019 at 8:43 AM, ET80 said:

I still have my PS2 as well as Madden/NCAA 2005 and 2006. I found a guy selling NCAA named rosters on eBay, dropped $20 and have fully accurate rosters from the 2005 season.

It's fun drafting guys like Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson...

Xbox guy here.  I gotta say, Madden 20 is the best it's been in a long time.  All I do is franchise (just finished up a 30 year run with Texans w/12 rings!!!).  Watson, Hopkins, Watt all made Hall of Fame (along with Clowney who I resigned and Kareem Hunt who was a steal) altho sadly I had to let Watson walk to the Bears after his first 7 year/$270 million deal expired.  I developed about a dozen other HOFers for my dynasty (coached by Matt Rhule).  Most of my major beefs with franchise have been fixed (5th year options, player progression/regression, scouting). You can even import "real" draft classes, but I prefer the fake ones which are more balanced. Gameplay is decent as long as you don't cheez the sliders or abuse a few go to plays. Be prepared for a much bigger spread in player abilities, which I actually like as the majority should be 65-75 leaving room for a 90+ Hop, 80+ Fuller/Stills, 70 Coutee, 60 Carter, 50 Mitchell, etc.   One new feature I really like is the "scenario engine" which recognizes breakout players and gives you a chance to upgrade, has diva players get mad if they don't get looks, punishes you for playing stars once you lock up the division, etc.  It's far from perfect as trades are still pretty wonky (I just have to self-impose a restriction on acquiring more than 1 1st and 2nd rounder), no comp picks, and my draft system has taken a bit too much risk out of the equation as I never get a bust and can almost always find the late round gems.  I cherry pick 5 games per season to actually play and sim the rest (including playoffs) which provides a decent balance of roster building and in game skill.  I skipped M18 & M19 after being exasperated with broken mechanics and them completely ignoring franchise, but gotta say they've stepped it up this year particularly with the in season updates and roster/ranking updates every Thursday.  I hate feeding the EA machine, as they are still evil, but absent actual competition, this one is worth getting.  

My favorite franchise BY FAR is Battlefield.  Been playing since OG PC BF1942 days in 2002.  Took about a decade break from gaming due to work/kids, but got back into it when I got my son an XBONE in 2015.  Battlefield 4 hooked me back in.  Battlefield 1 (WW1) is probably my all-time favorite game at this point.  Battlefield V hasn't sucked me in as it feels a bit too Call of Duty-ish.  I'm good at deeply immersive huge map strategy stuff, not quick scoping 500 yard sniper shots or one on one battles. 

My boy got 3rd place in a Fortnite tourney last year and I gotta admit, I love watching him play, but there is just no competing against the young guys and their quick twitch muscle memory.  I have a headset, but generally can't stand listening to toxic twats so chat is always off. PUB-G (Player Unknowns Battlegrounds) was a decent more adult alternative, but I just suck.    

Two others I like are Prominence Poker (if only I could play that well with my real bankroll) and Rocket League (think soccer with cars).    I play most of the Sports games in season but usually a year late when they hit EA Access. I went thru a big FIFA phase during World Cup and NHL during my Blues run last year. Just pummeled the boy in NBA Live last night, but I've always heard NBA2K is better.  I actually learned alot from Career Mode in FIFA as I never quite understood how all those leagues work alongside national teams and the bizarre player movement and roster building.  Baseball is the one exception as none of the console games have franchise modes that fit my need to run the entire organization from Single A-Rookie League thru Majors (Baseball Mogul or OOTP), but Super Mega Baseball 2 is fun as a pure arcade baseball game without an MLB license.  I recommend doing the EA Access thing as for like $30 you get all the sports games as long as you can stand being a year behind and/or know how to update rosters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

CC (Ceandris) Brown is caught up in it too.  Insurance fraud is not small potatoes and US Justice Dept has like a 95% conviction rate.  These guys are doing time. 

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1