Everything Else

lumberjackchris

I kind of like him lol, well more his wife ClaireBear.

Not in anyway down playing the charges, but he’s got a family now and looks like he was just trying to move past his past.

Not sure if we have any fellow teachers on the boards, but this virtual teaching SUCKS. I would much rather be in person but the “safety precautions” districts are taken are a joke

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, lumberjackchris said:

Not sure if we have any fellow teachers on the boards, but this virtual teaching SUCKS. I would much rather be in person but the “safety precautions” districts are taken are a joke

Parent checking in - I'm also disliking this whole process. 

Edit: Not because of the TEACHERS. Our teachers are kicking *** in all of this, couldn't be more excited that my kids get to work with such talented, passionate educators.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bears fan here.  Rumors are that they are considering major, sweeping changes throughout the organization after this year ends.  One thing talked about is hiring a president of football ops and one name kicked around a lot is Rick Smith.  Just curious of your guys thoughts on him, his strengths, weaknesses, etc.  If what I’m reading is correct he wasn’t fired, but instead left on his own terms to take care of his sick wife.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Bears fan here.  Rumors are that they are considering major, sweeping changes throughout the organization after this year ends.  One thing talked about is hiring a president of football ops and one name kicked around a lot is Rick Smith.  Just curious of your guys thoughts on him, his strengths, weaknesses, etc.  If what I’m reading is correct he wasn’t fired, but instead left on his own terms to take care of his sick wife.  Thanks!

Rick Smith - there's a guy we haven't heard from in a while. You're right, he did leave to tend to his wife Tiffany (who did eventually pass away from breast cancer). However, there was a lot of friction between Smith and Bill O'Brien, so that played into it as well (but, EVERYONE didn't like O'Brien).

Strengths:

- GREAT talent evaluator in the first round. From 2007-2017, Smith only missed on two FRPs (DT Amobi Okoye and CB Kevin Johnson). Outside of that, he gets guys like Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, Kareem Jackson, JJ Watt, Whitney Mercilius, DeAndre Hopkins, Jadevion Clowney, Will Fuller, Deshaun Watson - he has an eye for talent in this round, he's hitting .800 in that respect.

- He can find some good UDFAs. Not just ST guys, but starters and borderline elite players such as Arian Foster, AJ Bouye, Case Keenum.

- Manages a cap as well as anyone else. Up until BoB's tenure, the Texans never had cap issues. They made some interesting decisions (more on that later) but the Texans always had a healthy cap situation on their hands. 

- He's very connected in the league. He's served on various diversity committees, and is always in good graces with the competetion committee and such. Very well respected as a GM, can pick up the phone and get to work with pretty much every GM in some capacity.

Weaknesses:

- His evaluation from rounds 2-7 is abysmal. In that same 07-17 range, he's only found guys such as Bernardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, Brandon Brooks, Glover Quin and Derek Netwon outside of the first; If he's hitting .800 in the first round, he's hitting .085 beyond the first round. 

- He lets key guys walk away for nothing. Brooks, Quin and Bouye were allowed to walk without a fight; These were home grown bodies you developed and when the time came to keep them, he let them walk away. Those were some key positions the Texans are still trying to resolve. (Maybe this is why the cap was so well managed?)

- His eye for FAs is hit or miss. He finds a few filler guys to fit into spots, and he had a huge coup when he opted to bring in Jonathan Joseph over Nnamdi Asomugha, but his other moves has been nothing special; Ed Reed, Ahman Green, Vince Wilfork - paying big money to aging vets isn't good business.

So, there's good - but there's bad too. Gotta take it all together. Maybe time off has cleared that up? Not sure, guess we'll find out.

Good luck!

• Like 2

So I coach boy's basketball at a small Arkansas school, just a 2A school, but we have an amazing girls team. They have won back to back state championships, and will easily win a 3rd straight. All 5 starters are going to play college ball, two of them D1. They have scheduled all 5A and 6A schools in their non conference and have beaten all but 1, a team they were 10 points better than but just didnt have a good game. A few weeks ago they beat the best team in the state for any classification. They are really good. Our boys are not as good lol. We have 1 guy who is going to play small college ball, and he's been out the last 4 games, and we don't know if he's gonna be back this season. With him we have a chance at making the final 8 or possibly the final 4 and then who knows, but without him, we can probably still make the state tourney but will be an early out. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

How my fellow Texas residents doing so far with the snow/freezing weather? 

Without power for the last 14 hours. Got the gas fireplace going, wife, kids, dog and I sleeping in the living room to keep warm.

It's horrible, tbh.

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

power came on at 10 am, but still have no water.

Approaching 36 hours without power. This is unacceptable - Centerpoint/ERCOT executives need to be fired and held to criminal charges.

This isn't some simple oversight or an error in judgment - this is incompetence, and someone needs to be held accountable.

• Like 3