The Duck Hodges thread

3rivers

58 minutes ago, August4th said:

why not

I'll take his mediocre passing + ability to move around in the pocket over Mason Mediocre passing + zero ability to move around

and then there is the awareness and knowing when to scramble or throw it away, which for some reason mason has lacked since the concussion.

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

Mason could be competing to stay on the team next yr

if duck plays well to finish the yr and outplays Mason in the preseason...

Mason won't be on the team next year most likely.  He has had a severe change post concussion, will he ever recover? Plus the team might not have confidence in him either.  

Duck will be practising with the #1's  all week and it should help even more. Will JJSS return? I don't expect Connor back, but Snell, Whyte and Finney are getting the yards on the ground.  

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Hodges won the Walter Payton award and holds the FCS record for yards thrown in his career. He has talent just not at the major level.  His only knock is LOC in college.

I'll take his ability to roll out and thrown with velocity.

Duck is calm  and knows when to escape the pressure and hits WR's in stride. It will be much different now, unless tomlin or colbert has Mason starting next week that is 9_9

8 hours ago, mwalker said:

No way I can see Mason not with the team next year.
I don't think we'll get Ben's replacement next year either though.
I'm not sold we'd get anything other than a project where
we pick and we need those picks other places.

2021 though...

Yeah, there's no reason to move on from Mason. People realize a team carries 3 QBs right? Mason is apparently a meticulous planner, that's helpful in a backup. 

• Like 1

I honestly haven’t given up on Mason. I do think he needs another year or so to learn, and that the concussion has really brought him down as a QB. His decision making has drastically changed, he seems lost in the pocket and doesn’t deserve to be on the field, but his preparation is top notch according to everyone. 

It really is a shame that Rudolph has not played well since getting knocked out. Obviously something changed with him, and he is not that same kid we saw in preseason and the start of this year. Perhaps sitting out another week or two will help, or perhaps nothing will.  He really did have potential though. I hope he can get it back.

• Like 2

Everyone is acting like Rudolph post concussion is drastically different than he was before it. I guess my expectations were too high with having Ben under center for so long. I felt even before the concussion his pocket presence and accuracy were lacking. I do feel post concussion he is playing more timid but honestly if you think about it pre concussion he was playing timid as well as he was constantly checking the ball down. Teams have figured that out and are in single coverage and are all over the check down now. They send an extra man and when the check down man is covered Rudolph panics and doesn't have the mobility to extend the play to find the open the reciever down field. I will give him the excuse that I think with the young receivers they don't know how to break off the route to get open when they know the qb is under pressure but I still believe his biggest issue is his feet. With this type of qb you need to have an amazing line, a great wr core and a good offensive coach none of which we have right now. I have seen enough of him to know he isn't our long term answer. Duck probably isn't either but at least give Duck a chance with some prep work to see what he can do and at the very least he can extend plays or scramble for a first down.

I agree with Duff. Rudolph has struggled with accuracy from the time he took over. I am personally sick of watching his inaccuracy and noodle arm. Even when he tries to step into the throw (which I know is rare) he is like Randy Johnson pitching in the all-star game with a wild throw. He clearly has a lot to learn and I would expect him to get better so I wouldn’t rush to kick him out of the league. 

As for Duck, I like the moxie he shows. He may not be the biggest kid with a big arm, but he has a lot of confidence and the players seem to really like him and also believe in his abilities, which is something Rudolph is clearly lacking at this point. Hopefully the time holding a clipboard will serve Rudolph well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Regulators87 said:

As for Duck, I like the moxie he shows. He may not be the biggest kid with a big arm, but he has a lot of confidence and the players seem to really like him and also believe in his abilities, which is something Rudolph is clearly lacking at this point. Hopefully the time holding a clipboard will serve Rudolph well. 

that was gordon the one scramble, he hurt the DB, Duck walks away while the defender is hurt and eventually is attended to. How often does that happen.  It's too bad about Mason, I had hoped he would dow well and thought he would but after the concussion he really hasn't been the same. Maybe the rest of the year on the sidelines and a good offseason will help. Lets hope because that's a fast decline and a scare considering how bad that cheap shot was, being out before he hit the ground, then walking off the field to add insult9_9

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

0 chance anyone but Hodges starts against the Browns but temper your enthusiasm.  He had 36 yards and went 4/10 if you take away the 79 yard td. He has better pocket awareness and mobility and a quicker decision making mind though

give him a full week of reps and a full game, and I expect something comparable to the chargers game.  Get the running game going to help out too, balance the offence. If they (Tomlin or colbert) start Mason, then they deserve the loss and a meeting with he owners

• Like 1