(Polls) Does the Offensive Get 'There' this Year?

Mind Character

Do we get there this year?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Offense Get "There" this Year?

• No. I think we'll see improvement but ultimately we'll need the off-season to take the next step.
    • Yes. At some point, we'll put it together and get "there."
  2. 2. At this point, what's the deciding factor or reason for our offense not getting "there?"

• The Offensive Line is the main reason we're not "there" yet
    • Baker's Untimely Mechanical issues, Route Progression Reading issues, and Misses.
    • Freddie's Inability to get the Play-calls in, the lack of Pace Control Play-calling, and Situational Play-calling.
    • The Chemistry between the Wide-Receivers and Baker aka issues carrying over from the off-season.
  3. 3. Does this Offense take the next step next year?

• No. We'll get close but just inconsistently flash but as honestly I don't see Freddie leading us to the next level as long as he's the primary play-caller and Monken is side-lined. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Yes, I think between Freddie getting better as a coach, personnel changes, and Baker's improvement with the WRs we'll end up getting "there.".

1 minute ago, sonny44 said:

Must throw downfield more; no matter if completed or not, you have to stretch the defenses.  Too many piddly look ins and poorly executed screens.

If we can knock off all of the cutesy plays that involve a RB/WR fumbling the ball on a pop pass behind the LOS that would be a great start.

Still feel like this offense needs more simple plays and it doesn't have to be a crazy gadget play every 3 plays 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

If we can knock off all of the cutesy plays that involve a RB/WR fumbling the ball on a pop pass behind the LOS that would be a great start.

Still feel like this offense needs more simple plays and it doesn't have to be a crazy gadget play every 3 plays 

I feel like high school and college teams use shovel passes, jet sweeps, etc all the time.  

Not sure why we shouldn’t expect pros to be able to execute a two yard pitch and catch.

40 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Randy Moss Brady Year 1 

Terrell Owens Mcnabb year 1 

Amari Dak 

Cousins Thielin 

Plaxico Eli

some off the top of my head

Im just saying it shouldn’t take a whole year with a player as good as Odell is for it to take this long 

None of those teams had 4 all pros

To get chemistry with

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel like high school and college teams use shovel passes, jet sweeps, etc all the time.  

Not sure why we shouldn’t expect pros to be able to execute a two yard pitch and catch.

Im not mad that they use them, Im more mad at the frequency. It sill seems like the vast majority of our plays are long developing and Baker is still doing his double clutch thing he does. Against a good DL, thats where all of the trouble starts to happen. I just wish they would run some more smash mouth from under center that would open up a loooot of play action with designed roll outs

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im not mad that they use them, Im more mad at the frequency. It sill seems like the vast majority of our plays are long developing and Baker is still doing his double clutch thing he does. Against a good DL, thats where all of the trouble starts to happen. I just wish they would run some more smash mouth from under center that would open up a loooot of play action with designed roll outs

I think a lot of that is because it’s hard to line up and physically dominate NFL defenses, especially with our OL.

All the misdirection is to aid in combatting their speed and keeping them from playing downhill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think a lot of that is because it’s hard to line up and physically dominate NFL defenses, especially with our OL.

All the misdirection is to aid in combatting their speed and keeping them from playing downhill.

We seem to be the only ones fooled by our cutesy plays.

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

There is infinite room for improvement in just about everything.

Yeah I thought our Ravens performance was better than the one this week, tbh.

The Dolphins are horrible. We just don't have an identity on offense yet. That's not good this late into the season. It seems like we want our identity to be "bubble screen & slant" team.   That's not a wildly successful model tbh...

I want us to be running more power offense stuff with built-in play action shots off of it. With Landry running crossers and OBJ running vertical. That's what I'd be doing more of.

I think we'll eventually click. But something always seems off with the play calling. It's like we're grab-bagging plays. And we get too unconventional for the sake of being unconventional IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I thought our Ravens performance was better than the one this week, tbh.

The Dolphins are horrible. We just don't have an identity on offense yet. That's not good this late into the season. It seems like we want our identity to be "bubble screen & slant" team.   That's not a wildly successful model tbh...

I want us to be running more power offense stuff with built-in play action shots off of it. With Landry running crossers and OBJ running vertical. That's what I'd be doing more of.

I think we'll eventually click. But something always seems off with the play calling. It's like we're grab-bagging plays. And we get too unconventional for the sake of being unconventional IMO.

After the first 15 scripted plays each week the offense turns really clunky regardless if they are moving the ball or not. They made it look good this week, but the reason Im still skeptical is because it was the Dolphins and it still didnt look smooth at times.

• Like 1