will Watt set a new team record

3rivers

steelers future on defense looks bright

have two guys in the DPOY race with Watt(25) and Minka(22) and one of the better rookie linebackers in Bush(21). Tuitt was a beast before he went down(26). Nelson has been playing like a shutdown corner(26). if they somehow keep Bud and make some moves to help the offense and Ben looks right, I'm going to be really hyped going into next yr

30 minutes ago, August4th said:

steelers future on defense looks bright

have two guys in the DPOY race with Watt(25) and Minka(22) and one of the better rookie linebackers in Bush(21). Tuitt was a beast before he went down(26). Nelson has been playing like a shutdown corner(26). if they somehow keep Bud and make some moves to help the offense and Ben looks right, I'm going to be really hyped going into next yr

And honestly, Hargrave isn't really improving his stock all that much thus far. He might be a little cheaper than anticipated. I can hope, at least.

and Heyward is a legit pro bowler every year.  If this defence gets some help from the offence, it will make a difference in that they won't be as tired  later in games .  Like this scheme more than LeBeaus and the players are well suited for this. I still don't like how butler plays william instead of Bush , unless the real reason is to keep Bush rested, we never know. 

Many of the players on this defence will be going into their primes over the next 4 years,  it could be formidable. 

9 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

he's honestly undermined by his own teammate.

maybe Watt and Minkah can both win the awardB|  splitting the votes evenly . I liked how Minkah was there for the FF and made sure he didn't step out of bounds. It was all another day at the office during that play, no big deal for Minkah. Nice play by Bush, lets not forget about him despite not playing as much lately

Edited by 3rivers

On 11/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, August4th said:

He is near the QB and ball carrier constantly.    He is held constantly.    He is honestly starting to reach his bros level of dominance....and I dont say that lightly.    Im not someone who puts our players on undeserved pedestals....but thats seriously how good he is.

Steelers have to make the playoffs for him to have a chance at DPOY, though.   

On 2019-11-29 at 5:13 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

He is near the QB and ball carrier constantly.    He is held constantly.    He is honestly starting to reach his bros level of dominance....and I dont say that lightly.    Im not someone who puts our players on undeserved pedestals....but thats seriously how good he is.

Steelers have to make the playoffs for him to have a chance at DPOY, though.   

who would be the front runner(s) for DPOY right now?  I would expect Bosa but there are others leading the race for the Gastineau award (sacks leader) but are on losing teams which doesn't help. Usually DPOY is on a winning /playoff team. 

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Shaq Barrett has 2 more sacks and more FF than Watt. I've heard people say Stephom Gilmore should get it.

To me, TJ Watt is the clear cut choice, I'd be surprised if he gets it.

Gilmore would appear to be the leader, then Barrett. Still 4 games left, wait and see, it should be close this year anyways. How much more would you expect Barrett to get for a new deal when compared to Dupree? The Smiths are what I have read, but if Shaq gets DPOY, that only raises his price in UFA. Not a bad idea signing a 1 year prove it deal.  Watt has 1 less FF but has 3 more FR  and PD. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Watt is actually the closest he has been to dpoy all season but he is now no longer on pace to beat the sack record, although he may still get it with the Jets and a Ravens team resting starters.

On a related note, Watt will likely break the record streak of offensive Steelers MVPs at 8 years in a row. Looking through the history of the reward since 1969, the offense has only ever won it 3 times in a row before this streak, and they've only done it twice.

The last two times a defensive player won the Steelers team MVP were in 2010 and 2008, both seasons where the player also won DPOY.

https://www.steelers.com/news/smith-schuster-named-steelers-2018-mvp

Watt doesnt need to break the sack record.   He is easily the best pass rusher we have had since prime James Harrison....maybe even on the same level.

Lets remember, Watt is still only 25 and in his 3rd season.    He is already IMO one of the best defensive players in the league.     He is pretty close to being on pace to what his brother did his first 3 years in the league.      Watt could draw 5 holding calls every game if refs didnt suck.       He could easily have 20 sacks by now, but whatever...he is a special player, and I cant wait to see what he can do going forward.   Lets just hope he avoids the injury bug his older brother caught.   

• Like 1