will Watt set a new team record

3rivers

I expect Dupree to have a good game this week, but he did get chip blocked a few times last week, so maybe the jets will do the same. I see Watt adding to his stats in this game, but wile break the record this season? It's going to be in the last game that we will find out.  It's been 11 years, but the record looks to fall.

People are saying Gilmore is the leader for the DPOY award, but these next 2 games could tip the votes depending on what happens

On 2019-12-16 at 1:06 PM, TXsteeler said:

The last two times a defensive player won the Steelers team MVP were in 2010 and 2008, both seasons where the player also won DPOY.

and both times went to the SB.  Maybe good defence isn't so bad after all o.O

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

It might be but the fact Gilmore came out and said "no question I'm the DPOY" I think that actually hurts his case.

who knows in this 'me' era how that will be perceived but he has a legit argument . I hope Watt wins it, and helps the steelers win the last 2 games   6 games B| Maybe get another type of MVP at the end of this run while he is at it;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you can argue Gilmore has been a better CB this year than Watt was a LB (which is a tough argument to make), Watt has a bigger all around impact and is a more complete player than Gilmore. Thats not bias...thats reality.

But since Gilmore plays for the Pats, he will get it.  Not saying he isnt deserving, but not more than Watt.

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

How to eliminate Gilmore: don’t throw at him. 

How to eliminate Watt: Pray real hard. 

In fairness, throwing away from a CB doesnt really "eliminate" them since they are still having a big effect on you game.

Dont get me wrong, I get what youre saying, and youre not really wrong, but if not throwing at a CB means taking away a top WR or shutting down one side of the field, thats a HUGE advantage for a defense.   

I feel like if the DPOY voters actually went through and watched every snap these players played, there is no way the DPOY wouldnt be Watt.    However, I fully expect it to go it Gilmore, for several reasons.    Again, he is deserving, but I dont believe he deserves it more than Watt.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In fairness, throwing away from a CB doesnt really "eliminate" them since they are still having a big effect on you game.

Dont get me wrong, I get what youre saying, and youre not really wrong, but if not throwing at a CB means taking away a top WR or shutting down one side of the field, thats a HUGE advantage for a defense.   

I am willingly going overboard and being too simplistic, but it speaks to my feelings on the impact of Gilmore in THAT defense vs ANY defense .... which is what I, personally, put stock in when it comes to the VP’s. 

My quick example is the Seattle game a few years back. Sherman did well on Brown...limiting him to 50 or so yards and a pick....but that’s cool, because we went for 300+ between Wheaton, Bryant, and Miller because we were willing to attack anybody else. 

His current team and current coach allow him to get tested. Not to take away from how tremendous of a player he is or his terrific year,  but to me the value of his position is based on the ability of his team. And when we are judging the player that’s most valuable to his defense I struggle to accept it can go to a position where you can just willingly not test so easily. 

TJ is making impact on runs away from him, when he is double (sometimes triple) teamed, with a chip, in the passing game, 10 yards down the field...you can not eliminate him. 

I think TJ is going to lose because people are gonna look at Minkah too, but I just can’t give a value based award to a position that I thinks value is dictated by the other 10 guys on the field. 

And I absolutely agree with your last statement about watching every play. TJ is just dominant more times throughout a game.