Mitchell Trubisky's last few games

ChicagoRaider14

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I would love an improbable playoff run, but about a month ago a situation like that was my nightmare scenario, at least for Mitch.  How to evaluate a QB who can occasionally play well sometimes intermittently. 

If that would be the case, I think the HOW would be more important than the results. We'd need to see consistenly good pre and post snap eye work, footwork and accuracy.  

No matter the case, I think you're QB room is different next season: Bray is bad without potential, and Daniels role as bench coach hasn't really netted any results. I would absolutely bring in one cheap veteran and either a late pick or practice squad poach. At least get someone cheaper/better than Daniel, as well as someone who could grow into a #2 role.  One of the Pace-isms I was most excited about was the "acquire a QB every year" thought we had QB1 locked up so it would be great to develop guys behind him and get either a good backup, trade bait or a surprise star. 

If you want to start torturing yourself about the playoffs: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I'm not there yet, but sure did enjoy watching the Lions lose.

I agree, the QB room needs to be improved.

It's not just the fact that he's played bad defenses over the past couple weeks. The Rams defense isn't awful, despite the stats I thought Mitch's play improved from the start of the season.

I throw out stats before I watch the game on an All 22, because stats really do not matter since a variety of things can effect the stats.

At the beginning of the season, Mitch looked lost in translation. He was holding the ball way too long, taking sacks (Green Bay game 4 of the sacks were on him) and making the wrong reads.

His wrong reads started to decease from the Philly week to now. He was still making poor throws, because he was mentally rushing himself.

Teams have not played zone against the Bears, because teams have not seen Mitch throw guys open on tape. The INT in the Detriot game was a prime example as to why teams have played man.

Throwing in a zone requires less accuracy than throwing in man, if the throw is timed right.

Since Mitch's accuracy has been not been terrible the last 3 weeks, I believe we will see Dallas in zone coverage.

Edited by ChicagoRaider14
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChicagoRaider14 said:

I agree, the QB room needs to be improved.

It's not just the fact that he's played bad defenses over the past couple weeks. The Rams defense isn't awful, despite the stats I thought Mitch's play improved from the start of the season.

I throw out stats before I watch the game on an All 22, because stats really do not matter since a variety of things can effect the stats.

At the beginning of the season, Mitch looked lost in translation. He was holding the ball way too long, taking sacks (Green Bay game 4 of the sacks were on him) and making the wrong reads.

His wrong reads started to decease from the Philly week to now. He was still making poor throws, because he was mentally rushing himself.

Teams have not played zone against the Bears, because teams have not seen Mitch throw guys open on tape. The INT in the Detriot game was a prime example as to way teams have played man.

Throwing in a zone requires less accuracy than throwing in man, if the throw is timed right.

Since Mitch's accuracy has been not been terrible the last 3 weeks, I believe we will see Dallas in zone coverage.

Agreed!

• Like 1

Mitch is fine in games with positive game flow (within a score and incorporate ground game). I haven’t seen enough to think he’s a long term answer that can win a shootout and bring a team back from 2 scores.

With that said, all things considered (contract/cap, lack of draft capital) he’s probably the best option for the team in 2020. Without trading more future 1s a legit option isn’t falling in the draft. 30 year old Cam isn’t much better than Mitch and will cost 20m. Winston would be sexy Rexy 2.0 (4 great games 8 bad). Maybe Tannehill but after this year Ten isn’t letting him go.

Mitch is not Pat Mahomes. He is not a pure pocket passer.

Mitch is closer to Josh Allen, Early Russell Wilson, Cam Newton. He needs to run he needs to play a little wild and outside the pocket.

Mitch is not going to be a dressage horse.

Mitch is a wild stallion, you have to let him be wild even when there are some mistakes.

I've got to be honest, Trubisky is playing better than I thought he was capable of playing. Last night I'm not sure if it was all him or if the Cowboys have just completely quit on Garrett.

He's keeping his eyes up when the pass rush is coming, something he was not doing earlier, and he's finding an exit and making plays with his legs rather than throwing into traffic. BTW, he still does too much of throwing into traffic and his accuracy, while improving, still needs work. 

I think he could be a poor man's Carson Wentz/Jared Goff. That caliber of QB where he ranks just below them in the QB hierarchy. I still don't see a guy with the makings of being an upper echelon guy though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not know what is going on

1. Were the early struggles a necessary and painful learning curve that is finally paying off? How did the early struggles help him? Unless Nagy demanded he play in the pocket which helped him eventually see the field better. I doubt he would do that since it won't help him win games. 

2. Has Nagy scrapped most of 202 and is now running what Mitch runs well?  I think he's calling the same plays but the players are executing. The miller screen to TD was all excellent blocking. The backup TEs are really helping the offense and the OL had it's best run blocking game of the year. Leno in particular had his best game. I think it shows the importance of the basics. We really need to invest in a RT/LT in the draft along with another guard.

3. Is it both?

55 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

When you learn anything there are struggles. That is how you learn, they are unavoidable and maybe that was the beginning of the season.

The first time you walk into a calculus class you do not get 100% and get to teach the course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

When you learn anything there are struggles. That is how you learn, they are unavoidable and maybe that was the beginning of the season.

The first time you walk into a calculus class you do not get 100% and get to teach the course.

"Experience is the teacher of all things." - Gaius Julius Caesar IV, Dictator of the Roman Republic

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not know what is going on

1. Were the early struggles a necessary and painful learning curve that is finally paying off? Yes, because Mitch had to learn to become a better pocket passer. NFL QBs win games from inside of the pocket. He needed to understand the timing of the NFL game from the pocket. Also, he had to learn the speed of the game, because our scheme is heavily predicated on timing routes. Pace and Nagy both wanted him to adapt into more of a pocket QB in order to prevent teams from loading our box. The plan back fired, because they did not realize how much development Mitch really needed.

2. Has Nagy scrapped most of 202 and is now running what Mitch runs well? No, he has just reincorporated things from 101 that we ran well as a team. It ranged from passing concepts, pass blocking schemes, the design of run plays, and run blocking schemes. We used the QB running plays yesterday to throw the Cowboys off guard and force the Packers to prepare for the read option next week.

3. Is it both? I would say that it's mostly the first one, because the lightbulb finally turned on in his head. It happened in the 4th Quarter of the Eagles game. He's been playing at this level for 5 games, the rest of our team finally caught up with him.

Mitch still has a substantial amount of work to do as a pocket passer. His lower body mechanics can still use a lot of work. His ability to read a defense can use improvement as well.

Edited by ChicagoRaider14
  • Like 1