Coaching staff over haul

coachbuns

After last night's 49er's game as the final straw, do the Packers need to over haul their position coaching staff?  Special teams, offensive line, wide receiver, secondary ...  all have shown glaring problems game after game with no improvement in sight.   Is it 1st year jitters, not having a coaching clue or are our players that bad?    

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The team is still 8-3. The position coaches are going to stay and be fine. This is way too drastic.

Hey I totally agree but there are those on this forum that think the packers suck with no help in sight so I thought I'd put it out there!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

After last night's 49er's game as the final straw, do the Packers need to over haul their position coaching staff?  Special teams, offensive line, wide receiver, secondary ...  all have shown glaring problems game after game with no improvement in sight.   Is it 1st year jitters, not having a coaching clue or are our players that bad?    

tenor.gif?itemid=5410496

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The team is still 8-3. The position coaches are going to stay and be fine. This is way too drastic.

I mean Mennenga has to go. It would be malpractice to keep him at this point. In some categories, we're on pace to have worst ST unit in NFL history. Otherwise, the positional coaches are the least of our worries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean Mennenga has to go. It would be malpractice to keep him at this point. In some categories, we're on pace to have worst ST unit in NFL history. Otherwise, the positional coaches are the least of our worries. 

Agreed with that. Also think Gute needs to answer for part of it for getting rid of the only plus ST guy on the roster

Menenga has to go for sure and I'm leaning heavily towards Pettine going as well. That defensive scheme is just too soft and with the impending dismissals of both Gus Bradley and Ron Rivera, we should strike while the iron is hot on this one. The Smiths are having to do too much of the work and while I understand Gary is on a snap count because he's developing, the fact of the matter is that he's both big enough and strong enough to slide in and play the 3-tech until the draft.

We have the talent on the offensive side of the ball sparing a back up RT(Light and Turner should switch places). I think 1st year jitters are a part of it, but it's more like an adjustment process, not a situation in which guys aren't buying into the offense; or at least we haven't heard that as an issue. 

Speaking honestly, what's the ground-floor criteria you demand from this team in order to justify retaining any of the staff?

How long are you willing to wait for a specific unit or sub-unit to noticeably improve? Is it longer than a single season? Are you just looking for a magic pill that'll make some players incredibly better than what they are? Even if you switch out Pettine for a DC that attacks, will you demand the newcomers head if the defense still remains full of holes and the players are what they've been under Pettine? Will you demand his head mid-season if the team's D isn't top 10- or for some people on this board- top 5?

Will replacing a ST Coach mean a [BLEEP]ing thing without finding the next Devin Hester in the draft or FA at the same time?

I get the impression you guys could lay out a power ranking of desirable coaches Ten Deep at every staff position... and you could go through that list like a buzzsaw in a ten-year period.

The Packers front office did not want to pay for coveted, high-priced STs coach Darren Rizzi after last season because they were still paying McCarthy and his merry band of coaching misfits many millions of dollars to sit home this season.

With all the cash being doled out to McCarthy's staff (hopefully) off the books in 2020, perhaps a move away from Mennenga after just one year is not that far-fetched.