Coaching staff over haul

coachbuns

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would have thought Pettine would be appealing to LaFleur, but after watching this defense the past two months I could see a scenario where LaFleur would want to go in a different direction.  The defense has under performed for a while now.

I guess. Think most of our defenses problems get solved by improving our offenses third down performance.

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I guess. Think most of our defenses problems get solved by improving our offenses third down performance.

Some of it is due to that for sure.  Offense has hung them out in a few games.  Pettine sure can't use an injury excuse this year .. can't blame it on a lack of pass rush either..  Gute gave the guy a couple good pass rushers and a solid safety in free agency.  He added another starting safety in round one for him as well.  The bottom line is that this unit should be much better than it is.  I don't like Pettine's death by a 1,000 cuts philosophy either.  The defense isn't aggressive enough, and it seems like there are far too many mental breakdowns as well.  I expected better this season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would have thought Pettine would be appealing to LaFleur, but after watching this defense the past two months I could see a scenario where LaFleur would want to go in a different direction.  The defense has under performed for a while now.

So has MLF's offense...   :/

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

So has MLF's offense...   :/

Yeah, offense has been up and down.  However, the resources put into the defense the past 2 years through draft and free agency is so much greater.  It's also the same concept for the defense and it just hasn't panned out to well.  They started out fine but last 4-5 games has been basically bad bordering on terrible.  Granted, offense scoring more points would enable this bend but don't break offense to work better but it's so frickin painful to watch.  If defense is going to get burned by the run, big plays, no coverage over the middle;  blitz/pressure every play and see if anything changes for the better.  

On 11/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, Joe said:

Menenga has to go for sure and I'm leaning heavily towards Pettine going as well. That defensive scheme is just too soft and with the impending dismissals of both Gus Bradley and Ron Rivera, we should strike while the iron is hot on this one. The Smiths are having to do too much of the work and while I understand Gary is on a snap count because he's developing, the fact of the matter is that he's both big enough and strong enough to slide in and play the 3-tech until the draft.

We have the talent on the offensive side of the ball sparing a back up RT(Light and Turner should switch places). I think 1st year jitters are a part of it, but it's more like an adjustment process, not a situation in which guys aren't buying into the offense; or at least we haven't heard that as an issue. 

Special teams is the most disgusting unit I've seen in all my years of watching a NFL team. Seriously does this unit even practice or attempt to gain yardage on a return? If you are given 5 yards on a punt return you better dam well take it and try and get 6, 7 yards. I can't say I'd fire Pettine at this point and time or after the season, but if you have a stud coach such as Ron Rivera looking to become a coordinator again, I wouldn't be heart broken if Pettine was released. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 3:31 PM, Scoremore said:

Don't blame the coach.  We don't have a viable returner on the roster.  It's pathetic.  Can't make chicken salad out of chicken sheet.

Ack, it's not just the returns, our unit in general is pathetic. And our punter for whatever reason has had a few bad weeks all of a sudden. I saw the other teams gunner last week get double teamed and he easily beat our two guys and made the tackle down field, and it was more the fact our guys looked clueless in how to block, not the fact that Jarrett Bush Jr. was the gunner. He has to go, please let's not even debate this one.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:18 AM, pacman5252 said:

We are 8-3. A few people will get replaced. Heads aren’t going to roll though.

With that said, I do think Gute deserves more blame for weaknesses this year, in particular for our STs. Part of our issue is roster construction at the bottom. This is the first year I can remember that we don’t have any pure core special teamers (like a Jarret Bush, Janis). Maybe it is purely lack of development, but it could be just a lack of keeping those type of guys. Look at our bottom 2-3 corners/wrs. We have valued guys who are development guys or guys who can play O/D snaps now like Kumerow, Lazard, J Jackson, Holman, Sullivan, Brown, over that pure special team gunner this year. Literally there is zero reason why Ryan Grant (wr) has a roster spot right now. Throw in we have 4 tes which none are plus STers. We don’t have that 5th ilb ster. 

Plus returner for KC, T Smith didn’t just get slow. 

Wasn't MVS suppose to be a special teams stud at South Florida? I thought I read he was a gunner, punt blocker, do it all type that hopefully would translate to the NFL.

14 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Some of it is due to that for sure.  Offense has hung them out in a few games.  Pettine sure can't use an injury excuse this year .. can't blame it on a lack of pass rush either..  Gute gave the guy a couple good pass rushers and a solid safety in free agency.  He added another starting safety in round one for him as well.  The bottom line is that this unit should be much better than it is.  I don't like Pettine's death by a 1,000 cuts philosophy either.  The defense isn't aggressive enough, and it seems like there are far too many mental breakdowns as well.  I expected better this season.

Why have we been playing so much zone lately?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skippy said:

Special teams is the most disgusting unit I've seen in all my years of watching a NFL team. Seriously does this unit even practice or attempt to gain yardage on a return? If you are given 5 yards on a punt return you better dam well take it and try and get 6, 7 yards. I can't say I'd fire Pettine at this point and time or after the season, but if you have a stud coach such as Ron Rivera looking to become a coordinator again, I wouldn't be heart broken if Pettine was released. 

Dan Quinn is another that'll be looking for work but I'd take Rivera at this point. He'd push hard for a strong front-7 and our secondary would shine as a result. 

I've been asking myself that question too. Hate it, hate it, hate it...#weaksauce

Wasn't MVS suppose to be a special teams stud at South Florida? I thought I read he was a gunner, punt blocker, do it all type that hopefully would translate to the NFL.

If we improve our WR corps perhaps MVS will eventually become our ST stud.

The draft resources have gone to the defense. 

The salary resources have gone to the offense. This is the most expensive offense in the NFL at $108,323,637. The second most expensive offense is 5 million less expensive at $103,582,678

If this offense doesn't have enough resources to be successful, we have way more toxic assets than the rest of the league, and right now the only real toxic asset we have is Graham, and even is healthy and semi-productive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The draft resources have gone to the defense. 

The salary resources have gone to the offense. This is the most expensive offense in the NFL at $108,323,637. The second most expensive offense is 5 million less expensive at $103,582,678

If this offense doesn't have enough resources to be successful, we have way more toxic assets than the rest of the league, and right now the only real toxic asset we have is Graham, and even is healthy and semi-productive.

The core group on Defense only has a few players not on rookie contracts

Clark, Adams, Lancaster

Martinez, Fackrell, Gary, Burks

King, Alexander, Savage, Brown, Redmon, Sullivan (not sure what Campbell is)

2nd contract players on D

Lowry

P Smith, Z Smith

Williams, Amos

and Williams is probably gone after this year unless we deal Josh Jackson somewhere. This is the year where we invest in the IDL and OT. We've already made draft investments at RB, DB, WR, EDGE, and ST's(P/LS) and we've made monetary investments at EDGE. It's now time to get that bigger piece along the IDL, shore up the right side of the OL, and find a good slot receiver.

I think we can all agree that Menenga needs to be gone and probably Pettine given his passive coverage schemes.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:50 AM, Skippy said:

I think it's because our corners have been scorched since the second half of the Dallas game.  Both King and Alexander have given up several big plays in man coverage.  It's time for Alexander to step it up .. expected a lot more from him this season.  King keeps mixing good plays with bad plays, but at least he's making an impact of late. 

On 2019-12-02 at 2:40 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it's because our corners have been scorched since the second half of the Dallas game.  Both King and Alexander have given up several big plays in man coverage.  It's time for Alexander to step it up .. expected a lot more from him this season.  King keeps mixing good plays with bad plays, but at least he's making an impact of late. 

Alexander i think just had the one big play really. He's usually right there and doesn't get allot of throws his way. King yes, torch city.