Coaching staff over haul

coachbuns

On 11/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, Skippy said:

Special teams is the most disgusting unit I've seen in all my years of watching a NFL team. Seriously does this unit even practice or attempt to gain yardage on a return? If you are given 5 yards on a punt return you better dam well take it and try and get 6, 7 yards. I can't say I'd fire Pettine at this point and time or after the season, but if you have a stud coach such as Ron Rivera looking to become a coordinator again, I wouldn't be heart broken if Pettine was released. 

This might sound counterintuitive but our special teams in general have actually been okay. DVOA we are 15th. Coverage teams have been solid. Few teams are breaking kick returns now (6tds in the league this year).

Our punt return team has all time bad stats but only 1 TO, and really we are only leaving like 5 yards a returnable punt on the table. Considering most teams have 20 returns that’s maybe 10 yards a game. It matters but really the fair catch everything and not have a 5% chance at turning it over isnt a bad strategy.

51 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

This might sound counterintuitive but our special teams in general have actually been okay. DVOA we are 15th. Coverage teams have been solid. Few teams are breaking kick returns now (6tds in the league this year).

Our punt return team has all time bad stats but only 1 TO, and really we are only leaving like 5 yards a returnable punt on the table. Considering most teams have 20 returns that’s maybe 10 yards a game. It matters but really the fair catch everything and not have a 5% chance at turning it over isnt a bad strategy.

I agree.  I don't think the correlation with top teams in punt return average and points per game is  very strong.  

Gawd, this whole thread is such a futile exercise.  We're beating expectations and someone starts a thread like this?

Paralysis by analysis.  We're 9-3 despite having one of the worst special teams in the league.  Better enjoy it while it lasts.

IF Rodgers starts using his RBs in the passing game again and JK Scott returns to earlier form--we got a shot.  That's really all you can hope for with a first year coaching staff.

• Like 1