Let's talk about Corey Davis

deeluxx3

He's turning into the Derrick Morgan of offense. First round pick that's giving us 5th round production. 

Downfield blocking is great! But this guy just disappears in games and doesn't make any sort of consistent impact. Is it him? Is it the team? AJ looks like he will become the #1 WR on this team (if we decide to ever allow a WR to be a #1 guy). Corey barely looks like a #3.

Adoree Jackson was our best 1st round pick from 2017. That much is certain. 

• Like 1

We don’t have an offense built for WR production so I don’t put that on him. He’s basically just asked to block for Henry while we only even try to throw it his way like 4 times a game. He does what we ask of him pretty much perfectly. There’s no doubt in my mind he would be a 80/1000/7 type of WR on an offense that utilizes him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

He's turning into the Derrick Morgan of offense. First round pick that's giving us 5th round production. 

Downfield blocking is great! But this guy just disappears in games and doesn't make any sort of consistent impact. Is it him? Is it the team? AJ looks like he will become the #1 WR on this team (if we decide to ever allow a WR to be a #1 guy). Corey barely looks like a #3.

Adoree Jackson was our best 1st round pick from 2017. That much is certain. 

After being on #teamWilliams that draft, I thought CD would do good... even drafted him in my only AAT draft last year.  And he looked like he was breaking out last year.  But I think it's time to stop making excuses... the offense, the QB, etc.  Matthews, a far inferior "talent" put up better stats in essentially the same offense with essentially the same QB.  This year, Brown is showing that a wr can be successful in this offense.  As a rookie, he's on pace for 850 yards and 6 TDs... numbers on par/better than Davis' best season so far.  We have to decide in May if we'll be picking up his option, and nothing tells me they'll be doing that.  There were no top wr's drafted in the top 10 last year, but the 10-32 option # for WRs was $10.1M... I think Corey's would be ~$13-15M.  At this point, I don't think he's worth that.  That's back to back top 10 picks who's options we don't pick up... But Adoree's option will probably be picked up... he's been much better since he's been taken off STs... he still has his boneheaded moments, and games he gets absolutely torched, but they are fewer and further in between... and he's been really solid this season.  His 2021 option should be around ~$11M.  With that foresight, I've always thought Butler's last year would be 2020, and while he's been more than solid this year (the past 16+ actually), it's hard to keep that many high priced players in the secondary.  Ryan to me is still a priority... even if he plays the slot position, which is valued slightly less than the outside corner spot...

As far as Adoree being our best pick from 2017, me and Corey Levin take offense to that!  Lol, jk... although I would put Jayon a close 2nd (and actually had him in top prior to this season).  Jonnu's making a run as the 3rd best pick from the class... CD may still redeem himself yet, but he's fading a bit the past few weeks.  

• Like 1

I think Corey is a fine No. 2 receiver, the obvious problem being that you don’t spend top five picks on fine No. 2 receivers. He’s a good fit for this offense, but I fear that his draft position will make his second contract far bigger than what he deserves for what he is.

He’s just not a special talent, and in an offense that doesn’t exactly lend itself to consistent WR production, he’s never going to put up big numbers.

31 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I would also like to add that Davis had the defense beat and was wide open for like a 70 yard bomb that Tannehill overthrew him on. This thread wouldn’t even exist if he connected.

Oh so Corey could have 31 catches for 473 yards and 3 TDs this year? 

pay the man

Adoree definitely needs to get paid before Corey. Not saying that Davis is a bad player by any means, just not someone that will put up #1 numbers, which is fine, but not really worth committing big money to in the long term. I'd rather draft another WR this year, in a pretty loaded class, and let Davis play out the final year of his rookie contract before letting him hit the market.

• Like 1

I have some concerns that Mariota will blossom into a good QB on a different team.

Although I have no stats to back it up, those concerns are multiplied by 10 for Corey Davis.  He has the talent and temperament to succeed on a team with an offense resembling something in the 21st century.

• Like 3

I’ve I said time & time again, Corey isn’t a bust but he dayum sure hasn’t lived up to being a #5 pick. But look at the facts why. Inconsistent QB play, last yr he was the only weapon Mariota had, Matthews quit, Delanie was hurt. Fast forward this year tell me when have we dialed up a efficient passing game, when have we as a team attacked an opponent’s weaknesses in the secondary, hell for crying out loud we just starting using Humphrey as a slot WR, when at 1st we were paying him 9 mill to block. Brown is nice & yes he is producing but mostly he facing the team 2nd corner or we scheme him open. Corey has shown he can beat any corner you put on him & if you put him in the game plan. As of now the guy just has no ego & so what’s asked of him to help the team win. You put him on the Steelers pats or any high volume passing teams his #’s will be up there. 
oh the only reason Matthews has production in our offense cause he pretty much played in the slot. Mariota strengths is throwing in the middle of the field, Corey plays outside we don’t even move Corey around & try to get him the ball 🤷🏽‍♂️ 🗣 coaching staff doesn’t have a brain 

6 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I have some concerns that Mariota will blossom into a good QB on a different team.

Although I have no stats to back it up, those concerns are multiplied by 10 for Corey Davis.  He has the talent and temperament to succeed on a team with an offense resembling something in the 21st century.

Facts you got to look at everything from a whole, just how our OL are sometimes bad in pass pro is because bunch formations & route concepts. 

27 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Oh so Corey could have 31 catches for 473 yards and 3 TDs this year? 

pay the man

Yeah, with bad QB play for half the year in an offense that’s not built for WR’s.

Is Humphries all of a sudden not the player he was in Tampa because he’s on pace to get 40 less targets, 24 less receptions, and 291 less yards than he did last year? After all, he’s on pace to have the worst season of his career since his sophomore season.

The answer is no. WR is the most dependent position in the NFL. You can’t just look at yards and catches and assume a WR isn’t playing well. Look at the other factors.

46 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah, with bad QB play for half the year in an offense that’s not built for WR’s.

Is Humphries all of a sudden not the player he was in Tampa because he’s on pace to get 40 less targets, 24 less receptions, and 291 less yards than he did last year? After all, he’s on pace to have the worst season of his career since his sophomore season.

The answer is no. WR is the most dependent position in the NFL. You can’t just look at yards and catches and assume a WR isn’t playing well. Look at the other factors.

Someone that gets it speak brother 👍🏽

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanrick said:

I feel the same.

Like, if he were on Philly with Wentz for example, I think he'd be 1000+ receiving yards/7 TDs guy.