Let's talk about Corey Davis

deeluxx3

20 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

How many passing attempts have we had each game this year?

Dead last at 27.9 attempts per game. It's even lower since Tannehill became the starter as he's only averaging 26.7 attempts per game.

I do think it's clear at this point that AJ Brown is our #1 WR. And while Davis numbers as a "#2 WR" isn't great compared to the other "#2 WRs" around the league, I think he's an ideal fit for this team. 

As pointed out, his blocking and unselfishness is extremely valuable specifically on this team (how many of our TDs, especially the long ones, involve him blocking his man downfield.). He's a jack of all trades, master of none WR, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the biggest issue is he was picked at #5 instead being a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah. Some guys get 30 targets in two-three weeks.

Corey has that over 13 games. 

For a bit of prospective, AJ Brown is our leader in targets at 61, good enough to be ranked 71 in the league. Right between Hunter Henry and Dalvin Cook. Davis is ranked 92 with 54 targets, between Jared Cook and Devonta Freeman.

So pretty much our WRs get the same amount of targets as RBs and 2nd tier tight ends.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

For a bit of prospective, AJ Brown is our leader in targets at 61, good enough to be ranked 71 in the league. Right between Hunter Henry and Dalvin Cook. Davis is ranked 92 with 54 targets, between Jared Cook and Devonta Freeman.

So pretty much our WRs get the same amount of targets as RBs and 2nd tier tight ends.

At the same time though, since RT took over, the disparity is even greater... AJ has had 38 targets, 25 recs, 506 yards, and 4 TDs.  Corey has put up 27/17/223/1, albeit in 1 less game.  

Even more damming is the production since the bye... AJ is at 16/12/333/3 while Corey's at 9/5/86/0... Out of the 2, Corey's getting 36% of the targets, 29% of the receptions, 20% of the yards, and 0% of the TDs.  It's a small sample size, but over 16 games, that would put them at 85/64/1775/16 and 48/27/460/0.  So the Mariota excuse at the very least, should be dismissed.

AJ has clearly surpassed him as the #1.  And it's telling that with Humphries out last week, his production didn't spike... and he ended up with the same looks as Tajae and Jonnu.

I know we've put up countless excuses up for him... and he's flashed from time to time, especially last season... but its time for him to start changing games again... and time he forces RT to go to him.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

At the same time though, since RT took over, the disparity is even greater... AJ has had 38 targets, 25 recs, 506 yards, and 4 TDs.  Corey has put up 27/17/223/1, albeit in 1 less game.  

Even more damming is the production since the bye... AJ is at 16/12/333/3 while Corey's at 9/5/86/0... Out of the 2, Corey's getting 36% of the targets, 29% of the receptions, 20% of the yards, and 0% of the TDs.  It's a small sample size, but over 16 games, that would put them at 85/64/1775/16 and 48/27/460/0.  So the Mariota excuse at the very least, should be dismissed.

AJ has clearly surpassed him as the #1.  And it's telling that with Humphries out last week, his production didn't spike... and he ended up with the same looks as Tajae and Jonnu.

I know we've put up countless excuses up for him... and he's flashed from time to time, especially last season... but its time for him to start changing games again... and time he forces RT to go to him.  

I understand that but keep in mind AJ takes advantage of playing the opposing teams 2nd or 3rd best corner. AJ is balling & im loving it, & as I’ve said before Corey will never live up to being a top 5 pick but put him with a good QB & high volume passing offense the guy can easily get a 1000 yards a year. He can only do what’s ask of him. As for the Mariota comment most of us were saying that Davis couldn’t put up #s with inconsistent QB play, though Tannehill is balling our offense still doesn’t target WR’s a lot, hell we pretty much wasted 9 mill on a slot WR this yr.

10 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I understand that but keep in mind AJ takes advantage of playing the opposing teams 2nd or 3rd best corner. AJ is balling & im loving it, & as I’ve said before Corey will never live up to being a top 5 pick but put him with a good QB & high volume passing offense the guy can easily get a 1000 yards a year. He can only do what’s ask of him. As for the Mariota comment most of us were saying that Davis couldn’t put up #s with inconsistent QB play, though Tannehill is balling our offense still doesn’t target WR’s a lot, hell we pretty much wasted 9 mill on a slot WR this yr.

HE showed last year... against Gilmore... that it doesn't matter who covers him... and that was with a dead armed Mariota.  Yet this year we gets this?  He's regressed... and especially so down the stretch.  If he was doing his job and getting open, I'm confident RT would be finding him and hitting him.  9 targets in the last 3 games... 86 yards... I mean, come on. 

I'm not going to lie and pretend to know how often Davis and AJ line up on who... but what shut down corner has been lined up on CD that he only gets 86 yards the past 3 weeks while AJ puts up 333?

Davis has been less featured ever since he returned from injury. It also happens that our play-action percentages have sky rocketed during that exact same time frame. AJ Brown is just better suited to what we're doing on offense right now. He has the size and athletic traits of a RB and these play-action plays are creating a ton of separation and room for him to do something after the catch. AJ Brown will always be better than him at this. He may be better at other things as well, but this is something he's better than most at.

We aren't really doing a lot as a drop-back and pass team right now, which is where I think Davis could compete against Brown in targets, but if you want any one of our WRs to be getting the ball on one of these PA crossers with room to run, it's AJ Brown. Davis isn't even bad in that category, it's just that Brown is insane. We honestly have a lot of guys that are huge threats for YAC, with Jonnu Smith being an insanely good player with the ball in his hands as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

some plays in here I agree with, some I don't

In any case, I think it's clear that Corey isn't getting his number called. Plays aren't being dialed up to get him the ball like they are for AJ. I know AJ is a much more dangerous player,  but it's not like Corey is just a schmuck player.

I know our offense isn't going to force-feed WRs (which is fine, but we still should look to get them the ball more often), but even Decker had a more productive year in Robiskie's crap O with a mediocre Mariota than Davis is having right now.

something just isn't adding up to me

Do you guys think Davis gets traded this Upcoming offseason?  I can’t see Tennessee tendering his 5th year option, which would be around 15-16mil.

Davis will have a 2020 cap hit of 8.3Mil and potential savings of 3.9Mil if traded.  On a team that has some important UFAs to resign and limited money that extra money could be helpful.

if so what’s the asking price / what would be be traded for?

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Do you guys think Davis gets traded this Upcoming offseason?  I can’t see Tennessee tendering his 5th year option, which would be around 15-16mil.

Davis will have a 2020 cap hit of 8.3Mil and potential savings of 3.9Mil if traded.  On a team that has some important UFAs to resign and limited money that extra money could be helpful.

if so what’s the asking price / what would be be traded for?

I don't think so.

He hasn't produced like a #5 pick but has produced. And given the optimism that the offense will have going into next season, I can't see why they would. 

Him and AJ Brown are a great duo.