Week 13: VIKINGS (8-3) at Seahawks (9-2)

swede700

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If firing Zimmer meant a super bowl I'd be all for it. I don't think it would though

Being from DC and a fan of the Caps and Nats. Those two teams are were basically the Vikings of the NHL/MLB. I believe Vikings can have the stars align and turn the corner also.   

Some notes from watching the game:

Eric Wilson definitely struggled. He couldn't get off blocks, set the edge, had some difficulties in coverage ( I want to say it was him who gave up the Penny TD reception) and just looked lost. He has a lot of physical ability, but nowhere near the mental acuity that Gedeon has for the game

The defense overall just struggled. Griffen and Hunter were getting some push but the DTs were just overmatched. I like Watts but he's not a starter just yet. We consistently got beat at the LOS defensively. 

I don't blame Rhodes or Smith much for the miscommunication on the Moore touchdown reception. These things happen. I just don't think Rhodes is all that good anymore. Hughes plays soft.

I like that we used Cook and Mattison a lot in the passing game. They can break the game loose with some space. Very impressed by both.

We need Thielen back. He makes the offense better and takes away coverage from Diggs, Rudolph and Smith. Also, Laquon Treadwell will NEVER get that wide open again. Never.

Cousins was fine. He took what the defense gave him.

CJ Ham....dude. C'mon. Same to you Bailey.

All in all, we could've done better, could've done worse. 8-4 is fine, but we need to bounce back. Time to skin these Lions and put our Vikings in the finest fur coats. Skol!

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, swede700 said:

Zimmer may not be perfect, but he's still the best head coach they've had since Denny.  

I liked Denny, but I think it could be argued that Mike Zimmer is the best head coach we've had since Bud.  Our defense was always a liability during the Denny Green years.  Under Zim, we have at least achieved balance on both sides of the ball.  He has also had to find a way to reinvent the offense with FIVE different quarterbacks in his six years here.  When he got here, he had the services of Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder.  Under his leadership, he drafted Teddy Bridgewater.  If Teddy had stayed healthy, the story of the last 5 years might be very different. 

As far as the offense in general, some may argue that Zim doesn't have much of an interest in the offensive side of the ball, but you have to give him credit for bringing in OC's who have gotten the job done in three of the six years.  How many teams in the league would be able to thrive to the level we have while having to constantly change QB's like that?  I give Coach Zimmer a ton of credit for that.

At this point, I think our coach said it best at the press conference after Monday Night's game.  To paraphrase, people are acting like the season is over.  We are in a good position at 8-4 with four very winnable games left in the regular season.  A 12-4 record is very attainable.  Would it have been nice to beat Seattle?  Of course, but give us a healthy Adam Thielen and I still believe this team can beat ANYONE, even on the road.

• Like 3

That's a fair argument to make @Uncle Buck and it is reasonable that a person could believe that Zim is better than Denny.  I think it's very close between the 2, but at this point, it can't be denied that Denny got his teams to the playoffs far more frequently...didn't have much success, but he got them there...and that's truly the difference.  If Zim can somehow even manage to get them to another NFCC (if not the Super Bowl), then I might give the edge to him.  But what can't be argued is that he's the best head coach they've had since Denny.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's a fair argument to make @Uncle Buck and it is reasonable that a person could believe that Zim is better than Denny.  I think it's very close between the 2, but at this point, it can't be denied that Denny got his teams to the playoffs far more frequently...didn't have much success, but he got them there...and that's truly the difference.  If Zim can somehow even manage to get them to another NFCC (if not the Super Bowl), then I might give the edge to him.  But what can't be argued is that he's the best head coach they've had since Denny.  

Zimmer has to deal with QB's being babies though. We hit Rodgers once and they invented a new rule against it.

• Like 1

We've only had 9 head coaches in nearly 60 years.

Van Brocklin had to deal with getting a franchise up and running.  I look at Steckel, Burns, Tice, and Frazier as coordinators filling in for the fired/retired head coach.  Ownership didn't really do a full coaching search for them.  They just didn't want to rock the longboat or open up the wallet to get a real coach.

So that really leaves Grant (home run), Green (hit), Childress (bunt), and Zimmer (still at the plate fouling off the pitches) that the ownership went to the full pool of available coaches.  Not much of a stretch to say Zimmer is the best coach since Green.

Zimmer has had a carousel at QB.  But so did Denny.  (Gannon, Wilson, Salisbury, McMahon, Moon, Johnson, Cunningham, George, Culpepper).  I would put them at 2a and 2b in the ranking of MN head coaches.  But we will see what Zimmer accomplishes yet.

• Like 1

Another winning streak came to an end on Monday night with the loss to the Seattle Seahawks.  That means it's time to change up my signature pic once again to regain our mojo.  We rode Jessica Alba (figuratively speaking, of course) for wins over the Cowboys and the Broncos.  Unfortunately, she wasn't able to carry us to victory in Seattle.

After losing in Seattle, we are now underdogs when it comes to getting to the top of the world with a Super Bowl win.  With this in mind, I thought, who better to help us go from rags to riches and reach the big time than The King, himself, Mr. Elvis Presley?  The greatest rock and roller who ever lived should get us going in the right direction!

57 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Another winning streak came to an end on Monday night with the loss to the Seattle Seahawks.  That means it's time to change up my signature pic once again to regain our mojo.  We rode Jessica Alba (figuratively speaking, of course) for wins over the Cowboys and the Broncos.  Unfortunately, she wasn't able to carry us to victory in Seattle.

After losing in Seattle, we are now underdogs when it comes to getting to the top of the world with a Super Bowl win.  With this in mind, I thought, who better to help us go from rags to riches and reach the big time than The King, himself, Mr. Elvis Presley?  The greatest rock and roller who ever lived should get us going in the right direction!

Have you not listened to Taylor Swift?

37 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Have you not listened to Taylor Swift?

Uncle Buck's signature pic of Taylor Swift kind of gets lost in his ocean of nubile blondes.  Black haired male Elvis must have leapt off the screen when he was looking to change up his signature pic.  That's my guess.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, since72 said:

Uncle Buck's signature pic of Taylor Swift kind of gets lost in his ocean of nubile blondes.  Black haired male Elvis must have leapt off the screen when he was looking to change up his signature pic.  That's my guess.

If the truth be known, it's more because I don't make signatures anymore and I was running out of good ones to use.  :) 

Taylor Swift would be a good one to use if I had one.