Week 13: VIKINGS (8-3) at Seahawks (9-2)

swede700

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Vikings pass defense was ranked 16th before this week (DVOA)....it's been a concern for quite sometime, the interior pass rush ranks dead last in league in pressures generated.

I think it is fixed by getting Rhodes out of there and playing Kearse more. I have to re-watch the game, but I’m curious if Kearse played much. I’d like to think he should’ve been in the game a lot given the physical need of matching up against a punishing run game. The other thing I didn’t love was seeing Wilson in there. I like him, but I think we need a thumper to shed against heavy sets. Unfortunately we don’t really have one and for whatever reason Harrison Smith disappeared today in the run game. I seem to remember him cleaning up a lot of running game problems in the past. Perhaps it’s because Joseph is hurt or has lost some of his unworldly strength. 

I think the most disheartening thing about this season so far has been the defense. For Zimmer’s entire tenure all this team has needed, all we’ve looked for is average play from the QB, and we’d be looking at winning a lot of games. 

But this year we’ve needed MVP level play from the QB to win, and even above average performances from the QB have meant losses because the defense can’t hold up its end of the bargain. We don’t lose to Seattle or KC with the defenses of 2015-2018 and the offensive performance we got this year. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the most disheartening thing about this season so far has been the defense. For Zimmer’s entire tenure all this team has needed, all we’ve looked for is average play from the QB, and we’d be looking at winning a lot of games. 

But this year we’ve needed MVP level play from the QB to win, and even above average performances from the QB have meant losses because the defense can’t hold up its end of the bargain. We don’t lose to Seattle or KC with the defenses of 2015-2018 and the offensive performance we got this year. 

As a packer fan speaking for generally the past decade or so, welcome aboard. It's frustrating.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Reality Check:

We can't win on the road, outside, to a good team.

They can...if they cut out the stupid mistakes and big plays.  The losses in KC and Seattle truly came down to 2 plays...a 90-yd run by Williams and a 60 yd pass to Moore.  Those really changed the complexion of both games.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Niners are probably the worst possible matchup for this team...I still think a healthy Vikings can win in Seattle, New Orleans, Cowboys and GreenBay. Not sure about Niners...that defense is an absolute nightmare for not so mobile QBs and their offense will be way too physical to handle for this defense.

Would it be so bad if the refs called a fair game? I know all teams dealing with bad calls but there were 2 false starts and a huge DPI that completely changed the dynamic of the game last night. Seahawks had 1 penalty last night on Trey Flowers. 1 freaking penalty

Then we had the cheerleader coach running up and down the sidelines and I'm pretty sure Russell Wilson cured world hunger during the breaks last night.  

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Niners are probably the worst possible matchup for this team...I still think a healthy Vikings can win in Seattle, New Orleans, Cowboys and GreenBay. Not sure about Niners...that defense is an absolute nightmare for not so mobile QBs and their offense will be way too physical to handle for this defense.

But Garoppolo can ruin everything for them.  That's all that matters...he's better than Trubisky, but I trust him about as much in big spots.  

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Reality Check:

We can't win on the road, outside, to a good team.

As odd as it may sound I'm more confident today then I was before the game yesterday about going on the road and winning in the playoffs. It was a competitive game where Seattle just made a few more plays. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

As odd as it may sound I'm more confident today then I was before the game yesterday about going on the road and winning in the playoffs. It was a competitive game where Seattle just made a few more plays. 

Didn’t have Thielen and Cook (2nd half) either. It was a competitive showing but I just wish we’d be making more progress by now since Zimmer has been here for years. Four to five years ago we would get blown out in this type of game. Now we’re consistently within one score of winning and making it competitive. When do we actually start winning these types of games on the road? Dallas was close, they did have a winning record when we played them but they probably aren’t quite as good as the early season hype. 

• Like 1

I like to stay positive but these types of games are just so frustrating. Time and time again they have a chance to show they, not the same old Vikings and they fail every time. Vikings have 4 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder in the secondary and right now they are the worse unit on the team. The sky is not falling and Vikings are still in a great position. However, eventually, they need to turn the corner. I don't want what happen to Dungy to happen with Zimmer of building a team and someone else gets the Superbowl. However, time is running out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I like to stay positive but these types of games are just so frustrating. Time and time again they have a chance to show they, not the same old Vikings and they fail every time. Vikings have 4 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder in the secondary and right now they are the worse unit on the team. The sky is not falling and Vikings are still in a great position. However, eventually, they need to turn the corner. I don't want what happen to Dungy to happen with Zimmer of building a team and someone else gets the Superbowl. However, time is running out.

If firing Zimmer meant a super bowl I'd be all for it. I don't think it would though