Week #12 Steelers vs. Browns Backyard Brawl Part 2

Steeler Hitman

34 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

I didn’t even know Decastro was fined, that’s absolutely absurd. I don’t really care about fines for the most part but that’s about the dumbest thing. I would assume he’d win that appeal. 

I don’t think Ogunjobi should have been suspended, I think getting ejected was eh but definitely not a suspension on top of that. Also of the opinion they shouldn’t have reduced Pouncey’s. Rudolph I don’t think did anything to warrant anymore than what he got. His involvement was pretty standard for an NFL scuffle.

All I want is a clean game. No injuries and no dumb after the whistle crap. I expect the refs to have a light trigger on their flags, they don’t want anything to get out of hand.

According to Decastro (his fine was almost $15k) he isn't allowed to appeal it for some reason. He said he didn't know why.

I was fine with Pouncey's being reduced to 2 games, I don't know if he actually landed a single punch or kick) but I agree Ogunjobi's should have also been reduced one game. I thought Rudolph should have been ejected and then wouldn't have deserved a suspension much like Ogunjobi. Twisting a players head/helmet and then charging and reaching or swinging (whatever he was doing) a player being held back along with being the first to do anything outside of normal football actions should have had the same punishment as a push or greater.

In retrospect I wish he would have been suspended one game because he would be starting this week and I think that would have been better for the Browns. He just isn't comfortable back there yet.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

In retrospect I wish he would have been suspended one game because he would be starting this week and I think that would have been better for the Browns. He just isn't comfortable back there yet.

I agree he should have been suspended. It's another example of the nfl favouritism towards QB's. He wasn't free of wrong doing , some could debate that he was the instigator with the face masking and then the low strikes. OK, I wanted Hodges to start, but this should have been at least a game for mason.  If he didn't have the facemask and the low strikes, and Garrett just hit him with the QB's  helmet,  the leagues ruling would make more sense.  

The league has a grudge against defenders in general, it's nothing new. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

He is better than foster and pouncey.

The leadership and other things that Pouncey and Foster bring to the OL are evident. I remember the years when Pouncey got hurt and how the OL struggled.  I think BJ is a better run/drive blocker than Foster, but that is it.

The leadership pouncey and foster had actually was (according to bell) the reason bell turned around, he felt unwanted.  Not that I miss bell, but they shouldn't talk about a teammates contract etc. Anyways, that's history anyways :D 

Pouncey was good at one time, but has regressed, Foster as well. Finney was always a better pulling blocker than either and a better overall run blocker that is more versatile.  Foster is stout  though, not many  can push him back to the QB, quite the contrary to pouncey in that regard.  Finney might need work, but this week will be a better test.  He might be better as a G than a C, and C is not easy for everyone to adapt to. 

10 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Finney is better than Pouncey now?

Jesus people...

Now, I would say so , but lets see a few more games. PFF probably would say so , but the reality is that pouncey has fallen off major , and it's not something I will ignore or defend. 

10 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I agree he should have been suspended. It's another example of the nfl favouritism towards QB's. He wasn't free of wrong doing , some could debate that he was the instigator with the face masking and then the low strikes. OK, I wanted Hodges to start, but this should have been at least a game for mason.  If he didn't have the facemask and the low strikes, and Garrett just hit him with the QB's  helmet,  the leagues ruling would make more sense.  

The league has a grudge against defenders in general, it's nothing new. 

I think an ejection would have been fine but since he wasn't he should have got a game. Then again when there aren't injuries you tend to think it's less than if there were injuries. If Garrett had a neck sprain and never retaliated Rudolph surely would have been suspended games. If Rudolph would have been hit with the crown instead of the padded part of the Helmet Garrett would probably have gotten a lifetime ban.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, bigben07MVP said:

I have a bad feeling about this game. The Browns are getting super hot right now and even if our defense plays lights out, I don't know if our offense can keep up. Although not having Garrett taking AV to school all day will help. 

I think Duck helps us due to his ability to extend plays, something that Mason Rudolph simply could not do. 

Do you realize I’ve been waiting to read words like these from a Pittsburgh fan since ‘99? Do you realize how long that is?  Yeah too long. But I’m not sure I agree. We’re still not playing up to our talent. It’s in Pittsburgh (did you notice how I’m typing Pittsburgh?) and we haven’t swept you guys since I believe 1988. Yeah that long ago. 
Anyway, right wrong who’s to blame who isn’t I’m really disappointed how the last game ended. I’m old enough to remember when this was a bonafide rivalry back in the 80s and 90s. I was really hoping this year would bring it back, but who knows now. 
Ravens fans I just hate, you guys ive always at least somewhat respected. I miss some of the old guard in here and the heated conversations we had in here. Anybody remember the spush v bob brown ones? (Albeit we didn’t have any leg to stand on)

Back to the game, I have no clue how it’ll end up. I like Hodges way better than Rudolph. He’s got some game in him. Not necessarily starter game, but pretty decent back up game. Our inept LT may be out to give way to a slightly more inept backup LT. You may want to line more guys up on the strong side, Baker will be rolling out that way more than usual. 

Anywho, I expected more fireworks between our two fan bases and I believe we handled it better than expected. Although one of your cats got banned in our forum. Which I didn’t understand, I thought he was just funny and really offered nothing too controversial. 

49 minutes ago, August4th said:

not gonna lie

the idea of getting swept by the browns makes me sick and they needed for our offense to be in the state that its in to make it happen smh

this 2019 series will get a "*" from me if they win Sunday. it will feel unjust and unearned :ph34r: save us Duck

So every garbage team the browns have trotted out there gets an asterisk too? Cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pnies20 said:

So every garbage team the browns have trotted out there gets an asterisk too? Cool.

I think they always had potential based on talent, look what they did to the Ravens (in baltimore). Asterisk's are a fans friend at times, lets not be too harsh^_^

9 hours ago, pnies20 said:

they might as well

only about 5-6 wins against them have been worth remembering. the rest have been just a blur of wins against really poor teams.

this got me thinking. most memorable Steelers vs Browns games since the return? for me

2002 div game between maddox and holcomb(legit might be a top 3 game in Heinz Field history)

2007 shootout between Ben and Derek Anderson

2009 TNF nightmare in cle

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 3rivers said:

The leadership pouncey and foster had actually was (according to bell) the reason bell turned around, he felt unwanted.  Not that I miss bell, but they shouldn't talk about a teammates contract etc. Anyways, that's history anyways :D 

I am glad the smiley face is there. C'mon man. You mean to tell me that Lev Bell is now the epitome of a great teammate?  It is all about getting the most you can, when you can and the best way that you can. If I recall (correct me if I am wrong) It was Pouncey who was defending Bell.  When Bell hadn't reported, It was Pouncey saying he would because he spoke to Bell personally and assured him that he would be there. He didn't! He lost many of the Ol's trust behind that.  The Steelers still offered him up more money than he received and lost!  Say whatever, but just looks like Bell didn't want to be here. Great back, likeable young guy with an ego and makes some questionable decisions. He is the captain of his ship, name and brand. No hard feelings, but Lev Bell burned bridges, not the other way.

Pouncey was good at one time, but has regressed, Foster as well.

I don't think that anyone thinks that Pouncey is at his apex/prime of play. Despite that he is still arguably a top five in some eyes or at worse a top ten center.  I like Finney too, but he is not in Pounceys class PERIOD!  This isn't about popularity, it is about play and facts.

Finney was always a better pulling blocker than either and a better overall run blocker that is more versatile.  

You have to show me something on this one. Finney has never been a better pulling blocker than Pouncey.  That is probably still Pouncey's best attribute. I like Duck Hodges, but I ain't saying he's better than Brett Farvre, Dree Brees, Big Ben or even Ryan Tannahill.  Pouncey would have been an all pro guard and probably better there than at Center, so the versatility argument with him is  moot in my book. BJ is very much like Foster was when he signed in Pittsburgh. He is not elite, but versatile, competitive, a team guy and pretty good.

Foster is stout  though, not many can push him back to the QB, quite the contrary to Pouncey in that regard.  Finney might need work, but this week will be a better test.  He might be better as a G than a C, and C is not easy for everyone to adapt to. 

He will be at Center again as we have no Pouncey for this game either.  BJ did a great job with the stout front of the Bengals. He will be tested again, but I like what he brings.  That said, yes I would still prefer Pouncey.

Now, I would say so , but lets see a few more games. PFF probably would say so , but the reality is that Pouncey has fallen off major , and it's not something I will ignore or defend. 

I would say that Pouncey and then entire OL has seemed to regress as a unit. I think DeCastro has been better and Big Matt has been consistently solid despite some early struggles. They can use another McNasty or two. Big Al has not been anywhere as consistent or good this year either.  You win in the trenches. We have played some very physical teams who run well and defend the run well. That is how the Steelers were built in the past.  Not having our all of our RB's healthy and a healthy FB has hurt.  Samuels and Edmunds have also struggled to read holes and blocking.  This is where the Steelers do miss Bell. His patience and ability to pick a hole and excel in it quickly is among the NFL's best. It is lose when you draw a line in the sand and have an ultimatum.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

they might as well

only about 5-6 wins against them have been worth remembering. the rest have been just a blur of wins against really poor teams.

this got me thinking. most memorable Steelers vs Browns games since the return? for me

2002 div game between maddox and holcomb(legit might be a top 3 game in Heinz Field history)

The playoff game is one of my very few remember clear as day memories. I remember that game and OSU losing to Northwestern in 2004. I remember Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala to this day, not just because of his name.

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, August4th said:

they might as well

Was the 2009 game the one where Ben got sacked like 8 times? That was so weird.

13 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am glad the smiley face is there. C'mon man. You mean to tell me that Lev Bell is now the epitome of a great teammate?  It is all about getting the most you can, when you can and the best way that you can.

not a fan of Bell at all after he showed up heavy 2 years ago and wanted to be paid much more than other RB's  . He had a top notch OL, we knew it, but he didn't obviously. Look at how he has been this yearxD

The Steelers still offered him up more money than he received and lost!  Say whatever, but just looks like Bell didn't want to be here. Great back, likeable young guy with an ego and makes some questionable decisions. He is the captain of his ship, name and brand. No hard feelings, but Lev Bell burned bridges, not the other way.

Thats the hilarious part about it, Bell's ego cost him major and now he might be 1 and done as well to top it all offxD

Despite that he is still arguably a top five in some eyes or at worse a top ten center.  I like Finney too, but he is not in Pounceys class PERIOD!  This isn't about popularity, it is about play and facts.

normally we see eye to eye, but not here. Pouncey was good most of the time over the years, but this year and even some of last year he has fallen off.  Play and facts, PFF has pouncey one of the worst, and not that PFF is the final word, but it's a decent guideline.  Enough of this though, agree to disagree.

You have to show me something on this one. Finney has never been a better pulling blocker than Pouncey.  That is probably still Pouncey's best attribute.

the games Finney played were some of the best by our RB's.  Others deserve credit and does Munchak, but lets see how Finney plays this week, the pressure is on

I would say that Pouncey and then entire OL has seemed to regress as a unit. I think DeCastro has been better and Big Matt has been consistently solid despite some early struggles

sad how the OL regressed without Munchak , but he was a great OL coach. DDC hasn't been his usual all pro either, but still decent and sometimes good.  Feiler is steady and I would say the most consistent. Better than Hubbard, Beachum etc...

You win in the trenches. We have played some very physical teams who run well and defend the run well. That is how the Steelers were built in the past. 

I prefer this approach to building a team, but ben had other ideas and since it's him and then the rest are "52 children" , we know how that goes. Nice one colbert. Maybe now anyways , Tomlin can run the team the way he wants. I am a proponent for Trench Warfare wins, not defeats. I would say the DL has won that front, but the OL has only done so a few games, the Chargers game for sure.

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Finney is better than Pouncey now?

Jesus people...

I wouldnt necessarily say he has been better, but what area exactly is Pouncey doing well in?    He is the highest paid center in the league and isnt even the top 10....maybe not even top half. 

Dude is a straight up bad run blocker, and he has been more inconsistent with his pass blocking as well.

Pouncey has been overrated forever.   This is coming from someone who desperately wanted him coming out of Florida.      He was notably better when Munch was here, but he has regressed back to being average at best since Munch left.

Is Finney better?   No, but if we could dump Pouncey and his bloated salary today and roll with Finney until we get a long term replacement, Id do it without thinking twice.    Sticking with declining veterans longer than we should has gotten us in trouble before.