Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

That's all that counts … cap hit.  Get it done!

Not really. In that situation you’re basing savings on AAV and spending on cap hit. You can go by one or the other but you can’t switch. If Martinez has an AAV of $10M he probably has a significantly lower year 1 cap hit. No free lunch here

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, I really hope Blake goes somewhere else.  If he does, it means that he will get a great offer, which might help us get a compensatory pick for him depending on how we do free agency.  It will also mean that people will be forced to STFU about Martinez.

Who am I kidding?  People still haven't STFU about Hawk. 

Honestly, I expect us to sign more guys than we will let walk this off-season, so any pick we might get for Martinez is likely off-set by a WR or DT we sign. If we lose Martinez AND Bulaga, we might end up seeing a 3/4. There are a ton of FA QBs this year who could really screw up the 3rd round comp picks tho... 

Brady
Rivers
Bridgewater
Winston

could all see contracts that are like 1/$15m or higher. 

Edited by JBURGE

Clarifying my previous post... if we let Martinez walk, even if we sign Bulaga, we will have like $37m in cap space (cutting Graham and Lane Taylor). We will almost definitely be signing a player for around the same AAV as Martinez. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, CWood21 said:

Since you're so vocal about taking an ILB early, which position are you neglecting early?  OT, WR, DL?  Maybe something else.  We only have 3 picks in the top 96.

We can also use free agency to address those needs. OT, if we re-sign Bulaga is a back up situation. I'd love to get a guy in round 2 or 3 to develop and eventually take over one tackle but we have to be thinking all in if we're riding with Rodgers. Time to make a run and invest. 

I'm all in on Amari Cooper so we could let WR slide. Also, I think there are ILB you can get in round 2 or three. Not sure how deep the IDL depth is this year though. My fear is those with 1st and top half of round 2 grades will be gone at 30. 

I'd like to get Kwiatkowski from the Bears to replace Martinez, but we need one or two more. Hard to imagine Burks will ever be a guy to be counted on. He couldn't get in the lineup this year. No reason to believe he gets there next year either. Only other reason would be they were protecting him with his pec issue. If so, what a waste. 

I was listening to the Score 670 (Chicago), on my way home .. Bears and NFL insider hub Arkush said he expects the Packers to pursue LB'er Nick Kwiatkowski in free agency.  Bears will try to sign one of their two free agency middle backers (Danny Trevathon), but may not be able to afford Kwiatkowski. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Not really. In that situation you’re basing savings on AAV and spending on cap hit. You can go by one or the other but you can’t switch. If Martinez has an AAV of $10M he probably has a significantly lower year 1 cap hit. No free lunch here

Just going to trust Gute on it ... way beyond me.

• Like 1

Man.  If we don't like Martinez on the field.....well....I don't see how we are going to like Kwiatkowski either.  About the only thing that could be said is that at least he cost less than Martinez.  

I believe that if you want better ILB play, get the defensive line "right" in front of them.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man.  If we don't like Martinez on the field.....well....I don't see how we are going to like Kwiatkowski either.  About the only thing that could be said is that at least he cost less than Martinez.  

I believe that if you want better ILB play, get the defensive line "right" in front of them.  

How about both? If Martinez gets to pricey .. there's Kwi.. from Chicago and others that will be cheaper.  If he's not pricey, agree.  Got to have better D line .. period.  

17 hours ago, Golfman said:

We can also use free agency to address those needs. OT, if we re-sign Bulaga is a back up situation. I'd love to get a guy in round 2 or 3 to develop and eventually take over one tackle but we have to be thinking all in if we're riding with Rodgers. Time to make a run and invest. 

I'm all in on Amari Cooper so we could let WR slide. Also, I think there are ILB you can get in round 2 or three. Not sure how deep the IDL depth is this year though. My fear is those with 1st and top half of round 2 grades will be gone at 30. 

Except I'm not sure that's really realistic.  Last year, the Packers had I believe around $35M in cap space and in terms of cap hits they spent just under $24M of that on the FA class.  But I think the more astounding thing was the Packers batted nearly 1.000 on those FA signings.  I think the only FA signing you might argue hasn't worked out is Billy Turner, and he's been a solid albeit unspectacular OG.  Are the Packers going to bat 1.000 again in FA?  I'd imagine not.  But let's go down the list of pressing "needs" our roster has.  We need a WR (x2), TE, OT (depending on what happens with Bulaga), DL, and ILB.  Those are premium needs.  And then you get into those "secondary" needs like IOL, CB, S, etc.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If they come in under 10M, either one works for me. I dont like paying big money to guys who need help in the run and arent really strong in coverage. When you have Martinez or Kwiat in you're relying a ton on the guy next to them for the other half of the field.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If they come in under 10M, either one works for me. I dont like paying big money to guys who need help in the run and arent really strong in coverage. When you have Martinez or Kwiat in you're relying a ton on the guy next to them for the other half of the field.

I'm not going to say that Summers won't look "similar" to Blake or Kwiak or anyone else if we get a better DL in front of him.

And I wish I could say that about Burks.  Who knows.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except I'm not sure that's really realistic.  Last year, the Packers had I believe around $35M in cap space and in terms of cap hits they spent just under $24M of that on the FA class.  But I think the more astounding thing was the Packers batted nearly 1.000 on those FA signings.  I think the only FA signing you might argue hasn't worked out is Billy Turner, and he's been a solid albeit unspectacular OG.  Are the Packers going to bat 1.000 again in FA?  I'd imagine not.  But let's go down the list of pressing "needs" our roster has.  We need a WR (x2), TE, OT (depending on what happens with Bulaga), DL, and ILB.  Those are premium needs.  And then you get into those "secondary" needs like IOL, CB, S, etc.

Was Amos a hit? I don’t remember his name being called at all during the playoffs let alone half of the season. His highlight reel consists of that INT in the first game.

1 minute ago, YaddaHolla said:

Was Amos a hit? I don’t remember his name being called at all during the playoffs let alone half of the season. His highlight reel consists of that INT in the first game.

Solid at best on the season .. a let down in the championship game for sure.  Scheme had him playing deep coverage against the Seahawks I believe .. hard to rack up stats in that one.