Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump.

"the difference in speed between the two teams jumped off the field. Mostert was the fastest player in the game, and 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel and tight end George Kittle are big and fast too. On defense, the 49ers’ front seven, which includes five first-round draft picks in the defensive line rotation, played a tick faster than the Packers’ offense.

The contrast with the Packers’ lack of speed at key positions was stark.

For one, they’re too slow at inside linebacker with Blake Martinez and B.J. Goodson. That position has been devalued in the NFL in the past 15 or 20 years as the league has become more passing oriented, but it might be time for that to change."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2020/01/19/packers-need-another-busy-offseason-close-talent-gap-49-ers/4505472002/

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump. Bump.

"the difference in speed between the two teams jumped off the field. Mostert was the fastest player in the game, and 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel and tight end George Kittle are big and fast too. On defense, the 49ers’ front seven, which includes five first-round draft picks in the defensive line rotation, played a tick faster than the Packers’ offense.

The contrast with the Packers’ lack of speed at key positions was stark.

For one, they’re too slow at inside linebacker with Blake Martinez and B.J. Goodson. That position has been devalued in the NFL in the past 15 or 20 years as the league has become more passing oriented, but it might be time for that to change."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2020/01/19/packers-need-another-busy-offseason-close-talent-gap-49-ers/4505472002/

Speed was the last problem. We got outblocked and badly outcoached.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's never time to start burning priority picks on ILBs.

It worked for the Steelers this year in taking Devin Bush with their 1st rounder, just sayin'. They also had the #1 defense when Shazier was healthy, which completely fell apart when he got hurt, also worth mentioning. I think some people underestimate the importance of off-ball play in a 3-4.

But yeah, I've said this for a while: ILB is a glaring weakness. I held out a glimmer of hope that our other additions on D would somewhat mask the deficiencies at ILB, but sadly, it turns out that was not the case. It didn't help that our DL also couldn't open things up for our ILBs.

Upgrading from Martinez would be wonderful.  It's the cost.  Man, that is going to cost a lot.  And as stated, the issue starts on the DL, not at ILB.  It's a very tough one to figure out.  It isn't like there is someone behind Martinez that can come in and do what he did this year.  Free agency doesn't look to have the answer either.  Draft?  Not wonderful there either.

Can't help but think that the way "out" is to invest in a quality DL to pair with Clark and hope that a 3-5th round pick can get it done.  

Again, it is tough.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't want to pay Blake. I agree that the interior defensive line needs work. Let's get some quality around our blue chipper Kenny Clark and then you'll start to see LBs look better. 

I feel for Blake cuz he was put in bad spots and he isnt as bad as a lot of people think. But I'm still not paying him a market level contract. 

• Like 3

Question:  Why is Martinez thought to be so expensive in free agency?  Other teams have to be able to see what we see....slow...cannot get sideline to sideline anymore....and won't with age get better.  When tackling....doesn't bring a load...always gets dragged for another 2 or 3 yards.  Play 5-6 yards behind the line of scrimmage and rarely moves forward quickly...hesitates...makes himself too easy a target to get blocked.   So he has tons of tackles...yeah....4-6 yard gains per play.  Piles up stats but rarely makes a difference.  A JAG.

Upgrading this defense requires getting rid of players like this.  Replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

I'm sorry but I don't want to pay Blake. I agree that the interior defensive line needs work. Let's get some quality around our blue chipper Kenny Clark and then you'll start to see LBs look better. 

I feel for Blake cuz he was put in bad spots and he isnt as bad as a lot of people think. But I'm still not paying him a market level contract. 

Yeah .. they shouldn't bother resigning him unless his market is really cold.  I'd rather spend the money at DT and have no-namers that are athletic and can run at ILB.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd rather spend my picks and money on the front 5 and throw another 4th rounder back there. 

I see Lowry/Lancaster as 10x more the problem than Martinez/Goodson.

Agreed.  Of all the hills to die on, you're choosing to die on the ILB hill?  It's mind-boggling.  What did Kansas City and San Francisco invest in their ILBs?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  Of all the hills to die on, you're choosing to die on the ILB hill?  It's mind-boggling.  What did Kansas City and San Francisco invest in their ILBs?

Niners play a 4-3 so comparing the LB situation is a bit of apples to oranges.

Niners drafted Fred Warner 70th overall in 2018.

Niners also paid Kwon Alexander in free agency - 4 years $54M.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Niners also paid Kwon Alexander in free agency - 4 years $54M.

You know how much they guaranteed to Kwon Alexander?  $14.25M.  Of that $14.25M, $4M was in the form of a signing bonus.  Nearly 80% of his guaranteed money came in Y1.  He's pretty much on 3 team options at this point.  They didn't sign him with the intention of being a core player.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/kwon-alexander-16850/

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Niners drafted Fred Warner 70th overall in 2018.

Packers drafted Oren Burks 88th overall.  You're not mad about the Packers investing in the ILB position, you're mad about them not hitting with those picks.  Oren Burks was the exact type of prospect you're clamoring for.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You know how much they guaranteed to Kwon Alexander?  $14.25M.  Of that $14.25M, $4M was in the form of a signing bonus.  Nearly 80% of his guaranteed money came in Y1.  He's pretty much on 3 team options at this point.  They didn't sign him with the intention of being a core player.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/kwon-alexander-16850/

The only thing he brings up is mediocre inside linebackers who are fast but not very good.  Kwon Alexander is not some great ILB.  He's actually pretty average.  Must be nice when 4 first round defensive linemen keep you clean. 

He simultaneously rags on Lowry/Lancaster AND Martinez just like he ****s on Thompson while also crapping on McCarthy.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Packers drafted Oren Burks 88th overall.  You're not mad about the Packers investing in the ILB position, you're mad about them not hitting with those picks.  Oren Burks was the exact type of prospect you're clamoring for.

tenor.gif?itemid=14997880

He will never understand.