Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If you don't like Martinez now....you are going to hate Kwiatkowski behind our current DL group.  If there is such a thing, I think he's a poor man's version of Martinez.

Telling yah, it really doesn't matter who plays ILB if our DL remains the same.  That is the position that needs a major upgrade.  Then you can simply draft an ILB in round 3 or later and be more than just fine.  Or...wait out free agency....one of the decent ILB's won't get the big money and could come as a good FA value.

But really, nothing changes at ILB (for the better) unless the DL changes.

That's got to be a given about better DL talent.  If Martinez wants to much I'll take my chances with the Bears kid with a better DL.

18 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Gute said today that he agreed you need speed at LB in today's NFL. Will be interesting to see if that materializes this year into anything. 

That basically tells me that signing Martinez is not step one in the squaring away of the linebacking corps.  Too slow, and not athletic enough. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ignores Fackrell completely wrong arming the pulling guard and blowing outside containment, the dude actually at fault on the play.

Martinez is stepping up into what's supposed to be the inside gap. Fackrell never forces it back in.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ignores Fackrell completely wrong arming the pulling guard and blowing outside containment, the dude actually at fault on the play.

Martinez is stepping up into what's supposed to be the inside gap. Fackrell never forces it back in.

I would like to add that great speed at ILB can make up for other deficiencies on a D. We lack that. All said, I’d like to have Blake back and another ILB to pair with him. 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yep, Fackrell blew this the **** up. Need to keep your shoulders square to the LOS when playing containment, not crash blindly towards the hashes. A classic example of lack of discipline on the edge.

14 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Yep, Fackrell blew this the **** up. Need to keep your shoulders square to the LOS when playing containment, not crash blindly towards the hashes. A classic example of lack of discipline on the edge.

No, he should have his left shoulder on the left shoulder of the pulling guard. He needs to be a step and a half further upfield with his right arm free to the outside

That forces the RB to cut between the pulling guard and the outside blocker, right where Martinez was going.